Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 02:24 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
That's nice to hear. My brother is considering a move to Boise from Virginia and I recently posted a thread asking for some tips/advice about which areas to explore and check out while we visit the BSU campus. ONE person replied. I'm guessing that maybe if I weren't such an outspoken CALIFORNIA LIBERAL!!!1, maybe people would have contributed a bit more to the discussion. But who knows?
I onced lived on the West Coast, specifically the Seattle area. I've been living in the South for most of my life now. Oddly enough, no southern accent to speak of. I've considered moving to Boise at times, particularly when I was unemployed. I'm employed now, so I am in Atlanta to stay. I have considered moving to Boise, as well as back to the Seattle area. A big part of me wants to go west again.

As for your brother, I can say moving to ID will be quite different from Virginia. Btw, what part of Virginia is he from.

As for my experiences with Californians, I haven't had many negative experiences with them. Some are outspoken liberals. Some aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 02:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
"(Also, it's somewhat laughable that you are inferring that equity locusts from other states are "paying their own way," when we saw only a few years ago how dire the foreclosure situation was, and where many of those foreclosures were. It's all timing and luck, and likely very little hard work)

Although I haven't researched it, I would bet that CA provides more via low income/no income benefits than ID does. If so (and again, am pretty sure that is the case), why would anyone leave CA for ID if they were collecting State benefits?

In addition, how would they manage the cost of moving, securing new digs, paying new license fees, etc? The premise that those collecting benefits are moving to ID from CA is pretty far-fetched.

As far as I can tell, the majority coming from CA (currently, and in the last 4-5 years) are retirees, who have a retirement INCOME. In addition, many of those retirees bought their homes a very long time ago and had either paid off their mortgages, or were close to it.

Frankly, I resent your use of "equity locusts" and assumption that "very little hard work" was involved.

In any given geographical area, and time frame, there are a multitude of fairly complicated reasons why the cost of real estate rises, to use Californians (or any other group) as the "cause" is intellectually lazy.

The answer is they don't. The people who are cleaning out the stores in ID with their EBT aren't coming from CA. The ones in CA who are on EBT, rental assistance, etc. have it good. They're not going to leave CA, unless CA starts to wise up and cut out some of the goodies.

Just as an example I was having a casual conversation with a woman regarding her elderly father. Her brother was going have him come to NV, a doctor told them keep your dad in CA he has Medi Cal, going to NV means a reduction in his benefits.

You're correct, the people moving are people who are selling house in CA that they paid next to nothing for 35 years ago, they own it free and clear and sell for $700K. Pay cash for house in ID, have plenty left over, keep a nice home, and mind their own business, and spend money eating out and supporting local businesses.....sound like horrible people.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:40 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I onced lived on the West Coast, specifically the Seattle area. I've been living in the South for most of my life now. Oddly enough, no southern accent to speak of. I've considered moving to Boise at times, particularly when I was unemployed. I'm employed now, so I am in Atlanta to stay. I have considered moving to Boise, as well as back to the Seattle area. A big part of me wants to go west again.

As for your brother, I can say moving to ID will be quite different from Virginia. Btw, what part of Virginia is he from.

As for my experiences with Californians, I haven't had many negative experiences with them. Some are outspoken liberals. Some aren't.

Seattle is once of my favorite places in the country- you're lucky you got to live there.

Good question about my brother. He lives in Northern VA in Fairfax County (outside of DC), and has mostly lived there his whole life, while I and my sister grew up in other places because my dad was in the military (we were both born in NC). We have tons of family from both the South (Louisiana, NC, VA) and out West (CA). In any event, him moving to Boise would be an enormous change, and ultimately, I think that's what he's looking for. He's likes CA a lot and has visited me a few times since I left from NC ten years ago, but he realizes the COL is insane and it wouldn't be a good place for him to get started. He hasn't been to Seattle or Portland, but they're pretty similar to the Bay Area, and Boise is so much more affordable then either of them, so he ruled them out of his college search. He applied to Washington State, Boise State, and Colorado State and BSU is his top choice. I definitely wouldn't call him liberal like me, but he's not exactly conservative either, so it'll be interesting to see what his thoughts are about Boise.

And for the record, I may be pretty liberal, but my parents and most of my cousins from Louisiana are definitely Republicans. We still manage to get along and respect each other's worldviews and differences. It's really not that difficult.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:17 PM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times
Honestly if he gets into all three schools, I'd advise him to go to Colorado State. Fort Collins is pretty cool, too.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:58 PM

731 posts, read 957,845 times
Time news for this discussion:

Half of California's undocumented immigrants could qualify for Medi-Cal - San Jose Mercury News

Old 11-13-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Honestly if he gets into all three schools, I'd advise him to go to Colorado State. Fort Collins is pretty cool, too.
I've told him he needs to visit all three schools to decide for himself, but he's pretty set on BSU. I consider it a small victory he even wants to check out Boise, let alone considering leaving his hometown, so one step at a time. haha

Old 11-13-2015, 05:54 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Seattle is once of my favorite places in the country- you're lucky you got to live there.

