Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 08:38 PM

10 posts, read 12,477 times

Advertisements

Anyone who would want to retire in Nampa or Caldwell has severe mental problems. I am sorry, that is just how I feel. I lived in the Nampa area for years and it aged me quickly. If you want to know what it is like, watch the film Papillon where Steve McQueen is young and strong going into prison and they have to stick their head out of the jail for inspection and the old beggar next to him says, "How do I look?" and Steve McQueen says, "fine" out of compassion for this husk of a human he is viewing. After he spends several years in that prison, the next inspection he is the old toothless guy asking the young guy, "How do I Look" and the new young prisoner says, "fine" out of pity.

That is what it is like to live in Nampa in a nut shell. More like a prison colony than a liveable city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 09:16 PM

232 posts, read 565,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seeker 3 View Post
Anyone who would want to retire in Nampa or Caldwell has severe mental problems. I am sorry, that is just how I feel. I lived in the Nampa area for years and it aged me quickly. If you want to know what it is like, watch the film Papillon where Steve McQueen is young and strong going into prison and they have to stick their head out of the jail for inspection and the old beggar next to him says, "How do I look?" and Steve McQueen says, "fine" out of compassion for this husk of a human he is viewing. After he spends several years in that prison, the next inspection he is the old toothless guy asking the young guy, "How do I Look" and the new young prisoner says, "fine" out of pity.

That is what it is like to live in Nampa in a nut shell. More like a prison colony than a liveable city.

Your response is pathetic. Mental problems? Prisoners? C'mon, either give specifics or don't bother to respond.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:34 PM

8 posts, read 7,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
Harvey, take a look at Kuna, Star and Middleton as well. Some of those areas offer 100% financing options for even brand new homes.

Utilities will vary in cost by city for water and sewer. If you can get a home with "pressurized irrigation" it is great because you can used all the water you want from that system for the same annual price. So many of the subdivisions were once farm ground and we are using less water than before since we aren't watering the roof tops, streets, sidewalks, etc. Power and gas will be constant rates but the quality of the energy efficiency of the home will make a huge difference. Most of the newer homes all have double pane vinyl windows and good insulation requirements so they are pretty energy efficient.

Hope this helps!

Thanks coming up for a few days. My broker I met in May is going to show m some homes.

I may be able to buy a new one if the builder actually agrees on the price. With NO suprises.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:20 AM

820 posts, read 1,068,626 times
Default Building a home in the Boise area

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey48 View Post
Thanks coming up for a few days. My broker I met in May is going to show m some homes.

I may be able to buy a new one if the builder actually agrees on the price. With NO suprises.
In Idaho, "sold" prices are not public data which is why most public real estate portals (i.e. Zillow) are not accurate for online estimates. However, your Realtor should be able to pull up specifics for the area including the builder you are looking at to see if they are typically flexible on price or not. It is great to know current sales to list price ratios before you make an offer.

Best of luck!

Old 12-21-2015, 01:33 PM

731 posts, read 958,557 times
Don't allow bizarre posts to sour you on Caldwell or Nampa. I live in SW Nampa and find it to be lovely, clean, still a lot of open spaces, reasonably prices homes with larger lots and good people. Caldwell I don't know as much about, but both cities have good and not so good areas - same as Boise. I think Caldwell has a bit more "gang" issues however.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:28 AM

277 posts, read 365,182 times
I'm in the part of Star that is in Canyon County. It's really quiet. People are nice. My utilities are much less than southern California.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:27 PM

Default Dirt Biking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post

I will also acknowledge I understand the appeal of the area... being able to live in the country on a larger lot, being closer to Lake Lowell, and like you say, escaping to the Snake and Owyhees are nice, too. I go through that way on a weekly basis when I go dirt biking out that way. Downtown Nampa is nice and has potential; I just wish it were more of a magnet for the area.

Where do you go dirt biking? My wife and I go out to Hemingway Butte, Rabbit Creek, and a couple other areas around there. We just go trail riding for the most part, and occasionally go on TVTMA ride days. If we were to venture further south to Kane Springs or Black Mountain, is it any different from Hemingway or Rabbit creek, of just more of the same?

Old 12-28-2015, 12:41 PM

742 posts, read 1,129,178 times
We usually stage near Murphy, up the sand wash on Rabbit Creek Road, or else down south some more near Oreana or Missile Base. It's all very much the same. More washes down south.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
We usually stage near Murphy, up the sand wash on Rabbit Creek Road, or else down south some more near Oreana or Missile Base. It's all very much the same. More washes down south.

Hmmm....don't think I know where the Missile Base is, unless you mean Mountain Home. The desert is okay, but I think I'll try heading up into the mountains & forests if I get a chance this year. If nothing else, it's not as hot!

Thanks for the info

Old 01-01-2016, 01:10 PM

8 posts, read 7,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
Harvey, take a look at Kuna, Star and Middleton as well. Some of those areas offer 100% financing options for even brand new homes.

Utilities will vary in cost by city for water and sewer. If you can get a home with "pressurized irrigation" it is great because you can used all the water you want from that system for the same annual price. So many of the subdivisions were once farm ground and we are using less water than before since we aren't watering the roof tops, streets, sidewalks, etc. Power and gas will be constant rates but the quality of the energy efficiency of the home will make a huge difference. Most of the newer homes all have double pane vinyl windows and good insulation requirements so they are pretty energy efficient.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, I have a deal pending on a Hubble home (new in 2014) in Caldwell. Needs full rear sod and fencing.

But the price was lower then smaller homes, and rear landscaping or fencing were not included in the new ones either. Still want to have a corner gas fireplace thou. I do not know if Hubble home would put in contact with the supplier or not. But I will ask when the time comes.

Will know how every thing works out in a couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area