Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,200,538 times

Advertisements

I'll warn you up front, this post is a long one, with lots to read, but very interesting information on the current work force/trend in the Treasure Valley. I thought this topic to be relevant for both potential newcomers and locals alike. So take some time out for this one, grab a cup of coffee, take a break or come back and read this thread when you have more time, as I hope you find this topic to be a fascinating read and possibly see the value in the information.

The first article talks about the creative class driving the economic growth in the Treasure Valley. This is where some of those jobs that no one can seem to find are being created IMO.

What is the Creative Class you ask? According to the article and author of, "The Rise of the Creative Class"/economist Richard Florida says,

"A fast-growing, highly educated, and well-paid segment of the work force on whose efforts corporate profits and economic growth increasingly depend. Members of the creative class do a wide variety of work in a wide variety of industries- from technology to entertainment, journalism to finance, high-end manufacturing to the arts."

Also in the article but not online:

"Boise's Creative Index- How Boise Ranks In Attracting The Creative Class"

"What's a creative index?
Researchers developed it to measure commnities' appeal to creative people who add to the community's economic and cultural diversity."

Boise currently ranks 9th in the country for attracting creative people.

A new approach to Valley growth | Local News | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/localnews/story/304432.html - broken link)

The second article is about a fifteen minute documentary film done on the very same topic in Boise. Looks like the article was dated back in 2006 and the DVD has all ready been released.

Film tells tale of Boise as a creative place

The third article was published in 2002, and while dated, still offers more information on the Creative Class concept.

"The Rise of the Creative Class" by Richard Florida

These are the things that makes Boise an exciting place to live/work/play. I think back to some of the questions forum members have asked such as "gay and moving to Boise", "Boise for Singles", "Boise:Life for minorities?" and the answer is a big "YES"!

Consider some of the upcoming projects for the area such as Bryans Run(a 1500 acre filming studio), the recent granting of Idaho's Snake River Valley AVA (American Viticultural Area-a designated wine-grape growing region), see: Snake River Valley- Appellation America, and indeed the future is looking more than bright for opportunities in Boise; these are just a few examlpes of what the articles are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 04:28 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,088,902 times
As always I find the comments section to the Creative Class in Boise far more interesting, especially the post by "Unknown Poster."

Last edited by Anchorless; 02-25-2008 at 04:52 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 04:54 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,088,902 times
Since this got censored earlier, read this comment (I didn't write it) - I think it speaks volumes about the issues our valley faces:

A new approach to Valley growth : comments | Voices.IdahoStatesman.com

Old 02-25-2008, 05:51 PM

82 posts, read 354,255 times
Default article

It would be great if someone would post the Idaho Statesman article. I can't access the site.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:57 PM

Look at the first post and click on the 1st article A New Approach to valley growth.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:58 PM

That's what I was talking about when I posted I couldn't access the site. I clicked that link!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:11 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,815,375 times
Because City-Data.com admins have started receiving such a mixed bag of complaints of copyrighted material being reposted here without permission, we only allow links to articles, not pasted in full texts, sorry.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:34 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,351,846 times
Makes perfect sense. Boise attracted me and I consider myself to be creative.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 PM

Default Boise attraction

I think that people east of the Rockies will move west to Boise in the future. There's going to be people allured by the milder, yet still four, seasons. East of the Rockies the weather is mostly sticky icky heat in summer and bitter windy cold in winter. There's more to it than weather. Boise is a pretty nice place with some talented people too. With Boise's growth there's become another major city in the Northwest area of the country for creative types to consider who don't necessarily want to live just a rural life.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 AM

Here's a creative niche that one retired couple pursued:

80-somethings start studio for 'something to do' | Life | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/life/story/306095.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: