U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 12:04 AM

14 posts, read 16,861 times

Advertisements

This thread comprises of photos I took this past July when I was mountain biking in the mountains above Boise. The great thing about living in Boise is that immense forests and mountains, whitewater rivers, and lakes, are literally at our back door, as well as beautiful desert scenery.

I posted this thread here since many people have asked in this Idaho forum what the landscape is like around Boise.

Boise is the epitome of the very best of what Idaho has to offer.

Hope you enjoy...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

These pics are taken from the mountains which rise over "wild" Boise looking deep into more mountains and more mountains.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Idahomajesty/GreenView.jpg (broken link)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Idahomajesty/72.jpg (broken link)

The backside of a ridge which rises over Boise. The rock outcropping to the right is easily seen from West Boise and Eagle. There is a great network of mountain biking and hiking trails on the Boise Ridge. I was actually mountain biking when I took this set of pics.

The Treasure Valley looking west of the Boise Metro area into agricultural communities.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Idahomajesty/Forest2.jpg (broken link)

South over areas of Boise toward the Owyhee Mountains. Much of the city is not visible.

One of the mountain tops visible from Boise

The rest of the pics are taken from the area in and around the tallest mountain directly over Boise . The views are North, East and West, (not in any order).
Some of these pics look deep into the largest forested wilderness areas in the Continental United States.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Idahomajesty/100_0538.jpg (broken link)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Idahomajesty/forest4-1.jpg (broken link)

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 08:16 AM

393 posts, read 1,797,570 times
Default Oh My God

I am soooooooo envious! THANK YOU so much for those pics Sawtooth! I am a bicyclist too, only I am a road bicyclist. I hurt my back in 2000 and haven't been able to mountain ride, even with the shocks. Don't get me wrong, I only bike for leisure, but I love to get out into the open space and let her rip......LOL.

I am in NC and looking for a great place to move that I can ride almost year long on the roads, or in the city on the greenways, or out in the country so to speak. I keep up with articles about best biking areas, and I know Boise was in there somewhere along with Eugene, Portland, Seattle areas.

So besides the mtn biking do u think the road biking would be great around that area also?

I love the pics, do u have any of the cities? the parks? the rivers? LOL

I have heard tons about your greenbelt......!!!

MORE!!!! MORE!!!! MORE!!!!!!!!! MORE PICS!!! U started something now, LOL

So, if I want to experience ID, and know what kind of winters u guys have should I visit in January after the holidays? Thats kind of what I am thinking to get the full flavor of ID in winter.....!!!

Bye!

Old 11-11-2006, 11:44 AM

445 posts, read 1,239,099 times
Smile Photos

Hi to Sawtooth!

Thank you for sharing your great pictures taken while biking in the Boise area. Loved 'em!

To Sillygal in NC:

For you, I have temporarily installed two biking pictures from my database into the photo gallery of my newest (still under construction) website.

The pix are (1) mountain biking on Schweitzer Mountain (looking down on the city of Sandpoint and Lake Pend Oreille, pronounced pon-der-ray) and (2) road biking on the Route of the Hiawatha. To see these, go to www.idaho-insider.com and click on the Photo Gallery navigation bar.

Idaho has hundreds of miles of paved road biking trails. The Route of the Hiawatha is 15 miles long (see Wallace, Idaho) and is a paved section of the defunct Milwaukee Railroad grades. The trail winds through 10 tunnels and across 7 high trestles.

The "Taft Tunnel", an underground tunnel nearly two miles long that goes beneath the Idaho/Montana border in the Bitterroot Mountains, is part of this route. Easy enough for wheelchair users to traverse, this is one of the country's most incredible bike trails.

Other hard-surface bike trails of note in Idaho include:

The North Idaho Centennial Trail from Spokane, Washington to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

The world class 32-mile Wood River Trail system from Bellevue to Sun Valley.

Boise's famous riverside Greenbelt.

The 73-mile long Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes in northern Idaho is the world's longest continually paved trail.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Bob

Old 11-11-2006, 05:10 PM

218 posts, read 1,431,126 times
If a picture is worth a thousand words, then these are worth millions!

Old 11-11-2006, 10:30 PM

47 posts, read 135,945 times
WOW I'm so jealous. These pictures are BEAUTIFUL!!!! thanks so much for shareing them. Had no idea it was that forested.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:45 PM

14 posts, read 16,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
I am soooooooo envious! THANK YOU so much for those pics Sawtooth! I am a bicyclist too, only I am a road bicyclist. I hurt my back in 2000 and haven't been able to mountain ride, even with the shocks. Don't get me wrong, I only bike for leisure, but I love to get out into the open space and let her rip......LOL.

I am in NC and looking for a great place to move that I can ride almost year long on the roads, or in the city on the greenways, or out in the country so to speak. I keep up with articles about best biking areas, and I know Boise was in there somewhere along with Eugene, Portland, Seattle areas.

So besides the mtn biking do u think the road biking would be great around that area also?

I love the pics, do u have any of the cities? the parks? the rivers? LOL

I have heard tons about your greenbelt......!!!

MORE!!!! MORE!!!! MORE!!!!!!!!! MORE PICS!!! U started something now, LOL

So, if I want to experience ID, and know what kind of winters u guys have should I visit in January after the holidays? Thats kind of what I am thinking to get the full flavor of ID in winter.....!!!

Bye!
I have some pics from downtown, some parks, and the river. I will probably post them later this week.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM

19 posts, read 79,404 times
Fantastic pics...thanks for sharing!

Old 12-03-2006, 11:02 AM

393 posts, read 1,797,570 times
Default Sawtooth, and Pimit

U guys are da-bomb!!!!!!!!! lol Thank you both so much!!!

Sawtooth, I am so looking forward to more pics!

Pimit, thank you for adding those pics to your website and the info about the biking in ID, I did not know any of that

Old 12-06-2006, 05:55 PM

9 posts, read 39,658 times
Those are some very cool pictures. Boises backyard is the wild

Old 12-06-2006, 08:11 PM

140 posts, read 465,751 times
Nice pics Sawtooth, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area