Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 12:23 AM

9 posts, read 8,586 times

Advertisements

I'm around 20 years old, and I just moved to the Boise area. Apart from my co-workers, I don't really have anything to branch out off of and meet new people. Are there any suggestions for any groups or activities I could look into doing to try and meet some new people? I love outdoors stuff (hiking, fishing, etc.), but I'm almost down for anything as long as I'm meeting new friends.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 01:36 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,828,617 times
Boise is a tough town to meet people. It's small, everyone knows everyone from somewhere environment and pretty cliquey. In fact I don't think I have ever been to a town that is more "cliqued" and where people's little social groups are literally like joining a private society where you have to gain admission. I've lived in some seriously cliquey towns in Oregon and Washington, but Boise seems to be more insular than all of them. I thought living in Bellingham or Seattle was cliquey and tight-knit until I came here. It's funny, but people's social groups literally are like families. People seem very guarded about their social groups here. I will see the same group of guys/girls going all over town with each other, like they are the only people they know. Being a smaller place, I have observed seeing the same people with the same friends at various places on different days of the week. Of course, I am new here and have the outsider perspective. It's not a kumbaya, let's go just meet and become buddy-buddy with everyone around, kind of town.

There are some meetup groups in Boise that meet regularly and that may be an option. I find the meetup groups to be a bit socially awkward around here, but you never know who you may connect with. Also, there are virtually no women who attend these meetup groups, so they end up being mostly a bunch of guys meeting up. If you are a guy that should not be a problem, but if you are looking to meet women (whether being man or a woman) you will be out of luck for the most part. My feelings are most women in Boise grew up here and either get married and attached, others leave Boise and the ones moving here, usually come with their husband/kids. Finding unattached females, without friends and not in a relationship is quite rare here. Like other West Coast cities with tech jobs, it is usually male-dominated tech jobs that bring a large number of single/unhitched people to the area.

The real way to meet people in Boise is joining some type of organization, church, mosque or get a job in a social environment like a place like the Boise Co-op or service industry. I notice the Micron guys I meet also seem to hook up with one another and form little social cliques. I've met a group of guys I see all over town and they are literally like blood brothers and I found out are all Micron guys. Another option would be attending regular events, like Paint-N-Sip, Volunteering at things like Music Events. You have to make an effort to make friends in Boise and it takes a lot of time. People are polite and friendly, although passive-aggressive and socially awkward (typical in the Northwest).

Where I live out in the suburbs, everything is about family, church and pickup trucks. I'm the only unwed guy in my entire subdivision, I am pretty sure. People ask me when me and my wife moved here and I ask them, "What wife?" It just goes to show the situation of most people who live in the Boise area, especially outside the downtown.

If you are into hunting or shooting guns, you will find a very active firearms community here in the Treasure Valley. In that case, you can join up with a nice shooting range, like Parma Rifle & Pistol Club and attend various events and you will meet lots of people. You will also make some hunting and fishing buddies fairly quickly too.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 06-23-2016 at 02:02 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 07:20 AM

160 posts, read 252,111 times
This might be a good place to start.

Find your people - Meetup

I have a friend who's very active in the hiking group, and she loves it. They hike of course, but they also gather together for other social activities. I see they even have a New to Boise group. There seems to be something for just about everyone.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:22 AM

731 posts, read 958,109 times
Meetup is GREAT! Lots of activities for all ages and interests!! New to Boise is a good group! There are several singles groups for various ages also.

I don't agree with most of RC's comments above, have not encountered any "clique's" or behavior of that nature, nor do I find the Meetup groups to be "socially awkward", actually, the groups I've been involved in are just the opposite!

If you're into wine, Idaho has a nice up-and-coming wine industry with some fun venue's and activities, I've meet several of the wine makers and their crew, all nice folks.

Once they open the river for summer fun, you'll find lots of people hanging out there. Grab a float and meet some folks!

Old 06-23-2016, 08:52 AM

719 posts, read 1,566,766 times
It isn't harder to meet people in Boise than it is anywhere else, you just have to put yourself out there and be social. And as you meet more and more people things will start to cascade, so give it some time. Join a gym, a sports league, a shooting club, etc.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:48 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Boise is a tough town to meet people. It's small, everyone knows everyone from somewhere environment and pretty cliquey. In fact I don't think I have ever been to a town that is more "cliqued" and where people's little social groups are literally like joining a private society where you have to gain admission. I've lived in some seriously cliquey towns in Oregon and Washington, but Boise seems to be more insular than all of them. I thought living in Bellingham or Seattle was cliquey and tight-knit until I came here. It's funny, but people's social groups literally are like families. People seem very guarded about their social groups here. I will see the same group of guys/girls going all over town with each other, like they are the only people they know. Being a smaller place, I have observed seeing the same people with the same friends at various places on different days of the week. Of course, I am new here and have the outsider perspective. It's not a kumbaya, let's go just meet and become buddy-buddy with everyone around, kind of town.

