Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:30 PM

90 posts, read 99,818 times

Advertisements

The problem with today's refugees the majority are males, and no one can really prove from what country. The media shows some drowned kid then the whole U.S. becomes bleeding hearts. I'm really looking to relocate to Boise from the Puget Sound or should I say state of Seattle? Problem I'm seeing is California has their hooks in Idaho just like Seattle/Portland. Idahoans listen to the Californians because they will tell you what's best. Any Cali people from Stockton or Fresno areas? Tell them how those Cambodian refugees worked out.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:21 AM

742 posts, read 1,126,310 times
Lol.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:31 AM

879 posts, read 2,854,150 times
Double LOL.

Seattle and Portland have always been progressive. Californians have nothing to do with it. Same goes for Boise, while by no means Portland or Seattle there has been a tinge of progressiveness in Boise for awhile. Just look at the Californians posting on here, they are NOT progressives trying to move Boise further left. Quite the opposite.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:34 PM

731 posts, read 955,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
There are some cultures who have had large numbers of refugees who, in general, have moved here, been grateful for the opportunities they were given, accepted short term help, learned the language and become productive members of society.

And then there are other cultures who have had large numbers of refugees move here who, in general, go onto Section 8 housing assistance, food stamps, and other welfare programs, stay on them for decades, and not contribute much of anything.

As a landlord in Boise, I see the differences a lot. It isn't a refugee thing, it is a cultural thing.

I'm a bleeding heart liberal on many topics, but not this one. You are welcome to come here if you are willing to at least attempt to contribute to society. But if you are just coming here to mooch, we don't have the infrastructure or the resources to accommodate more multi-generational welfare households. The entire state has fewer people than many large cities (about 40 metro areas in the US have more people than Idaho).

One of the defining characteristics of people in Idaho, in my opinion, is that we value self sufficiency. Everyone needs a helping hand at times, and we are all willing to help out, but we don't like moochers. I suppose you could say "Idahoans help those who help themselves" (make of that comparison what you will).

So I'm not against all refugees as a concept. Some of them are incredible, hard working people who have improved our society. But I am against refugees who have nothing at all to contribute except more mouths to feed, who have no interest in bettering their own situation, and just want to be handed everything.
Me too.

Read up on the Hmong refugees in Wisconsin, and the strain that was put on social services and "extended family" immigration.

IMO, Wisconsin had no idea what they were getting themselves in to initially. Sad.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:39 PM

What concerns me about this particular group of refugees is that we really have no way to properly and accurately vet them.

Wouldn't be such a pressing issue if they were coming from countries that didn't have a majority who were Muslim.

Now before anyone goes ballistic, I fully understand that ALL Muslims are not terrorists, but sadly, history has shown that most terrorists are Muslim.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:40 PM

879 posts, read 2,854,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
What concerns me about this particular group of refugees is that we really have no way to properly and accurately vet them.

Wouldn't be such a pressing issue if they were coming from countries that didn't have a majority who were Muslim.

Now before anyone goes ballistic, I fully understand that ALL Muslims are not terrorists, but sadly, history has shown that most terrorists are Muslim.
I know what you mean. It is scary since we can't even vet gun owners who have killed way more people than terrorists.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:47 PM

742 posts, read 1,126,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
Actually, history hasn't shown that at all. Fox News has said it, and people believe it.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:51 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,881,594 times
The refugees in Boise have really added to the city with their food and culture and are good people and I disagree with Judy Peavey-Derr's comments.

But, recently there was one who wasn't so good. This is the type we need to look out for, not the families who are being placed here.

Quote:
Prosecutors: Boise terrorism suspect wanted to target military base

BOISE -- A Boise man charged with terrorism told an informant before his arrest that a military base would be his preferred target for a potential bomb attack, according to court documents.

Kurbanov, a Uzbekistan national who came to Boise as a refugee in 2009, is accused of funneling personnel, software and money to the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan. Members of the IMU fought alongside the Taliban in Afghanistan and seek to overthrow the government of Uzbekistan and replace it with an Islamist caliphate, according to the National Counterterrorism Center.

Quote:
Boise man convicted in terrorism case

According to prosecutors, Kurbanov drove to the Mountain Home Air Force Base as well as a Navy base in Texas to check them out as possible attack sites. He told the FBI source in a recorded conversation that he also considered planting a bomb in a Boise park during the Fourth of July celebration, because of the high number of military members and their families that would be in attendance.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Actually, history hasn't shown that at all. Fox News has said it, and people believe it.
All right, then let me clarify my stance.

Terror is bad enough, but IMO, worse when committed by those we've brought in to the US with the idea of "saving".

Particularly when the ability to vet those we're "saving" is limited, or non-existent.

Too often, the US has allowed their emotions to dictate their decision making, while not adequately looking at, or providing for, potential outcomes that may harm us.

The following is enough to make me leery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rorist_attacks

Old 10-15-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
I know what you mean. It is scary since we can't even vet gun owners who have killed way more people than terrorists.
Again, bad enough that Americans are killing Americans.

Worse when we IMPORT the killers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: