Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 11:10 AM

355 posts, read 564,858 times

Advertisements

I am a senior Windows systems administrator (server guy), and have been scanning the job sites for jobs in a few of the areas my wife and I are interested in checking out. Boise is one of those areas that we are very interested in. We will be making a trip there over Labor Day weekend to check out your beautiful city. I have an appointment with a realtor and a tech recruiter for that visit. Any tips for tourists like us are also welcome!

The nice thing about being a Windows server administrator is that just about every company (except very small ones) have one. So, jobs are very abundant, even when the economy is down.

I have only found one job posted on any of the top tech job sites, such as Monster, Dice or Career Builder. It was for the city of Boise, so as expected, the salary was a bit lower than I am looking for. Government IT jobs are usually quite a bit below market rate.

Is it more who you know in Boise? For a city its size, there should be quite a few. It's odd that only one job has been posted in the month or so that I have been looking. For example, in Raleigh, N.C. and Colorado Springs, CO, (both larger cities, I know) there were quite a few. I'm wondering if more jobs in Boise are more through word of mouth, or another avenue that I have not been exploring yet.

I'd be interested in any information that anyone would be willing to share.

Thanks in advance for any information. At this time, everything about Boise looks like a positive for our family except for the job market. But, I'll continue to look!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangjoey View Post
I am a senior Windows systems administrator (server guy), and have been scanning the job sites for jobs in a few of the areas my wife and I are interested in checking out. Boise is one of those areas that we are very interested in. We will be making a trip there over Labor Day weekend to check out your beautiful city. I have an appointment with a realtor and a tech recruiter for that visit. Any tips for tourists like us are also welcome!

The nice thing about being a Windows server administrator is that just about every company (except very small ones) have one. So, jobs are very abundant, even when the economy is down.

I have only found one job posted on any of the top tech job sites, such as Monster, Dice or Career Builder. It was for the city of Boise, so as expected, the salary was a bit lower than I am looking for. Government IT jobs are usually quite a bit below market rate.

Is it more who you know in Boise? For a city its size, there should be quite a few. It's odd that only one job has been posted in the month or so that I have been looking. For example, in Raleigh, N.C. and Colorado Springs, CO, (both larger cities, I know) there were quite a few. I'm wondering if more jobs in Boise are more through word of mouth, or another avenue that I have not been exploring yet.

I'd be interested in any information that anyone would be willing to share.

Thanks in advance for any information. At this time, everything about Boise looks like a positive for our family except for the job market. But, I'll continue to look!
Joey,

I just did the transplant thing to Boise, originally from Southern California. I also work in technology. Fortunately, I have the ability to do my job via the internet, so my office is my home office.

But to answer your question ... as I have been looking at the local tech landscape: you are correct most businesses could use your skills. you are also correct, not much is public-posted, a lot done through local relationships. you might just take a look at the big corps in the region and go to their in house job boards -- not just the tech companies that everyone focuses on (HP, Micron, etc.) but large companies based in Boise. The other thing is to keep your eye on Craigs's List Boise. There are a lot of tech requests up there, not sure if they will bear the kind of fruit you're looking for, but would be a good way to get local inside info on what's happening.

So far, I love Boise and Idaho in general. My wife and I are so happy we made the change.

Good luck

Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 PM

355 posts, read 564,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureIdaho View Post
Joey,

I just did the transplant thing to Boise, originally from Southern California. I also work in technology. Fortunately, I have the ability to do my job via the internet, so my office is my home office.

But to answer your question ... as I have been looking at the local tech landscape: you are correct most businesses could use your skills. you are also correct, not much is public-posted, a lot done through local relationships. you might just take a look at the big corps in the region and go to their in house job boards -- not just the tech companies that everyone focuses on (HP, Micron, etc.) but large companies based in Boise. The other thing is to keep your eye on Craigs's List Boise. There are a lot of tech requests up there, not sure if they will bear the kind of fruit you're looking for, but would be a good way to get local inside info on what's happening.

So far, I love Boise and Idaho in general. My wife and I are so happy we made the change.

Good luck
Great advice, thanks so much for the tip. We also hope to make the move, and expect to have alot of fun on our trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: