Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 3,192 times

Advertisements

Not in a hurry to move but looking ahead we're curious about Boise as a potential place to settle down, pretty much permanently. I've moved a lot in my life and I'm a bit fatigued by it (I'm 27 and lived in 10 cities in 8 states, not including 4 more cities and 2 provinces in Argentina).

Culture----
My wife isn't religious. I'm not either, but I am a Formon (former Mormon) and unlike an ex-mo, I have no ill-will or negative disposition toward the LDS church - but that being said I'd still prefer to be somewhere where being Mormon isn't a major part of the culture so I'm not looked at like I have horns on my head (I get a mix from the Utah Mormons I've met since separating from the church, about 1 in 3 acts weird about it - Mormons from outside of Utah don't seem to care at all with only a few notable exceptions like Rexburg Mormons).

We fancy ourselves as classical liberals, don't mind taxes but want the tax revenue used for things that benefit the whole, like infrastructure or education. Obviously, with competing agendas on either end, this is not going to be perfectly attainable. But we would still prefer to live somewhere with like-minded individuals who hold elected officials accountable.

Lastly, but importantly, I love hockey. I live and breathe hockey.

Climate----
My wife likes a lot of sun. I can take it or leave it, what I don't tolerate well is cold and wet - so winter rainy seasons are not for me (I lived in CO for a long time so I actually like snow because I can stay mostly dry in snow).

Sprawl----
Here I'm more particular than the wife. She just doesn't want too much crowding. Me though, I like public transit (preferably rail) and being able to walk everywhere. I walked my entire Mormon mission and it's just part of who I am now. If I'm driving I'd prefer it to be because I'm going out of town, I'm picking up something too big to carry any meaningful distance, or I've started a new career as a rally racer.

Costs----
We're currently renting a 1 bed/1 ba (+study/bed) w/ 940 sq ft for about $1,400/mo. I'm okay staying in that price range for housing maybe even going up a bit considering I'd be able to save money on other expenses.

Taking this stuff into account, here are my questions:

How Mormon is Boise? (like crazy, won't ever talked to you again because you let them watch an R rated movie at your house and didn't tell them it was R rated Mormon or is the Mormon culture more relaxed, like happy to DD and hangout at a bar to watch a game while cussing at the ref Mormon)

Are people political? If so do they tend towards extremes or do they see both sides?

How is the hockey scene? All I know so far is that there are the Steelheads averaging 4k attendants per game and an independent ice rink.

Does it rain a lot in winter?

Are there any plans for a rail system?

If I lived downtown are there plenty of amenities (groceries, restaurants, parks) within walking distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 07:47 AM

719 posts, read 1,568,736 times
I'll take a crack at your questions.

I guess it's all about perception, but I've never felt that the Treasure Valley had much of a Mormon influence going on. It definitely doesn't have the vibe you get in SLC. But being an ex-Mormon, maybe you'd be more tuned into that sort of thing than I am.

Ada County is pretty mainstream politically. Maybe an overall slight conservative lean but not much. The last two elections went roughly 55/45 for the Republican and that's probably a pretty fair measure.

Hockey...some are really into the Steelheads. BSU football is the big game in town, though the fans are fairly fickle and Boise isn't really a hardcore sports town.

The rain depends on your perspective. It isn't Portland by any means, but we get our share of gray and damp days. Snow is common too.

I wouldn't expect any significant rail commuter system in your lifetime.

If you live downtown you can walk to Winco and Whole foods, and a ton of restaurants. You do need a vehicle regardless of where you live, though - it's a car (or truck) dependent town.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:14 AM

742 posts, read 1,130,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionizeTheKing View Post
Not in a hurry to move but looking ahead we're curious about Boise as a potential place to settle down, pretty much permanently. I've moved a lot in my life and I'm a bit fatigued by it (I'm 27 and lived in 10 cities in 8 states, not including 4 more cities and 2 provinces in Argentina).

Culture----
My wife isn't religious. I'm not either, but I am a Formon (former Mormon) and unlike an ex-mo, I have no ill-will or negative disposition toward the LDS church - but that being said I'd still prefer to be somewhere where being Mormon isn't a major part of the culture so I'm not looked at like I have horns on my head (I get a mix from the Utah Mormons I've met since separating from the church, about 1 in 3 acts weird about it - Mormons from outside of Utah don't seem to care at all with only a few notable exceptions like Rexburg Mormons).

We fancy ourselves as classical liberals, don't mind taxes but want the tax revenue used for things that benefit the whole, like infrastructure or education. Obviously, with competing agendas on either end, this is not going to be perfectly attainable. But we would still prefer to live somewhere with like-minded individuals who hold elected officials accountable.

