Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 12:55 AM

55 posts, read 153,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
It is definitely doable. Yes, it is possible that storms and snow drifts might temporarily close the highway and interstate but that is fairly rare. The few times a decade that schools here are closed due to snow days, the ski resorts are extremely busy because people flock to them for fresh powder skiing.

If you are not comfortable driving a moving truck in the snow/ice, let the professional movers do it if you are coming in the winter. You will need to stay on the main highways and interstates in the winter though. Plan for a few extra days just in case and you should be fine. Make sure you know how to put on tire chains just in case and hope you don't need them.

When I travel through the mountains in the winter, I watch the road reports and the traffic web cams to gauge temperatures going through mountain passes so I can try to time them as they are melting (if possible) so I can try to avoid black ice as it starts to freeze again in the evening/night.
Thanks. Tire chains are something you just never even hear about living in SE Texas. But if driving, I'd definitely practice putting them on. I have was checking the Idaho highway webcams this past winter just to get an idea of what the weather looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 03:10 PM

820 posts, read 1,069,044 times
Les Schwab Tire Centers hava a great program on tire chains. If you buy a set from them and don't use them by April 15th of the following year, you can return them for a full refund. Even with all the skiing and hunting and driving I do over various mountain passes I have not put a pair of chains on my vehicles for probably 25 years; however, I do own a set for each of my vehicles and keep them in the trunk "just in case".

Old 04-14-2016, 03:05 PM

213 posts, read 343,481 times
We moved to Boise in January 2014 from Las Cruces, New Mexico. The trip was completely fine, didn't run into any kind of snow on the road. We did try to not drive more than 8 hours a day, but that was because we had a 3 month old baby; 21 month toddler; 3.5 year old preschooler.

The single hardest part of the trip was not getting separated from my husband driving the Uhaul, because we only had 1 cell phone. I had to make lots of random stops to nurse the kiddos.

The best thing we did for our sanity was have a moving company lined up to help us unload the truck. Done in less than 3 hours.

Oh, I forgot to add that we moved in on the 7th, and on the 8th it snowed like 4 inches.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 5,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M H View Post

(Edit) And something else - in June there are about 15 hours of daylight, and in January there are 9 hours of daylight. Aside from the dangers of winter weather, there's a real advantage to having more daylight time in which to drive.

15hours of sunshine? sign me up! so it's common for the sun to still be up after 9pm in boise?? makes summer outdoor activities endless and more enjoyable

Old 04-20-2016, 08:32 AM

160 posts, read 252,337 times
Well daylight and sunshine are technically two different things. Even on a cloudy day, there are still 15 hours of "daylight" in mid June. Boise is situated on the tail end of the Mountain Time Zone and observes Daylight Savings Time. On June 21st (summer solstice) the sun officially "sets" in Boise at 9:30pm, but on cloudless evenings it remains "light" until about 10pm or so. Yes, it's a nice extension for outdoor activities.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:07 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M H View Post
Well daylight and sunshine are technically two different things. Even on a cloudy day, there are still 15 hours of "daylight" in mid June. Boise is situated on the tail end of the Mountain Time Zone and observes Daylight Savings Time. On June 21st (summer solstice) the sun officially "sets" in Boise at 9:30pm, but on cloudless evenings it remains "light" until about 10pm or so. Yes, it's a nice extension for outdoor activities.
A bit after 10pm, closer to 10:30pm even.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:39 PM

447 posts, read 652,117 times
we moved here in 96 through the sierra's and it was really rough but i just did the trip several times this winter and did fine if you can handle snow and have chains or 4wd your fine. be safe and welcome

Old 04-25-2016, 10:45 AM

Thanks everyone. We've decided we are going to move this June. Side benefit, we'll be able to enjoy the summer activities there.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:17 PM

122 posts, read 229,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktotheson View Post
Thanks everyone. We've decided we are going to move this June. Side benefit, we'll be able to enjoy the summer activities there.
Safe travels! Best wishes on the move.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianX View Post
Safe travels! Best wishes on the move.
Thanks, we are seriously looking forward to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area