Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 03:38 PM

742 posts, read 1,129,072 times

Advertisements

Californians, you might be in luck...

My friends and I were discussing the absurd amount of Texas license plates we've seen here in Boise as of late. I saw about 6 just last night driving to Home Depot, down State St. and back. 2 in the HD parking lot as well (to be fair, there were about 4 California plates, but that's to be expected up here in Northeastern California).

I wonder what's up. Maybe Texas is going overtake California as the leading refugees into Idaho, probably as more and more Californians invade Texas. :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 05:08 PM

88 posts, read 213,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post

My friends and I were discussing the absurd amount of Texas license plates we've seen here in Boise as of late. I saw about 6 just last night driving to Home Depot, down State St. and back. 2 in the HD parking lot as well (to be fair, there were about 4 California plates, but that's to be expected up here in Northeastern California).

I wonder what's up. Maybe Texas is going overtake California as the leading refugees into Idaho, probably as more and more Californians invade Texas. :
I had a fishing buddy who moved to Nor Cal from Utah and Montana where he used to guide fly fishing trips. I asked him if they hated Californians as much as it sounds and he paused and said "not as much as they hate Texans."
So there ya go!

Old 08-14-2015, 05:29 PM

731 posts, read 958,430 times
There is a pervasive, not-quite-underlying tone of California almost-hate going on in these forums.

We do not invade.

We are not all bad.

We are not all the same.

We do not all demand Trader Joe's, the Cheesecake Factory, or Mediterranean-style homes, malls, or food.

Many of use LIKE Idaho for the same reasons native Idahoans do.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:05 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,152 times
Quote:

If it is any consolation I see a ton of Texas plates in California. Like a ridiculous amount.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
There is a pervasive, not-quite-underlying tone of California almost-hate going on in these forums.

We do not invade.

We are not all bad.

We are not all the same.

We do not all demand Trader Joe's, the Cheesecake Factory, or Mediterranean-style homes, malls, or food.

Well, I'll argue until I'm blue in the face that there's a pervasive, not-quite-underlying tone of California almost-hate going on in Boise and Idaho, too.

It is what it is. And it's something that's been lingering, sometimes under the surface, sometimes in the open, for at least 20 years, but perhaps longer. It has only intensified, and will only intensify as Idaho grows.

Go to almost any forum on City Data, do a search for "California" or "Californians" and you'll get hundreds of threads with the same complaints.

So it's only natural people will talk about it.

It has nothing to do with anyone in particular. I have many good friends from California here. I have many good friends IN California.

But you can't say y'all aren't invading, either. Proof is in the pudding.

By the way... 15 minute drive down State St. to Home Depot, another 15 minutes back. Saw 22 California plates, 4 Texas plates, and probably 12 Washington plates. And one Vermont, so that was neat.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:23 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post

We do not invade.

We are not all bad.

We are not all the same.

And all of the CA bashers are 'natives of Idaho', right? Not! I wonder if they were welcomed into Idaho or treated as lepers?

Old 08-16-2015, 04:36 PM

42 posts, read 79,958 times
Quote:

I can tell you being a native Idahoan, after living in Texas for about 17 years... Idaho is heaven. Less crowded, if it's 110 degrees you can escape to the mountains, rush hour doesn't last 3 hours. Parks are usually free and don't have an hour wait to just get in.

I can tell you any place like Redfish Lake, Lucky Peak, Kirham hotspring, would be flooded with 10's of thousands daily if they were in TX.

On a side note/rant: I have relatives in Moscow that have seen numerous people from CA sell their 1200 sqft homes for 700k+ and literally buy the sides of mountains outside of Moscow to build their McMansions on. I kid you not, literally the sides of Mountains.

Also yes, I live in Austin a tech hub so the number of California plates are off the charts here, moreso than what I see in Boise.

So yeah, I'm not surprised to see some TX plates up there. Also I wear Idaho shirts all the time down here.

I think you might just be seeing some Texans trying to escape the heat visiting north. Where the CA plates are probably scouting for a new home.

But in time if professional jobs increase in Boise, then you might see more southerners move due to TX housing being pressured in price based on the flood of people moving down here. It's amazing what people will put up with for a paycheck.

Last edited by pauls931; 08-16-2015 at 04:49 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 05:47 PM

"It's amazing what people will put up with for a paycheck."

My thoughts, exactly, on California. Many of my friends stay because of the pay, and yet, they hate the life, the politics, the overcrowding and more.

No matter how much money you make, if you don't like where you live, how can you be happy?

Old 08-16-2015, 06:00 PM

"But you can't say y'all aren't invading, either. Proof is in the pudding."

Yes, I can. We're not invading.

I don't believe many who come here, wherever they are coming from, intend to "invade". That term obviously has negative connotations and leaves a very bad taste in ones mouth.

Relocate, immigrate, transfer...yes. Invade, no.

I hope that others reading these boards do not think that they are not welcome based on the negative connotations some posters give Californians.

The Idahoans (be they natives or transplants) I've met in real life here, and most I've encountered on these boards, have been kind, welcoming, forthcoming with information and just good people. A big reason why I chose to move here.

Idahoans have a good rep, hopefully we transplants can add to that.

While helping the unfortunate ranchers/homeowners who lost grazing lands, cattle and some their homes, I encountered some truly amazing people! Strong, unbroken, ready to pick up the pieces and begin again. Not defeated. And guess what, more than a few of those helping were CALIFORNIANS!

We're not all the same, and we're not all bad.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:58 AM

I suppose it's all perspective and opinion. For many it probably does feel like an invasion; for others, such as yourself, it doesn't. Okay, fine.

But let's not pretend I'm the only one who feels this way. Like I said before, there's almost 10 years history of this particular forum where this topic comes up time and time again, and there have been many posters beside me who have voiced this same opinion, and it's common enough that it's usually the first question someone from California asks. Moreover, there are other states, like Oregon, Washington, Montana, Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, and likely Texas and Tennessee, where these very same threads and discussions are happening.

I don't think its a stretch to say that similar sentiment is found beyond this forum among the general population. In fact, I know it for a fact it's pretty common. People won't be in your face or rude about it, but it's there. It comes up in campaigns (just last election season, for example). Famously, former Oregon Governor McCall once said about Californians many decades ago in his famous “Come visit, don’t stay” slogan: “I urge them to come and come many, many times to enjoy the beauty of Oregon. But I also ask them, for heaven’s sake, don’t move here to live.”

All of that said, I don't think anyone thinks particular Californians are bad or that you are all the same. Not at all. It's more about the idea than it is about the people themselves. Just as I said earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area