Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 31,209 times

Advertisements

I am currently in the process of moving out of Southern California and looking at both the Southwest Boise Area and Nampa as potential locations. From what I've gathered online and from talking to my real estate agent and mortgage lender Nampa's school system has had some major struggles lately and I have two young boys I'd like to not setup in a bad school district. I was curious what you native Idahoans can share with the typical differences between the two areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:49 AM

818 posts, read 1,067,937 times
Even though these are good questions, they are pretty subjective questions about schools and cities. I get a huge spread in answers from people insisting their answer is the correct one. If schools are important, ask yourself what factors are important to you (is it standardized test scores, student teacher ratios, sports, music, free lunches or _____) and then compare those answers between schools. Be sure to check out online, charter and private schools if possible.

I suggest comparing neighborhoods, not cities. That way you are comparing more apples to apples. Housing is less expensive in Nampa than Boise due mainly to lot cost differentials. Taxes are typically higher in Nampa.

Think about how your family lives, not just where you choose to sleep at night. If you choose to buy in Nampa area due to less expensive homes, but spend all your time commuting into the Boise area to work, then keep driving back and forth to play in Boise, you could actually end up spending more time and money in the long run. However, if you will be working in Nampa and enjoy the wineries out that way, boating at Lake Lowell, Nampa could be the better choice for you.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:09 AM

Well I'm still unsure as to where I will work, I will be transferring in a few months and my destination will depend on which store have an opening. I might end up working in multiple stores which is fine since I'm use to a 30-40 mile commute. My kids are fairly young(2 boys) and we plan to keep them in sports as often as we can. I would assume Boise would have better programs for youth sports and facilities due to it being a larger populated area. Since my first post I've done as much research as I could on all the factors we think important as a family, also talking to people in the area about their opinions as well. We have shifted our focus from Nampa to Southwest Boise, Ada County area. I like the school rating in that County and the housing market isn't too much more expensive that Nampa for the size of house we are looking at.

One question I did have is are there any cons to looking at a newly built house vs a house that has been lived in for 5-10 years? We currently have a house in SoCal that was built in 1952 and have had to replace or repair a lot more than I wanted over the past 4 years. Are there houses built by certain contractors that are superior?

Old 06-21-2016, 01:47 PM

160 posts, read 252,168 times
Tarob,

You would benefit from the help of a professional who's familiar with the area -- builders, schools and other demographics. I have the perfect recommendation for you. I'll send you a DM.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:08 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
If you are from Southern California you will probably feel most at home in Boise proper, as it is the most liberal, progressive and Californized city in the area. THere is a lot of Californians in the suburbs, but Nampa will feel more traditional conservative Idahoish to you and may require a bit of adjustment to a different culture and politics you may not like, although there are many Idafornians (can I use that term?) there. However, most Californians, esp So Cal people seem to enjoy the Boise lifestyle the most. If you enjoy nightlife, events, culture then to be honest, only downtown Boise/Bench/North End/Linen area offer that in the entire Boise metropolis. Most of Boise is just a huge expanse of suburban subdivision sprawl mixed with farms and ranches that are in the process of being removed to build more housing tracts and mini-malls.

In all honesty, Nampa is a bit gritty many parts, but there are several nice subdivisions all over the place and you can get them for a real steal. I cannot imagine if your kids grew up in Nampa they would end up bad kids, although there are some areas that have bad reputation. Avoid Caldwell like the plague.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:07 PM

742 posts, read 1,128,916 times
I think more Californians are moving into Eagle, Meridian, and Nampa than Boise.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
I think more Californians are moving into Eagle, Meridian, and Nampa than Boise.
The whole Treasure Valley seems to becoming an extended suburb of California. But, most people I meet in Boise these days are Californians, they just seem to blend in more I feel. I will meet more Idahoans in Nampa and Meridian. Either that, or people out in Meridian and Nampa do a better job hiding the fact they are from California.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:50 PM

At least now we can cross some areas off our list for our vacation late July when we go scouting for a house. Anyone recommend some places to take a young family to eat that we shouldn't miss out on?

Old 06-21-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarob76 View Post
At least now we can cross some areas off our list for our vacation late July when we go scouting for a house. Anyone recommend some places to take a young family to eat that we shouldn't miss out on?
What kind of food are you into?

Flying Pie Pizzeria has all you can eat pizza night on Tuesday.. Kinda neat, lots of variety.. They also just have good pizza in general..

Fork or some of the other downtown restaurants are for Boise's affluent, if you are into that..

Bitter Creek Ale House has good food and nice bar, but has area for minors to eat during dining hours..

Boise Mall and The Village have lots of food places, but most are chainey, if you are into that.

Avoid Big Juds, I came down with Norovirus at that gnarly, unhygienic burger joint, which is pretty famous (or shall I say infamous) in Boise area.

If you are interested in Middle Eastern cuisine, the Iraqi restaurants the Goodness Land I found to be pretty decent and I am fairly picky about Middle Eastern food. The service sucks, but if you can get past that it's worth the experience. Avoid the Kabob House like the plague, crappy food and horribly overpriced.

The best Mexican restaurant I have found in the Treasure Valley, ironically, is not in Nampa, but in West Boise at the Meridian border. It is Casa Mexico and on par with lot of the California Mexican joints in quality, in my opinion. We have a huge Hispanic population, but most Mexican restaurants here are mediocre, I have found, just like the rest of the Northwest.

In my opinion, Boise is pretty mediocre in many food options. THe best type of food places here are the brewpubs that will serve up some locally sourced meat and food products. Places like Bittercreek, 10 Barrel, Taphouse, etc are good candidates.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:12 PM

160 posts, read 252,168 times
I don't have a particular idea for a restaurant that shouldn't be missed, but a lunch idea/activity that would likely please two young boys. There's a newer brew-pub/burger place downtown and across the street from Julia Davis Park called Grind Modern Burger. I've not eaten there, but friends told me they really liked it.

grind Modern Burger - Home

I would suggest having lunch there, then afterwards walk across Capitol Blvd. and go into Julia Davis Park. There's a foot bridge over the river between the park and the BSU campus. From there I bet your boys would enjoy seeing rafters floating down the river, and you never know, they might look up and see a Bald Eagle. I can't think of another city where your family would witness such a scene. When you cross Capitol Blvd. notice the Library building and the exclamation point on the sign. You won't see that anywhere else either.

Boise vs Nampa?-screen-shot-2016-06-21-9.03.03

The park itself is worth a visit, but the zoo is there and so is the Boise Trolley Tours - a great way to see and learn about Boise.

BOISE TROLLEY TOUR edit: well, skip that - I see the tours depart from Joe's Crab Shack now.

The burger place is the square on top, the footbridge is the square on the bottom.

Boise vs Nampa?-screen-shot-2016-06-21-8.24.42

Last edited by T M H; 06-21-2016 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area