Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,414 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to Boise from MN for his job....can anyone tell me the best areas to live for young/growing families? Good schools? We have a toddler and one on the way! Also, I'm terrified of snakes (LOL) I realize there would be snakes in the mountains etc, but are they common to see in your yard in a subdivision? Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 03:36 PM

199 posts, read 313,696 times
There is a Boise sub forum within the Idaho forum you might want to check it out since the focus is the Boise area.

Here is a link straight to the Boise forum....
//www.city-data.com/forum/boise-area/

Old 07-09-2015, 02:32 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,157,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer00 View Post
My husband and I are considering relocating to Boise from MN for his job....can anyone tell me the best areas to live for young/growing families? Good schools? We have a toddler and one on the way! Also, I'm terrified of snakes (LOL) I realize there would be snakes in the mountains etc, but are they common to see in your yard in a subdivision? Thanks for your help!!
Seeing a snake in a Boise subdivision is as remote as seeing a snake in a subdivision anywhere else in the nation.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:17 PM

14 posts, read 32,230 times
I would say most of Boise and the surrounding area is ideal for families. In fact i would say it is one of the best in the west for raising a family. Wages may be low in Idaho, but so is cost of living. Serious crime is virtually non-existent. Not sure where your significant other's job is located within Boise, but once the freeway construction is complete, it really only takes about 40 minutes to get from one side of the valley to the other. Within that area there is Nampa, Meridian, Eagle, Kuna, and Boise. For middle income families with jobs in Boise, i usually suggest anywhere in Meridian; South or West Boise are also ideal. If you are looking for budget, search Nampa or south&central Boise bench areas. If you are willing to make a 30-40 minute commute to Boise but get the best place for your budget...i would say East Nampa or West Meridian areas. You can get some nice 2000-3000 sq/ft homes for under $200,000. If you are fairly well off and willing to fork out some money, you can get into the foothills of north Boise or the Eagle area.

I wouldn't worry about snakes. Unless you are in a more rural farmland area or in the foothills, ....they are very rare within the valley.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-09-2015, 04:00 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,798,727 times
Also, the search feature here on CDF is your friend. There is a wealth of information in older posts waiting to help you out.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:23 PM

719 posts, read 1,557,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer00 View Post
I have garter snakes in my yard although they aren't a nuisance at all and probably help cut down on bugs and little critters. I live in a somewhat older neighborhood with mature landscaping and all the lots are 1-2 acres so it isn't a typical subdivision type of neighborhood (I'm not sure I ever seen a snake at my old place).

The Boise area is a great place for a young family as far as I'm concerned - we have three young kids and are happy to raise them here. I'd stick to Ada County if you can afford it but home values are lower in Canyon County if you're on a tighter budget. If you have a job nailed down that's great because you can pick where to live within a reasonable commuting distance.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:58 PM

742 posts, read 1,121,190 times
Coworker had a 2 hour commute from downtown to her home in Nampa Tuesday night because of a combination of traffic, construction, and an accident.

Just a thought for those who continue to suggest Nampa as a viable place to live while working in the downtown area.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:22 PM

731 posts, read 951,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Coworker had a 2 hour commute from downtown to her home in Nampa Tuesday night because of a combination of traffic, construction, and an accident.

Just a thought for those who continue to suggest Nampa as a viable place to live while working in the downtown area.
I make that drive at least 3 times a week, coming and going, during normal commute hours. Since Feb., I've never had that run take me more than an hour. Two hours is NOT the norm. Stop trying to scare people.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:33 AM

742 posts, read 1,121,190 times
I didn't say it was the NORM. I said it was a possibility when there are accidents (which happen frequently). And guess what... there are really no alternative routes to get past it, either (that aren't themselves congested).

I think I'll trust the person I've known (in real life, no less) for 10 years and work with every day over some random on the internet.

Those reading this post can figure it all out for themselves.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:24 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,798,727 times
I think people should be aware of how bad things can be on a bad day. It does help paint an overall picture of an area.

For example, when commuting from South Orange County to Los Angeles for work (I worked graveyards most of my law enforcement career), I could usually cover the 66 miles in roughly 1:30 going in around 7PM to start at 9PM. And when I'd get off at 7AM, I was mostly home by 8:45-9AM.

But on a bad day, even at night, it could take me 2-2.5 hours to get to work, and 3+ hours to get home. Not often, but at least once or twice a month.

Worst ever, I had a court testimony appearance on a trial in downtown LA, and got out of CCB (Criminal Courts Building) at 5PM on a holiday weekend Friday. And the news reported several accidents on all the potential freeways I needed to take. It took me 5 hours to get home. And that's just actual driving time. I actually stopped and went to dinner and a movie trying to let the traffic disperse...but it only helped a little...I was still stuck in the tail end of the problems after that.

My point is...that I think it's valuable for VandalsLOL to share a potential worst case scenario, so people have an idea that it CAN actually get very bad at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: