Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 01:05 AM

34 posts, read 41,677 times

Advertisements

My husband and I, in our 50s, are thinking about moving to Boise, among other places. We would like to be in a neighborhood where we can walk to coffee in the morning, maybe a couple of restaurants/wine bars in the evening, a grocery store, a bank, etc., all within walking distance. It doesn't have to be a LOT, but we do want some places (not fast food joints) nearby. We would be looking to buy, but would keep it around $300K. We want 3 BR, 2.5 BA, 2 car garage, around 1,500 to 1,800 square feet. And we need to be relatively close to the airport since my husband travels for work. We don't necessarily want a yard, so, although a house isn't out of the question, a condo or townhome would work well. We enjoy neighborhood-y things, so if we found a place with front porches and friendly people, we'd be thrilled.

Most importantly, perhaps, is that we would be relocating again in about three years and want to be in an area where property values are slated to increase nicely. (Realizing, of course, that no one has a crystal ball!).

We are an interracial couple and concerned about the racial climate and white supremacists, too. Seems ridiculous to even have to mention in 2016...but we certainly don't want to live in an area where we have to put up with nonsense.

Another thing: I know that Boise has lots of sunny days. But, I've never been to Boise when the sun was shining. Perhaps my experience it atypical. Are there blue-sky days or it is more partly cloudy with glimpse of the sun every once in a while?

Are our expectations reasonable? Can we find something like this in Boise? We don't have to be in the trendiest areas, we just want to have the walkability we enjoy. Can someone please recommend neighborhoods by name or cross streets or landmarks?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 08:30 AM

717 posts, read 1,057,854 times
Why would you buy when you are planning to move in only 3 years? Financially, that doesn't make any sense.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:31 AM

We believe that the home we are currently in, which has aggressively increased in value, will plateau over the next year. Once we sell, we need to put the money somewhere. Our best investments are okay, but not great. A mortgage is leveraged AND tax advantaged, although, granted since we won't have much of a mortgage, it isn't highly leveraged. We want to completely pay off this next home in three years in preparation for retirement. We don't want to throw away $40K in rent over the next three years. We don't HAVE to move in three years if the market has changed for the worst. Our plan is to retire, so we really don't need to go anywhere until it is favorable to do so.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:55 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
5183 w silverlake lane seems to fit the bill. Dunno if this link will work.

Everyplace in Boise is close to the airport for the most part.

This doesn't have a front porch, but other than that seems to be what you want.

I don't think interracial couples will have any problem in Boise. It used to spell trouble in Northern Idaho but I haven't heard of any of that in years.

Last edited by LillyLillyLilly; 03-27-2016 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: remove link that doesn't work

Old 03-27-2016, 11:15 AM

617 posts, read 349,023 times
Quote:
We are an interracial couple and concerned about the racial climate and white supremacists, too. Seems ridiculous to even have to mention in 2016...but we certainly don't want to live in an area where we have to put up with nonsense.
Seriously? Where are you moving from? Don't expect Idaho/Boise prices to move up significantly. Buying for three years makes little financial sense in Idaho.

Boise may not be the right place for you based on your other comments.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtHansen View Post
Seriously? Where are you moving from? Don't expect Idaho/Boise prices to move up significantly. Buying for three years makes little financial sense in Idaho.

Boise may not be the right place for you based on your other comments.
Am I serious about what?

Old 03-27-2016, 11:52 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
There's also a little shopping center with restaurants, library, etc at Parkcenter and Apple Street. That's in SW Boise where a lot of the Micron workers live. I see a couple condos for sale north of there around Logger's Creek. I haven't been there lately to know for sure, but it looks like it would be very walkable.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:10 PM

Lilly, thank you so much. This looks perfect. I'm checking it out after Easter dinner!

Old 03-27-2016, 07:52 PM

A point of clarification. We do not HAVE to leave in three years. We would stay if we fall in love with the area or if the market took a downturn that made it economically disadvantageous to go.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times
If you are planning on buying now and selling in 3 years, figure on around 10% of your price being spent on closing costs, coming and going. Your house is almost certainly not going to appreciate 10% in 3 years to cover these expenses. 10% of $300k is $30k. You've said you would spend around $40k on rent and don't want to throw that away, but you are willing to throw up to $30k away on closing costs. Just something to think about.

Personally, if I were going to live somewhere for only 3 years, I'd almost certainly rent.

As for your criteria, there were 16 active townhouse listings in Boise that meet your basic criteria, about half of which are in one new construction subdivision off Warm Springs/Eckert to the SE of downtown. How walkable any of them are would be a matter of opinion. There were no condo matches. All condos under $300k were smaller. Only 4 were even 3 bedroom, and they were in the 1100-1400 square footage range. Boise doesn't have a huge condo supply to choose from in the first place.

I have to wonder what is wrong with the Silverlake house. It looks really nice, but houses in Boise in the $200k-$250k price range are typically selling in hours with multiple offers. Granted, this is a townhouse, and at the top of that price range, but it has been on the market since July. Either there is something wrong with it, or it is overpriced, or it should have sold by now. Our market doesn't have sub $250k houses sitting on the market for months like that if they are priced correctly.

The townhouse at 7342 Gillis looks like it has a lot of what you are looking for, also. It is a little far from the airport, being over near the foothills, and isn't walkable like downtown is walkable, but is an easy walk to 3 major shopping strips, with a huge variety of businesses.

If being closer to the airport is more important, you can't get much closer than 2201 Shoshone, which also meets most of your requirements, but isn't as walk friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area