Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 04:19 PM

6 posts, read 9,007 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking to move from my state and have heard about how wonderful of a city Boise is. I am from *cough*California... Southern California, to be exact. I am a single female in my late 30's, half Mexican and half white. I have heard that I could experience some negative reactions to my being from California and being half Mexican. Should I allow that to deter me from moving there?

Are there any other factors to consider? Will it be hard to get someone to rent me a home? Will I have a hard time finding work that pays more than minimum wage?

I appreciate your help!

-Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 05:10 PM

160 posts, read 252,138 times
You heard right, Boise is a wonderful city. I moved to the Pacific Northwest from Southern California 55 years ago. There's nothing unique about folks moving here from California or from anywhere else. Nobody's going to stop you on the street, ask you where you're from, then start harassing you if they learn you're from California. Same thing with your mixed race - you wouldn't be the only white/Mexican person in Boise. And who cares?

The Fair Housing Act protects folks from seller or landlord discrimination. Nothing should deter you from moving here, or anywhere else.

How much you'll earn depends on the job, and finding work depends on your skills and job availability. I'd recommend you visit the area to help you decided. I'd also recommend having a job before you move, unless you have a nest-egg to see you through for 6 months or longer.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:52 PM

731 posts, read 958,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceas78 View Post
Hello,

I am looking to move from my state and have heard about how wonderful of a city Boise is. I am from *cough*California... Southern California, to be exact. I am a single female in my late 30's, half Mexican and half white. I have heard that I could experience some negative reactions to my being from California and being half Mexican. Should I allow that to deter me from moving there?

Are there any other factors to consider? Will it be hard to get someone to rent me a home? Will I have a hard time finding work that pays more than minimum wage?

I appreciate your help!

-Michelle
Ditto on what TMH said, don't let the California or 1/2 and 1/2 thing stop you...most people here are very welcoming and kind.

Work depends on what field you're in or what your qualifications are. I see signs up for bus drivers regularly, and I've heard many entry-level jobs go unfilled. Some of those jobs have the capacity to grow, with a corresponding increase in wage. Just make sure you have enough of a nest egg to float for a year if needed.

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2016, 12:37 AM

Thank you both for your reply! I will be coming on the 14th and can't wait to see your lovely city.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:05 AM

40 posts, read 36,757 times
Quote:
Thank you both for your reply! I will be coming on the 14th and can't wait to see your lovely city.
Just remember visiting is different than moving somewhere permanently. Just jump in with both feet. Its by far better here than southern california will ever be again. California has a perfect storm brewing with crime. AB109 and the Governors, proposal to change sentencing guidelines will release more violent felons into the public. The recent surge in violent crimes there is only the tip of the iceberg. There is growth here. where their is growth their is opportunity.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:21 AM

818 posts, read 1,067,649 times
You will have a tough time finding a place to rent; however, not for the reasons you mentioned. Demand outpaces supply so trying to find a place is a challenge.

The main people that get harassed for being from California are the ones that move here and trash talk Idaho saying how great California is and how bad Idaho is. Of course some of the locals get upset and tell them to leave when that happens.

Have a safe trip and hope you enjoy your first trip here.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:48 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,824 times
A lot of people here are obviously discontented with California and what it has become, but I wouldn't discount the extreme differences in economic activity. California is one of the largest economies in the world, and only keeps getting bigger and better from what I constantly read. There is tremendous demand to work there, and because of that demand, more and more people move there, and cost-of-living skyrockets because of that demand. To somewhat keep up, you'll see much higher wages in California.

Boise, on the other hand, has an extremely placid economy with no real anchor business. It used to be Micron, but the tech industry is extremely volatile here, and it's constantly shedding jobs. Government is a tough gig to get into. The real estate industry is really what drives Boise's economy; you saw it in the build up in 2006, and then when the housing market went gonzo, it crushed Boise's economy... all of the out of work broker, lenders, realtors, and construction/trades people were hammered.

But now since Boise's growth is driven singularly by growth, that industry is back again. For how long who knows? It would be nice if, along with the thousands of people moving here seeking respite from high cost of living, that some larger businesses would relocate here as well.. but they don't.

In short, I wouldn't worry about the race/culture stuff. I would worry about finding a job and more importantly, what that job pays.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:38 AM

40 posts, read 36,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
A lot of people here are obviously discontented with California and what it has become, but I wouldn't discount the extreme differences in economic activity. California is one of the largest economies in the world, and only keeps getting bigger and better from what I constantly read. There is tremendous demand to work there, and because of that demand, more and more people move there, and cost-of-living skyrockets because of that demand. To somewhat keep up, you'll see much higher wages in California.

Boise, on the other hand, has an extremely placid economy with no real anchor business. It used to be Micron, but the tech industry is extremely volatile here, and it's constantly shedding jobs. Government is a tough gig to get into. The real estate industry is really what drives Boise's economy; you saw it in the build up in 2006, and then when the housing market went gonzo, it crushed Boise's economy... all of the out of work broker, lenders, realtors, and construction/trades people were hammered.

But now since Boise's growth is driven singularly by growth, that industry is back again. For how long who knows? It would be nice if, along with the thousands of people moving here seeking respite from high cost of living, that some larger businesses would relocate here as well.. but they don't.

In short, I wouldn't worry about the race/culture stuff. I would worry about finding a job and more importantly, what that job pays.
He is right. it's all about the job or lack of it. A friend of my wifes husband was moved down here from Micron. after buying a house and working there for a year he was laid off. He still has not found a job and he has been looking for at least 6 months. So a job is key. Not culture.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:07 PM

Thank you for your replies. You have successfully scared me, ha! So it will be hard to find a place to rent and it will be hard to find work. Any work or just work that pays well? I have been looking and already see that my line of work pays significantly less there but I am okay with that.

I feel almost desperate to live away from SoCal. I want to see nature, not city after city, I want to live surrounded by nicer people, and I want no traffic. So much that I would be willing to live a much simpler life. I have enough money to be okay for the next 9-12 months.

Thank you all for your input.

-Michelle

Old 07-06-2016, 01:13 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:
Thank you for your replies. You have successfully scared me, ha! So it will be hard to find a place to rent and it will be hard to find work. Any work or just work that pays well? I have been looking and already see that my line of work pays significantly less there but I am okay with that.

I feel almost desperate to live away from SoCal. I want to see nature, not city after city, I want to live surrounded by nicer people, and I want no traffic. So much that I would be willing to live a much simpler life. I have enough money to be okay for the next 9-12 months.

Thank you all for your input.

-Michelle
You should be able to find work, there are a lot of jobs available in Boise, but finding that perfect livable wage job (as in most cities around the country) may be difficult at first until you live here and make contacts, network, etc. Idaho was recently ranked at the top in the nation for job growth.

What is your line of work? There are other smaller cities outside of the Boise Metro Area that are also growing and adding jobs; Idaho Falls, Twin Falls to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area