Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 08:51 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
You think they're hiring teachers to pay them $45k when they can hire new-ish teachers for $31-$35k?

Proof:

Teacher salaries increase by 2.1 percent, in first year of career ladder

Even though starting salaries increased and the average pay overall, in many districts the average teacher pay has decreased. That tells me they're hiring "cheaper" teachers when they can.

Quote:
Idaho’s average teacher salary went up 2.1 percent under the first year of the program, to $45,117. But the numbers varied widely by school district, and the average salary actually dropped in 32 districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 09:03 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
No, it's not.

I can sit here and say that the Boise-area climate is affected by the number of swimming pools in Californian, or the increasing number of dogs barking, or any number of silly claims. The point is, and you continually refuse to acknowledge this - the onus is on me to prove my claims, not to have my audience (whoever it may be) chase down every silly claim I might make.

That point is unassailable and uncontroverted, no matter how you might feel about me.

So when you say that "science says" that the NW climate is affected by the eruption of Mt. St. Helens some 30 years later, you should have on hand some peer reviewed science that affirms your contention. You haven't shown that, and you still haven't shown that. Your link is a rather generic article that says "volcanic activity might affect climate some years later." You don't say?

Thing is, no one is necessarily saying your wrong. We're just saying we want proof for your contention that "science says..." and you're turning yourself into some victim and pariah here because you think I'm simply looking for argument rather than proof.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:34 PM

40 posts, read 36,731 times
[quote=f5fstop;44609956][/QUOTE

You want proof, look it up yourself.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:53 PM

Who's troll account is this?

Old 07-01-2016, 01:15 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
These are Trolls....

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...io-d5f3ylf.png

Last edited by Syringaloid; 07-01-2016 at 02:35 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 03:54 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
I believe science shows that volcanic dust clouds have a huge impact on weather, that is probably the reason they have noted a change in winter's here.
Yes, maybe, and no.

Volcanic ejecta does have an effect on weather, especially in the immediate 'down wind' area and if it is high in sulfur dioxide content, however the effect only last a single year, possibly two. Certainly not thirty-six years later! The effect ejecta has is to cool the environment, which is contrary to recent winters in Idaho, which have been historically mild. Volcanic eruptions have a very minimal effect upon climate.

"a huge impact on weather"? That depends on your definition of 'huge'. In the case of Mt. Saint Helens and Idaho, no, I would not call it a a 'huge' affect, and certainly not long-lasting.

And, no. The eruption of Mount Saint Helens is not the cause, or even a contributing factor to the recent mild winters in Boise/Idaho. There are other factors involved. If it did have an effect, you would expect the winters to be more harsh than they recently have been.

Even though not peer reviewed, here are a few sources that helps explain it better. They are from fairly reputable organizations, (i.e., USGS, United States Geological Survey; UCAR, University Corporation for Atmospheric Research; RMetS, Royal Meteorological Society, and myself).

https://www2.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9819/2728

How Volcanoes Influence Climate | UCAR Center for Science Education

https://www.rmets.org/weather-and-cl...affect-weather

Myself? I have been the professor for my local college's meteorological courses the past twelve years as well as having worked in atmospheric and environmental research at a NASA center for the past 33+ years, (at least until next March at which time I will be retiring, right after I reach my 34th anniversary).

Old 07-02-2016, 04:44 PM

731 posts, read 957,845 times
"you're turning yourself into some victim and pariah here because you think I'm simply looking for argument rather than proof."

I've never considered myself a victim - of anything, or anyone.

And I don't understand why you would think I would consider myself a "pariah".

Taking into consideration the comment from others here, whose claimed careers are within the science field, I believe they are waaaaay more knowledgeable than I, so, for the sake of ending this silliness, I'll clarify my thoughts as being wrong.

Everyone good now?

Last edited by BoiseBound2012; 07-02-2016 at 05:11 PM..

Old 07-05-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Yes, maybe, and no.

Volcanic ejecta does have an effect on weather, especially in the immediate 'down wind' area and if it is high in sulfur dioxide content, however the effect only last a single year, possibly two. Certainly not thirty-six years later! The effect ejecta has is to cool the environment, which is contrary to recent winters in Idaho, which have been historically mild. Volcanic eruptions have a very minimal effect upon climate.

"a huge impact on weather"? That depends on your definition of 'huge'. In the case of Mt. Saint Helens and Idaho, no, I would not call it a a 'huge' affect, and certainly not long-lasting.

And, no. The eruption of Mount Saint Helens is not the cause, or even a contributing factor to the recent mild winters in Boise/Idaho. There are other factors involved. If it did have an effect, you would expect the winters to be more harsh than they recently have been.

Even though not peer reviewed, here are a few sources that helps explain it better. They are from fairly reputable organizations, (i.e., USGS, United States Geological Survey; UCAR, University Corporation for Atmospheric Research; RMetS, Royal Meteorological Society, and myself).

https://www2.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9819/2728

How Volcanoes Influence Climate | UCAR Center for Science Education

https://www.rmets.org/weather-and-cl...affect-weather

Myself? I have been the professor for my local college's meteorological courses the past twelve years as well as having worked in atmospheric and environmental research at a NASA center for the past 33+ years, (at least until next March at which time I will be retiring, right after I reach my 34th anniversary).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area