Good question about my brother. He lives in Northern VA in Fairfax County (outside of DC), and has mostly lived there his whole life, while I and my sister grew up in other places because my dad was in the military (we were both born in NC). We have tons of family from both the South (Louisiana, NC, VA) and out West (CA). In any event, him moving to Boise would be an enormous change, and ultimately, I think that's what he's looking for. He's likes CA a lot and has visited me a few times since I left from NC ten years ago, but he realizes the COL is insane and it wouldn't be a good place for him to get started. He hasn't been to Seattle or Portland, but they're pretty similar to the Bay Area, and Boise is so much more affordable then either of them, so he ruled them out of his college search. He applied to Washington State, Boise State, and Colorado State and BSU is his top choice. I definitely wouldn't call him liberal like me, but he's not exactly conservative either, so it'll be interesting to see what his thoughts are about Boise.

And for the record, I may be pretty liberal, but my parents and most of my cousins from Louisiana are definitely Republicans. We still manage to get along and respect each other's worldviews and differences. It's really not that difficult.
I lived further north, in Everett. I was a kid when I lived there. I enjoyed it. I can't return now because of cost of living.

Northern Virginia is quite different from the rest of Virginia. Virginia went for President Obama twice. Alot of those votes came from NoVa. Northern Virginia is definitely different from Idaho. Everything from the politics to the landscape and the weather. From what some people tell me, the cost of living in Northern Virginia is very high.

Where I live, in the Atlanta area, more and more people from Virginia are moving to GA. There are also people moving to GA from Florida, Louisiana, California, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, basically, all over. I have not heard of many people from Idaho going to the Atlanta area.

I can understand one liking California. There are many cool things out there. And as you say, the cost of living is prohibitive. Some people will blame taxes. There are high taxes in other places. However, I would say that California got to a point where there wasn't enough room for everyone.

I don't think I know one conservative in my family. Then again, I wonder what part race plays in this. I won't speak anymore on that in terms of politics. I have family from Louisiana, and from the Midwest. The Upper Midwest is a place I could see myself living in.

Initially, I never thought of Boise as a place to live, until the last few years(going back to 2011). Part of it came from when I was younger. I went through Idaho one time, the panhandle area. Besides potatoes and skiing, the first thing I heard of was that stuff taking place at Ruby Ridge/Hayden Lake. I got over that later on. Being someone who would like to go west again, Boise is a moderate size city, and being where it is, it holds a curiosity with me. I know about Seattle, and like it, but I can't really live there at the moment. Seattle has gotten very expensive. Atlanta is getting expensive too, in terms of rent.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:22 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I think license plate sitings are interesting, but they never really tell the true story.

My guess about a third are those returning to Idaho. Another third are those who may be tourists or visiting family here, or are here on visits or vacation...(vacation not so much this time of year except for Sun Valley). The last third might just be rental cars.

So my advice is to never judge a vehicle by the plate. It can mean so many different things at the end of the day.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I lived further north, in Everett. I was a kid when I lived there. I enjoyed it. I can't return now because of cost of living.

Northern Virginia is quite different from the rest of Virginia. Virginia went for President Obama twice. Alot of those votes came from NoVa. Northern Virginia is definitely different from Idaho. Everything from the politics to the landscape and the weather. From what some people tell me, the cost of living in Northern Virginia is very high.

Where I live, in the Atlanta area, more and more people from Virginia are moving to GA. There are also people moving to GA from Florida, Louisiana, California, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, basically, all over. I have not heard of many people from Idaho going to the Atlanta area.

I can understand one liking California. There are many cool things out there. And as you say, the cost of living is prohibitive. Some people will blame taxes. There are high taxes in other places. However, I would say that California got to a point where there wasn't enough room for everyone.

I don't think I know one conservative in my family. Then again, I wonder what part race plays in this. I won't speak anymore on that in terms of politics. I have family from Louisiana, and from the Midwest. The Upper Midwest is a place I could see myself living in.

Initially, I never thought of Boise as a place to live, until the last few years(going back to 2011). Part of it came from when I was younger. I went through Idaho one time, the panhandle area. Besides potatoes and skiing, the first thing I heard of was that stuff taking place at Ruby Ridge/Hayden Lake. I got over that later on. Being someone who would like to go west again, Boise is a moderate size city, and being where it is, it holds a curiosity with me. I know about Seattle, and like it, but I can't really live there at the moment. Seattle has gotten very expensive. Atlanta is getting expensive too, in terms of rent.
You are certainly correct about NOVA- it might as well be a different state than the rest of VA. It feels much more like a NE city than part of the South. While I don't mind coming home to visit my parents in the summer and Fall, I really don't care for the area, and I think my brother is dying to get away too. Since he doesn't have a degree, he's essentially forced to live at home with my parents and wait tables, and he's ready to try some place different.

He's been to far Northern CA (Mt Shasta area) and Southern Oregon (Ashland) and he really liked the scenery and the vibe, so I guess he's hoping for something similar in Idaho. Whether those areas are comparable remains to be seen. He eventually wants to settle down and raise a family, so he's already ruled out expensive cities, and he's spent enough time in NC (where my sister lives) to know that he doesn't want to live in the South.

While I've only spent time in Idaho Falls and driven through Idaho on my way to Yellowstone, I thought it was a gorgeous place and I'm excited to go back and visit. As far as me leaving California for it? I'm not so sure I would fit in. My partner and I have talked about possibly moving to Seattle or Portland, but in the end, we'd be trading a lower cost of living for worse weather, and I'd be making about 40% less than what I earn here in the Bay Area, so we aren't exactly in a rush to make such a drastic change. I'm definitely curious to see what Boise is like though, and I'm excited for my brother to have the opportunity to move there if he decides it's a good fit. I have to admit, I'd like to have him closer out West and nearby, since I don't get to see him in VA as often as I'd like.

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 11-13-2015 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area