Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 09:37 AM

335 posts, read 376,692 times

Advertisements

I always thought the selling of a home would be worse off than buying. As buying seemed a much easier and enjoyable process. I was quite wrong in my assumption. The buying process was considerable more of a hassle. As a seller you just prepare and wait. In buying there is so many variables that must be researched and done. It was by far way more difficult. Plus my wife is picky as hell. I promised she could pick the home and held true to my words. One thing I really wanted was a wood fenced backyard. This was no easy task. So many homes had plastic fences it was unbelievable. So my home closes in 12 days. Eagle is the new city for my domicile.

Eagle Idaho here I come with my stuff. Cant wait to get back to work and start swimming again in morning,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 10:01 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,178 times
Well, I guess to make this thread about the Boise area, I would say:

Right now Boise (and surrounding) are seller's markets. So of course that makes buying more difficult and selling much easier. When things only sit on the market for a few hours, and they are overpriced, it's very hard for a buyer to be patient.

When we bought our current house it was on the market for 3 hours (we had actually researched it beforehand because we had a tip it was going to be coming on market). We were first to look at it, but the sellers had 20 people look at it the first day and had another handful of offers after they already accepted ours. They definitely had seller's remorse on that one.

When we sold our house it sold on the first day.

With regard to wood fences... the reason you see more and more people moving to plastic fences are because, first and foremost, they're easier to maintain. Wood fences don't do very well here. The wood you get is pure crap. It twists and bends and eventually will fall apart. The posts will rot in less than 5 years.

We put a wood fence in our last home. It was impossible to find properly treated wood posts, so we decided to use a typical 4x4 PT with a concrete base and cap on the top. Many of them still rotted.

I love wood fences; I'm not sure we'll do one again. We're trying to decide between a 3 ft high wood picket fence for our front yard in our new house, or just biting the bullet and paying several grand for a iron wrought fence that will last forever. I'm pretty much done with wood.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:46 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,479 times
Selling is easier, unless you're unwilling or unable to accept market value. Most houses are pretty easy to nail down on market value based on comparables. List for that price adjusted to the specifics of your home and it'll sell pretty fast. The problem a lot of people have is they are unwilling to be realistic, or financially they are unable to be realistic. That's when it's hard to sell.

Buying can be hard or easy depending on how picky you are. Our current place took 3 years to find because we had a narrow area we were targeting and we wanted at least an acre+, and there was just no inventory that fit those criteria. When something came up that did fit what we wanted we jumped all over it, and we couldn't be happier. The thing that threw a wrench in our search was the property we wanted.

Wood fences hold up fine with proper maintenance, provided you use the right species/type and install it properly. I do agree that many people prefer vinyl for maintenance purposes. I had a vinyl fence once and it was trouble free, but I didn't like the look very much.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:25 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
I always thought the selling of a home would be worse off than buying. As buying seemed a much easier and enjoyable process. I was quite wrong in my assumption. The buying process was considerable more of a hassle. As a seller you just prepare and wait. In buying there is so many variables that must be researched and done. It was by far way more difficult. Plus my wife is picky as hell. I promised she could pick the home and held true to my words. One thing I really wanted was a wood fenced backyard. This was no easy task. So many homes had plastic fences it was unbelievable. So my home closes in 12 days. Eagle is the new city for my domicile.

Eagle Idaho here I come with my stuff. Cant wait to get back to work and start swimming again in morning,
Enjoyable process? Huh?
1) First, the problem is letting your wife (or mine, in my case) choose...
2) Relative to the home purchasing process, a fence is a minor detail. Can be fixed at anytime.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:03 PM

731 posts, read 958,557 times
I think, regardless of where you live, it depends a great deal on your individual circumstances.

I found selling to be much more difficult. Mainly because of the need to keep it "perfect" for open houses and showings, and I had a 3 hour commute each working day, and two dogs.

Buying was easy in comparison! LOL

My wood, and cinder block fence in CA was built in the early 60's, and going strong when I sold earlier this year.

My vinyl fence here is okay, but beginning to get that powdery feel that they eventually seem to develop. The wood fence, which was original to the house (built in 08) is in great shape, except that the wood has "faded" and there are water marks from the sprinker overspray. Next year I will probably stain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: