Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 08:14 PM

100 posts, read 143,669 times

Advertisements

Yes, yet another one.... I am looking to move there, but with a slightly different criteria. Already retired and looking for a place with at least an acre +/- and hopefully a shop or large garage on it. Currently looking in the Kuna area but there may be other options.

I have read many threads on the area and think it will be a place to escape to from this madness. I passed through the area a couple of years ago on a motorcycle trip and was impressed. May try to take a ride up there again soon to have a look around.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Believe me, I am leaving all my baggage behind when I leave....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 11:44 PM

335 posts, read 376,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta_Here View Post
Yes, yet another one.... I am looking to move there, but with a slightly different criteria. Already retired and looking for a place with at least an acre +/- and hopefully a shop or large garage on it. Currently looking in the Kuna area but there may be other options.

I have read many threads on the area and think it will be a place to escape to from this madness. I passed through the area a couple of years ago on a motorcycle trip and was impressed. May try to take a ride up there again soon to have a look around.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Believe me, I am leaving all my baggage behind when I leave....
Welcome, theres plenty of room so do not listen to any naysayers.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:50 PM

232 posts, read 565,705 times
Outta_Here....

As you probably know from your trip, there are lots of decent motorcycling roads throughout the state. The off-road riding is supurb....everything from desert to mountain trails.

There are also houses scattered around with decent sized lots and nice shops. I looked at one on State street when we moved here 4 years ago with 3/4 acre lot, plus a 2300 sq ft house and a 2400 sq ft shop that was under $200K. My other half wasn't too keen on the house, so we went elsewhere. They are around....you've just got to look closely hit it at the right time.

If you plan to ride up this fall, it should be soon. A lot of the lesser roads to get here can get some nasty weather this time of year. If you do come, let me know so we can meet up and talk bikes and moving to Idaho!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. A riding friend of mine was up there for a few days late last month. I would like to have gone with but am doing a couple of wiring jobs that I can't really put off.

My extra money comes from wiring cars--hot rods, customs, restorations--that sort of thing. Lately I have been getting a lot of business from a couple of builders that make it almost like a day job. Both good and bad in that. Good work when I have it but the timing may be off for riding.

I notice that a couple of the places I check out on Zillow seem to have wells, septic, and electric heat in the more rural areas. Well and septic is OK, but not too wild about electric heat. Propane would be preferable. Is conversion possible? Trying to stay away from newer developments as they are like here--California Close and HOAs. I notice that in other states as well.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:40 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
What about wells? Are you going to be able to get water in the years ahead?

Old 10-13-2015, 07:10 AM

335 posts, read 376,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta_Here View Post
Thanks for the replies. A riding friend of mine was up there for a few days late last month. I would like to have gone with but am doing a couple of wiring jobs that I can't really put off.

My extra money comes from wiring cars--hot rods, customs, restorations--that sort of thing. Lately I have been getting a lot of business from a couple of builders that make it almost like a day job. Both good and bad in that. Good work when I have it but the timing may be off for riding.

I notice that a couple of the places I check out on Zillow seem to have wells, septic, and electric heat in the more rural areas. Well and septic is OK, but not too wild about electric heat. Propane would be preferable. Is conversion possible? Trying to stay away from newer developments as they are like here--California Close and HOAs. I notice that in other states as well.
There is a thread on rural living if that is what you are going to do. It discuss's all aspects of wells and such. I suggest you read it.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:07 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
Outta here, as I was doing research today I found that Boise has the 3rd cheapest electric rates in the US for investor owned utilities. By comparison, for a 1000Kw month, San Diego was 3x as expensive at $299 a month vs $93 in Boise. Electric may actually be a better choice than Propane.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:26 PM

Good point! I hadn't gotten that far in my research yet but was doing a comparison between the two here in California. Electric heat is way more expensive than gas and will get much worse as new requirements kick in.

Cooking with electricity is just not my fave.

Thank you for the enlightenment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: