Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 02:47 AM

65 posts, read 110,924 times

Advertisements

How is the Emmett area so far as tolerating an older low profile female couple? Not familiar with the area at all, only been once to the state way back in the '70's. Currently in the high desert of...wait for it...CA (for decades).
Our politics are kind of middle of the road, currently live in an extremely conservative town which oddly is also extremely big on limiting personal freedom and privacy, need to get away from that!! The drought is the straw that broke the camel's back and we feel that it is being exploited by the state to grab and control all the water in the future, if it ever rains again or not. I am not willing to give up gardening and having animals so Emmett sounds like the perfect place for that with irrigation water, 4 season climate and horse property.
We would relocate to a small animal friendly acreage with a modest mfg. home, garden, do woodworking and crafts, like small town life and nature. No big city, bright lights, for us unless starry skies count as lights. We are so NOT CA people and are being zoned out and overrun by "city people" who do not want livestock in their neighborhoods, want everything paved over, wall to wall tract housing and blasting weekend parties. We feel we would fit in perfectly in a quiet ag town like Emmett, the only big question mark is would we be accepted and not harrassed or worse since gay? Friendly neighbors are important to us, especially so since we are retired seniors and just want to live in peace and quiet with our critters and hobbies. Does ID sound like our kind of place? Runner up area we also like would be central OR but already we are pretty much priced out of there. Any other Treasure Valley areas that might work for us and not more than an hour to Boise for major shopping, medical etc. Thanks, hoping for helpful responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 08:24 AM

719 posts, read 1,556,498 times
I think it's unlikely you'd have any significant trouble as long as you're good neighbors. In terms of culture, what you'd find in Emmett or pretty much anywhere in rural Idaho is pretty much exactly in line with what you'd find in Central or Eastern Oregon outside of Bend. I grew up in Central Oregon and live in Boise now so I'm real familar with both areas. With the exceptions of parts of Bend and parts of Boise, both areas tend to be very conservative but also tend to be pretty strongly live and let live as long as you mind your own business and don't trample on others.

Up the highway towards Idaho City is another area you might look into if you're interested in more of a mountain type atmosphere. There's also a ton of rural farmland in southern Ada and Canyon counties that would be within an hour of Boise. And actually even the area out to the west of Emmett might work for you - New Plymouth, Fruitland, etc. As you get further west you might be stretching the distance a little too far, though. The thing that's nice about Emmett is you're over the hill from the Treasure Valley so you're out of the population, but it's an easy hop back over the hil and into town when you need services or want to eat at a nice place.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:27 PM

Thank You IdaD for your helpful info. Emmett seems just about perfect but we will also check the other areas you mentioned. I do like the idea of Emmett being over the hill from Boise in a separate valley, its similar to our situation where we live now with mountains separating us from big metro area.We are trying to avoid any areas that are poised for imminent urban growth. If we can get maybe 10 years of a new place staying as a rural area would work for us.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:20 PM

879 posts, read 2,846,931 times
Most Idahoans are friendly and don't care about what you do on your own property. It is your fellow Californians moving to Idaho for "religious freedom to discriminate" that you have to worry about.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Most Idahoans are friendly and don't care about what you do on your own property. It is your fellow Californians moving to Idaho for "religious freedom to discriminate" that you have to worry about.
There is some serious truth to this comment.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:24 PM

Could you explain more what you mean by Californians moving to ID for "religious freedom to discriminate"? I am not sure if you mean its a particular subset of very conservative religious Californians who are moving from CA in general and happen to be choosing ID or you mean ID is attracting same as ID somehow promotes "religious freedom to discriminate"? We really would not want to relocate anywhere where religious freedom to discriminate (are we talking new laws being proposed or?) is promoted.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsue-z View Post
I am not sure if you mean its a particular subset of very conservative religious Californians who are moving from CA in general and happen to be choosing ID or you mean ID is attracting same as ID somehow promotes "religious freedom to discriminate"? We really would not want to relocate anywhere where religious freedom to discriminate (are we talking new laws being proposed or?) is promoted.
A little bit of both. Idaho has always been conservative in a traditional sense I suppose. Key words: work hard, keep to yourself/privacy, limited government, land rights, etc. (painting a broad picture here). Idaho has had high profile Democrats in the past but those core Idaho values remained. However, this is before a lot of social issues cropped up (i.e. gay rights).