Lastly, but importantly, I love hockey. I live and breathe hockey.

Climate----
My wife likes a lot of sun. I can take it or leave it, what I don't tolerate well is cold and wet - so winter rainy seasons are not for me (I lived in CO for a long time so I actually like snow because I can stay mostly dry in snow).

Sprawl----
Here I'm more particular than the wife. She just doesn't want too much crowding. Me though, I like public transit (preferably rail) and being able to walk everywhere. I walked my entire Mormon mission and it's just part of who I am now. If I'm driving I'd prefer it to be because I'm going out of town, I'm picking up something too big to carry any meaningful distance, or I've started a new career as a rally racer.

Costs----
We're currently renting a 1 bed/1 ba (+study/bed) w/ 940 sq ft for about $1,400/mo. I'm okay staying in that price range for housing maybe even going up a bit considering I'd be able to save money on other expenses.

Taking this stuff into account, here are my questions:

How Mormon is Boise? (like crazy, won't ever talked to you again because you let them watch an R rated movie at your house and didn't tell them it was R rated Mormon or is the Mormon culture more relaxed, like happy to DD and hangout at a bar to watch a game while cussing at the ref Mormon)

Are people political? If so do they tend towards extremes or do they see both sides?

How is the hockey scene? All I know so far is that there are the Steelheads averaging 4k attendants per game and an independent ice rink.

If I lived downtown are there plenty of amenities (groceries, restaurants, parks) within walking distance?
1. It can be pretty present, but you can avoid it. It just depends on what you do, where you live, where you work, etc. I don't notice it in my life, with one exception: it is a major factor politically. Less so in city/county politics, but especially so in state politics.

2. I wouldn't say people in Boise are overly political. Our turnout numbers reflect that. Boise tends to be more moderate, and occasionally vote in really nice projects like the Foothills Levy and Open Space Levy. Other than a few issues, politics in Boise can be fairly benign, mostly centering on development and growth issues, homeless, etc. However, as we are the capital, the political atmosphere picks up in the first 4 months of the year, and the carnival of absurdity show will be center stage. Expect a daily barrel of laughs, groans, signs, and frustration. This is true whether you're moderate, liberal, or (truly) conservative. Obviously, overall Idaho is very red, very moral-majority conservative.

3. I wouldn't say hockey is extremely popular. The Steelheads have a following, but hockey is not big here otherwise. You can join a hockey league at Ice World, though.

4. Yes, it can. Or it can be grey and overcast. It depends. We're not Oregon or Washington, but we're also not Colorado either.

5. Nope.

6. Depends on what you consider walking distance. Probably, yes, you can get many things. However, you'll probably still have to drive to the box stores for when you need stuff the grocery stores don't offer.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 3,192 times
Very cool, thank you both

Old 02-01-2016, 04:32 PM

229 posts, read 707,432 times
Since you like public transit, be advised that the bus system is quite poor for an area of its size. A large chunk of the valley has zero coverage (cross Meridian off your list altogether). The closer you are to downtown, the better your chances are to have access to destinations. But hours of operation are limited (generally until about 19:00 though some run longer), some routes are only Monday-Friday, and you're completely out of luck on Sunday. Based on your other criteria, I would've said to look in that part of town anyway. This just adds to the reasoning. It can be a rough area to survive in with no vehicle.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:01 AM

820 posts, read 1,070,692 times
How Mormon is Boise?
The fact we have a temple here and another under construction might answer that question. I am not Mormon, but a lot of my friends and clients are. We have lots of other religions and churches represented here too so I think we have a healthy mix.

Are people political?
Some are but the good news is during the election cycle some of them are kind enough to admit if they are planning on voting for Trump, Hillary or .... so you can go join them or avoid them (grin).

How is the hockey scene?
Not much of a scene really. Glad we have the Idaho Steelheads but they have a small but loyal following.

We only get about 12 inches of rain a year. The median low temperature in the winter months is still just over freezing so typically when it snows in town, it doesn't stay for too long. Skiing is great only 16 miles from the edge of town though!

The mayor of Boise has been trying to champion this cause for years but I don't expect to see it in the next few decades. When parking gets more scarce and expensive, people will be more open to it.

Yes, downtown has finally become a very vibrant community in it's own right. Plenty of new condo projects and apartment complexes with more to come. We have great parks downtown, walking paths along the river (Boise Greenbelt), plenty of restaurants and nightlife and for shopping you can stop by Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Winco or the Co-op.

Hope this helps!
Jim

Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,905,541 times
I've lived in Utah and can confirm the LDS vibe in Boise is mellow and not in your face at all and is not a major aspect of the culture here. Boise in and of itself has diverse religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area