Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 05:13 PM

105 posts, read 111,708 times

Advertisements

What were they like if you went to one?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,665 times
None.

Dirty, gross, crowded.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:46 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k28mas View Post
What were they like if you went to one?
Idaho is the king of hot springs, Idaho has the most usable number of springs of any state, we are the state other states are measured against when comparing hot springs.

This being said you just need to research the information online or get a book. The info is out there and easily accessible. Most people are not going to want to suggest a hot springs unless they know you and you have to respect nature.

You have me thinking of hot springing now, I was just at one last weekend with a friend and it was marvelous. I photograph many hot springs around the state but they are secret photos

Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Down here in S. Idaho, there are a lot of hot springs.
Close to Idaho Falls is Heise Hot Springs, with 2 pools, one for general use and the other a complex of smaller hot pools.
The sweetest hot water in the West is found at Lava Hot Springs, which is southeast of Pocatello. Lava has it's own little town, and the pool complex features one Olympic sized pool with all the high dives.

There are many others as well- I only commented on the 2 I know best. The area surrounding W. Yellowstone, about 100 mi. north of Idaho Falls and just over the Montana border has numerous hot pots that are not all in Park territory. If you can find them, you can use them, but to be safe, a thermometer is always needed.

The same goes with hot springs along the Salmon river in the Challis-Clayton area. Some have been built up a little by hot-potters, and some just empty into the river undeveloped. Challis as a great hot pool that is directly fed by a good hot spring.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:13 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
Glad you spoke up, banjomike.
I was going to say Lava Hot Springs, too! A great little frendly town grown up around the springs, and the springs themselves are awesome. Three seperate 'pools', each one hotter than the next. After a long day of skiing, relaxing in these pools was the best. It was wonderful to be soaking in the hot mineral water, with the snow on the sides of the springs, and realize that our hair was freezing with ice while we were warm! Great little changing rooms and everything you need. The minerals are highly touted there as having a natural calming effect as well.

My brother lives in Soda Springs, just up the road from Lava - their hot spring that erupts regularly was (so the town legend goes) discovered by accident when a local fella was trying to dig a swimming pool...

Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,364 times
Lava is awesome. All of Idaho, mainly central and southern, has a lot of commercial hot springs where the geothermal water is pumped into the man made pools.

If you are looking for the wild and non commercial hot springs then Boise is the best base camp in the state to set out and explore because there are dozens of natural springs along the Boise and Payette river systems within a 45 minute drive of the city and up to a couple hours drive. The Boise and Payette National Forests are steaming with springs. The Stanley and Sun Valley areas also have many wild hot springs to relax in. There are even hot springs in the desert area near the Snake River south of Boise.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:47 PM

8 posts, read 31,831 times
Red River Hot Springs is really nice. They got new owners who cleaned up the messes left from previous owners, remodeled the whole thing, tore out the old pool liner and replaced it, added new showers, etc. And they're really VERY nice.

The water in the main pool feels like a warm bath. The water feels very heavy, but it is so lovely when it's sprinkling cold rain or snowing. The hot tub (water pumped directly from the springs) is much more like a hot bath. Very relaxing. My joints always feel so much better after a visit.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:49 AM

99,524 posts, read 4,489,705 times
I just visited Lava Hot Springs in late January. Nice little town and such a pleasant, relaxing experience to soak in the hot mineral water. It's important to stay hydrated though. As others have mentioned, the contrast between the warm water and cold air is invigorating.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:23 PM

661 posts, read 832,634 times
Boat Box Hot Springs. From the “T” in Stanley, head north up Highway 75 for about three and a half miles. ...
Rocky Canyon Hot Springs. ...
Frenchman's Bend Hot Springs. ...
Kirkham Hot Springs. ...
Trail Creek Hot Springs. ...
Mountain Village Lodge. ...
Burgdorf Hot Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area