As the population has grown in Idaho the state has actually become more "Red" with exceptions being City of Boise (mayor in Boise is a non-partisan post but the mayor is a registered Democrat) and a few other little pockets. For whatever reason in the last decade or two Idaho has been painted as some great place for people who hate the government, California, immigrants and others. This may be in part due to high profile media spectacles in the 1990s that weren't at all representative of Idahoans. Idaho has is also very homogeneous, which appeals to certain groups of people.

While not necessarily the largest population moving to Idaho, the Conservative Christians and generally older conservatives moving in tend to be the loudest and they tend to vote. The Governor of Idaho seems wildly unpopular yet keeps getting voted in. Younger people and many native Idahoans don't particularly care for him because he's made a spectacle of Idaho and doesn't seem to be the most Kosher politician. Yet, especially the younger people, don't vote (or they leave). However, this type of spectacle is what lures many to Idaho.

Anywho, sorry for the wordy reply. Day to day I don't think you would have a problem. I think a Conservative Californian is generally much more in your face than a Conservative Idahoan. As a gay person I would be much more comfortable in the Boise Metro or even much of rural Idaho, than say Bakersfield. I don't believe any outlandish laws are on the books but do keep in mind there are plenty of legislators happy to create outlandish discriminatory laws in Idaho that no one really wants or cares about. A lot of this I sometimes wonder is some secret campaign to make Idaho seem crazy thus attracting these ultra Conservatives and making Idaho even more red. But maybe I'm a conspiracy theorists. haha

Old 07-22-2015, 02:36 PM

I think that last bit is a reach, boi2socal. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the ultraconservatives moving into the state are a vocal minority rather than the norm. In the long run I sort of expect Idaho to follow in the footsteps of Oregon as Boise grows and the urban population starts to control the state more than the rural population. If you just look at sheer land area, a lot more of Oregon is very conservative than is very liberal. But the Willamette Valley population dominates a lot of state politics. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same thing eventually happen in Idaho. Natives of both states have a similar libertarian independent streak to them.

Plus, young people are just less conservative, at least with respect to social issues. That demographic fact alone will dictate the direction we will move as a state and nation. Whether anybody thinks that's good or bad, it's an undeniable fact.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:42 PM

742 posts, read 1,120,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
. I don't believe any outlandish laws are on the books but do keep in mind there are plenty of legislators happy to create outlandish discriminatory laws in Idaho that no one really wants or cares about. A lot of this I sometimes wonder is some secret campaign to make Idaho seem crazy thus attracting these ultra Conservatives and making Idaho even more red. But maybe I'm a conspiracy theorists. haha
https://www.hcn.org/issues/45.8/how-...ed-north-idaho

Old 07-22-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
I think that last bit is a reach, boi2socal. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the ultraconservatives moving into the state are a vocal minority rather than the norm. In the long run I sort of expect Idaho to follow in the footsteps of Oregon as Boise grows and the urban population starts to control the state more than the rural population. If you just look at sheer land area, a lot more of Oregon is very conservative than is very liberal. But the Willamette Valley population dominates a lot of state politics. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same thing eventually happen in Idaho. Natives of both states have a similar libertarian independent streak to them.

Plus, young people are just less conservative, at least with respect to social issues. That demographic fact alone will dictate the direction we will move as a state and nation. Whether anybody thinks that's good or bad, it's an undeniable fact.
That was a bit tongue in cheek.

With that said - and a bit off topic - I really think it would be helpful for the Boise Chamber/Visitors Bureau to market to the LGBT population to combat negative views of Idaho. I think this would be a boon to high tech and other professional employers who have recruitment troubles. I think the community is ready for it. Gay rights are a big barometer of acceptance for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area