There are some meetup groups in Boise that meet regularly and that may be an option. I find the meetup groups to be a bit socially awkward around here, but you never know who you may connect with. Also, there are virtually no women who attend these meetup groups, so they end up being mostly a bunch of guys meeting up. If you are a guy that should not be a problem, but if you are looking to meet women (whether being man or a woman) you will be out of luck for the most part. My feelings are most women in Boise grew up here and either get married and attached, others leave Boise and the ones moving here, usually come with their husband/kids. Finding unattached females, without friends and not in a relationship is quite rare here. Like other West Coast cities with tech jobs, it is usually male-dominated tech jobs that bring a large number of single/unhitched people to the area.

The real way to meet people in Boise is joining some type of organization, church, mosque or get a job in a social environment like a place like the Boise Co-op or service industry. I notice the Micron guys I meet also seem to hook up with one another and form little social cliques. I've met a group of guys I see all over town and they are literally like blood brothers and I found out are all Micron guys. Another option would be attending regular events, like Paint-N-Sip, Volunteering at things like Music Events. You have to make an effort to make friends in Boise and it takes a lot of time. People are polite and friendly, although passive-aggressive and socially awkward (typical in the Northwest).

Where I live out in the suburbs, everything is about family, church and pickup trucks. I'm the only unwed guy in my entire subdivision, I am pretty sure. People ask me when me and my wife moved here and I ask them, "What wife?" It just goes to show the situation of most people who live in the Boise area, especially outside the downtown.

If you are into hunting or shooting guns, you will find a very active firearms community here in the Treasure Valley. In that case, you can join up with a nice shooting range, like Parma Rifle & Pistol Club and attend various events and you will meet lots of people. You will also make some hunting and fishing buddies fairly quickly too.
I think this is pretty spot on, from what I've heard from others moving here, and generally from what you read on these forums over the years. Obviously people's experiences will vary depending on what they're looking for, what their standards are, what satisfies them in "meeting" people, and how outgoing they are. Some people are happy just knowing a bunch of people, no matter what they may have in common or not.

I will say this, speaking from the other side (having lived here most of my life): I have a fairly large group of friends, and we don't really ever see a lot of new faces to the crowd. In other words, we are exactly what you're speaking of above.

I will point out that I find most friendships made here, outside of work or church, are activity-oriented. And the more involved and engaged in said activity you are, the better chance you'll have making friends. If you are only casual in your activities, those friendships will never develop and will be merely acquaintances, at best. As an example, if you rock climb and join a rock climbing group, if you're always at Black Cliffs and start seeing the same people, start planning trips, etc., it's not hard to make friendships out of that. If you only show up once in a great while, don't expect it to turn into a friendship.

I'll note 3 distinct issues that I see happening here:

1. the kid / no kids dynamic. As my wife and I get older (mid 30's), most of our friends either have kids or are having kids, and one by one they "fall off" and simply don't have the time to do things anymore. Everything they do is kid-centered, and eventually their friendships are with other couples with kids. The flip begins to prove true with those who don't have kids.

2. Cultivating friendships outside of activities can be tough.

3. I think people here crave more genuine and meaningful friendships than the more superficial networking approach you might see in somewhere like LA. As such, it does become harder to broach people and their cliques.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:02 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
It isn't harder to meet people in Boise than it is anywhere else, you just have to put yourself out there and be social. And as you meet more and more people things will start to cascade, so give it some time. Join a gym, a sports league, a shooting club, etc.
Agreed, after I moved here I found it easy to meet people and make new friends. It all depends on a persons energy and personality.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 06-23-2016 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-23-2016, 11:05 AM

194 posts, read 262,212 times
I currently live in Arkansas and am looking to move to Boise. There are only a few meetup groups here and it is the same folks in all the groups. There seems to be such a variety of meetup groups in Boise so I am hoping to make new friends. I want to be somewhere that folks are friendly and say hello. Guess I will find out in August when i visit

Old 06-23-2016, 12:16 PM

9 posts, read 8,586 times
Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm gonna start looking into the meetup groups, and see what's available there. From my experience here already, the people are way more down to earth than other areas. I'm not one to be into the lousy friendships where they're not close at all, I'd much rather have some friends who are always there for me and I'm always there for them.

Looking forward to what the future holds!

Old 06-23-2016, 12:25 PM

160 posts, read 252,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodle007 View Post
I currently live in Arkansas and am looking to move to Boise. There are only a few meetup groups here and it is the same folks in all the groups. There seems to be such a variety of meetup groups in Boise so I am hoping to make new friends. I want to be somewhere that folks are friendly and say hello. Guess I will find out in August when i visit
Well one thing for sure, Boodle, this is absolutely not true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
People are polite and friendly, although passive-aggressive and socially awkward (typical in the Northwest).
Where does one come up with this cockamamie nonsense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: