U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 01:09 AM

3,534 posts, read 4,766,466 times

Advertisements

I don't have any family anymore or any good friends in Boise.. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any bars, restaurants or anything open on Thanksgiving in Boise.. I'm thinking the entire town will shut down. It will be the first Thanksgiving I celebrate alone in 38 years and I just want to find a place that serves a bit of booze to help through the holiday depression. Thanksgiving buffets are generally expensive and geared towards family and I am not interested in those. My ex-parents and I use to go to Thanksgiving buffets, so I don't want to be reminded of those.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 10:23 AM

3,934 posts, read 4,904,668 times
Here are some options. But it might be too late to make reservations where those are required.

Eating Out On Turkey Day - Go Out Local

Old 11-23-2016, 10:29 AM

719 posts, read 1,319,630 times
The weather looks pretty good - go for a hike or take a drive. I don't think drinking alone in a bar on Thanksgiving would do much to lift your spirits. If anything it would probably have the opposite effect.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:31 AM

2,928 posts, read 5,717,379 times
I am sure the Denny's that has a bar attached in Caldwell will be open.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:32 PM

I appreciate the suggestions.. Thanks for that link Nomad.. Maybe, I will see if any place has an open bar and doesn't require reservations or a huge fee to sit there and drink..

As far as hiking, being more alone on Thanksgiving, by being in the desert isn't going to probably make me feel better either.

I have a Denny's near my house, Syringaloid.. Didn't think of that, but it will be last resort.. I think they are open 24-7/365.. I can literally walk home staggering drunk from that location..

Old 11-23-2016, 01:57 PM

2,928 posts, read 5,717,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I appreciate the suggestions.. Thanks for that link Nomad.. Maybe, I will see if any place has an open bar and doesn't require reservations or a huge fee to sit there and drink..

As far as hiking, being more alone on Thanksgiving, by being in the desert isn't going to probably make me feel better either.

I have a Denny's near my house, Syringaloid.. Didn't think of that, but it will be last resort.. I think they are open 24-7/365.. I can literally walk home staggering drunk from that location..
Go for a beautiful desert hike in the Snake River Canyon at Swan Falls south of Kuna or take the quick drive up to Bogus Basin and take a hike in the forests, but there may be some snow up there.

There is also the Festival of Trees downtown at the Grove Convention Centre all weekend and they are open Thanksgiving Day from 2 - 9.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:42 PM

719 posts, read 1,319,630 times
Just seems to me like a nice fall hike would be something that would get you out in the sunshine and fresh air and that sort of thing always improves my spirits. Certainly more so than going to a bar in a Denny's and getting staggering drunk. If your goal is to get drunk the safest way to do that is in your own home...way fewer opportunities to do something stupid.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Go for a beautiful desert hike in the Snake River Canyon at Swan Falls south of Kuna or take the quick drive up to Bogus Basin and take a hike in the forests, but there may be some snow up there.

There is also the Festival of Trees downtown at the Grove Convention Centre all weekend and they are open Thanksgiving Day from 2 - 9.
Sadly, I am overcoming nerve damage and even if I wanted to go hike in the mountains or out in the canyons I cannot do it. If my nerve ends up going out on me in the wilderness all alone I am in deep crap.. I've been crippled and bed ridden for the last 4 months and only recently have been able to even sit on the computer.

Hiking is definitely one of my favorite activities on the earth as well as weightlifting. Sadly, I am going to have to wait another 6 months before I do either activity.

I will consider the Festival of Trees thing if there is no fee . I'm financially struggling and unemployed right now so cannot fork out a large sum of cash to attend any event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
Just seems to me like a nice fall hike would be something that would get you out in the sunshine and fresh air and that sort of thing always improves my spirits. Certainly more so than going to a bar in a Denny's and getting staggering drunk. If your goal is to get drunk the safest way to do that is in your own home...way fewer opportunities to do something stupid.
I agree Ida that getting drunk in a bar is not a great thing to do and I actually don't spend a lot of time drinking anymore, despite being in a lot of emotional pain/distress over things. However, I knew the Holidays this year would be hard on me and I don't want to spend the entire day with myself thinking about all the bad things that have happened to me, being stabbed in the back by my family and feeling even more alone and miserable than I do now.

So, I think sitting at a bar with another human being within proximity to me will be better than me just wandering around or staying at home and watching all the other families around me get together and enjoy themselves.

And, of course, I have been disabled and trodding around the wilderness is not a viable thing for me to do anyway.

IN Seattle, there was quite a few bars open on Thanksgiving and Christmas; places for lonely souls to go who don't have families. Cities like Seattle have a lot of newcomers and transient population and it is common for people not to have any families or not have any deep friendships, so some businesses cater to those people. In Boise, I am thinking it will be a tough as this is a place where you bring a family or grew up with a deep rooted network of people.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:45 PM

134 posts, read 188,917 times
Cracker Barrel is open for Thanksgiving dinner.
They have good food and service.
Drink at home.
It's cheaper and safer.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:15 PM

For future reference, the Modern Hotel and Bar is open Thanksgiving and has very reasonably priced cocktails and offers some great food. I really enjoyed the atmosphere there and it did make my Thanksgiving a bit less depressing.

P.S. If you plan on drinking too much they also have rooms available next to the bar, although I have no clue about availability or price, but I bet its cheaper than a DUI.

I appreciate all the other suggestions people gave me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area