Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:00 AM

335 posts, read 376,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Hogwash? I actually use to live near Nampa and go there frequently. Have you lived there for an extended period of time? Peanut butter???? Haaaaa! Try again. The smell was more like rotting corpses than peanuts. In fact, i live right near a dairy farm now and much more prefer the stench of the cow manure to that gnarly sugar beet or whatever weird factories they have in Nampa. The smell was so bad i would have to keep my face in my shirt to breathe when walking outside. Yes, certain farther out neighborhoods miss the smell, but most of Nampa gets the joys of the aroma to some degree or other.
So Boisebound is right. Nampa has nice value areas. I did not smell anything when I was looking there. Personally I passed on a house in South Meridian because of the cow stench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:56 PM

232 posts, read 565,385 times
Quote:
Great to hear Merry!! Although, I believe I did live there in 2011 or so, but perhaps the emission reduction happened at a slow place. Nampa, I always thought was a great place with inexpensive property, but that damn factory just made the town stank.. If the town now has a more palatable scent, I would definitely encourage people to consider living there. It has a lot good shopping, not too much crime and even less traffic than Boise, which still doesn't have much traffic in my book. But I am in Seattle, so I could only appreciate Boise's traffic now.

I live in Nampa, fairly close to Lake Lowell. We moved here in 2011 and I did smell the sugar beet plant a couple of times, but like others have said, it's smells like peanut butter. It never got to be too bad for me, just an occasional whiff. By the summer of 2012, I don't think I smelled more than once or twice, and in the summers since then, nothing. It's not that I've gotten used to it.....it just doesn't smell like it used to. I did drive right past it about a week ago, and could barely smell anything right there next to it, so obviously it's much better.

I don't regret moving to Nampa at all....

Old 07-29-2015, 07:24 AM

335 posts, read 376,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac View Post
I live in Nampa, fairly close to Lake Lowell. We moved here in 2011 and I did smell the sugar beet plant a couple of times, but like others have said, it's smells like peanut butter. It never got to be too bad for me, just an occasional whiff. By the summer of 2012, I don't think I smelled more than once or twice, and in the summers since then, nothing. It's not that I've gotten used to it.....it just doesn't smell like it used to. I did drive right past it about a week ago, and could barely smell anything right there next to it, so obviously it's much better.

I thought the area around like Lowell was beautiful.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:17 AM

731 posts, read 957,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac View Post

Lake Shore Drive is gorgeous! Beautiful area!! Going to do some "hiking" around there this Fall.

Happy to know my nose isn't malfunctioning (peanut butter)!

Old 07-29-2015, 08:20 AM

731 posts, read 957,727 times
Quote:
Hogwash? I actually use to live near Nampa and go there frequently. Have you lived there for an extended period of time? Peanut butter???? Haaaaa! Try again. The smell was more like rotting corpses than peanuts. In fact, i live right near a dairy farm now and much more prefer the stench of the cow manure to that gnarly sugar beet or whatever weird factories they have in Nampa. The smell was so bad i would have to keep my face in my shirt to breathe when walking outside. Yes, certain farther out neighborhoods miss the smell, but most of Nampa gets the joys of the aroma to some degree or other.

Things change apparently. And yes, it smells like peanut butter.

Nampa is nice, visit and see!

Old 07-29-2015, 12:13 PM

447 posts, read 651,425 times
do you smell some things from time to time in nampa or kuna etc. because of dairies and the factory sure but I wouldn't let it run me off owning a nice property there. I have other reasons for preferring boise over all other cities in the area but having gone to school in nampa at NNU its not a bad place overall

Old 07-29-2015, 12:17 PM

88 posts, read 213,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
Your going to have to hunt. I looked at all area's. It's mostly dependent where you see value. Nice quality homes will come on line for a decent price. To get these you have to be right on it just like buying anything else. Meridian is nice. I liked south meridian best just because of NEagle road and flood zones. Personally, the road has so much traffic that I hope that I won't have to drive down it again for the rest of my life. First find the area you like best. Then look for a house in that area or wait for one to come on line then lock it up under contract. You can can always get out of the contract in first week or so. Its just like buying anything else really. If you see a good deal you better be on it. The motto snooze you loose applies. There is also another strategy you can use. Look for houses than have been on for a while and just low ball folks. The owner occupied ones will bite. As the time has worn them out and they get desperate. These are usually over priced anyway. Until the price reaches the value zone they will get nothing.
Thanks a ton Mickdoo!
I noticed on realtor.com that the "recently sold" houses don't display prices or sold dates...an interesting strategy from the realtor market I imagine.
We wouldn't be looking for a newer home and have humble expectations provided the house is safe, secure and in a decent area...with a decent backyard. Our current house is from 1965 and fairly beat up so the bar is low
Thanks for the info regarding approaching the market too. I definitely want an area with less traffic. Expanding the search to include Nampa now that it appears the stank has settled down too.
Very interested in following your home search thread too. Thanks for all the info!
-Glen

Old 07-29-2015, 12:40 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,539 times
Even the slaughter house closed down out there which also attributed to the smell. I think it smelled worse than the sugar beet factory.

Although since then I've discovered two other places that give off a smell sometimes and both of them are Simplot properties. I'm not sure what they do there. One small one is off of Middleton Rd near Cherry Ln. I think it has something to do with flowers. The other one is much larger and is a Simplot Plant that I want to say is off of 20/26. It looks really modern. We came across it on the way back from Wilder and it gave off this smell that got our attention. Looking at a map it looks like it could be off of 19/Simplot Blvd from Wilder. There are a couple Simplot properties out there, but nothing much else.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:12 PM

742 posts, read 1,128,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead69 View Post
Thanks a ton Mickdoo!
I noticed on realtor.com that the "recently sold" houses don't display prices or sold dates...an interesting strategy from the realtor market I imagine.
We wouldn't be looking for a newer home and have humble expectations provided the house is safe, secure and in a decent area...with a decent backyard. Our current house is from 1965 and fairly beat up so the bar is low
Thanks for the info regarding approaching the market too. I definitely want an area with less traffic. Expanding the search to include Nampa now that it appears the stank has settled down too.
Very interested in following your home search thread too. Thanks for all the info!
-Glen
Nampa isn't going to have less traffic unless you're coming from a much larger city. If you're looking in the Boise area and you want "less traffic," you need to look to Emmett, Caldwell, Middleton, etc. Maybe Kuna if you're not commuting.

Nampa and Meridian are busy busy busy. Arguably as busy or busier than Boise.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:26 PM

88 posts, read 213,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Nampa isn't going to have less traffic unless you're coming from a much larger city. If you're looking in the Boise area and you want "less traffic," you need to look to Emmett, Caldwell, Middleton, etc. Maybe Kuna if you're not commuting.

Nampa and Meridian are busy busy busy. Arguably as busy or busier than Boise.
Good info to know, thanks Vandals!! Currently takes me 2 hours each way to work and back, so yes, you could say I come from a highly congested area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area