Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2006, 12:09 PM

14 posts, read 58,643 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have had the opportunity to speak with a few people regarding their feelings on the safety of these areas, but I often read posts that give a conflicting story. Where I live in CA gang violence is becoming a problem and I don't feel safe at our shopping malls anymore because there have been shootings, stabbings, and other problems that are happening more frequently. What were good neighborhoods and areas 5 years ago are no more, and it worries me when I think I have found a safe place to move to and raise my family when I read stories of the same things happening. I have read several things about drugs, gangs, crime in the Boise area and I am wondering... is it getting bad there too? Are there nightly shootings/stabbings/gang activity that make you not want to leave your home in the evenings? I have a hard time believing that Idaho is as bad as CA, but I just want to get all my facts before I make a major move.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 01:07 PM

171 posts, read 1,052,280 times
I can't speak for Eagle/Meridian area area much, although I don't believe it is much different, but I do live in central Boise. In my opinion the crime in Boise is much LOWER than most places of similar sizes in the country. I have four young children and I would never feel uncomfortable being downtown after dark with them. There are a few areas in town that aren't as perfectly squeakly clean, but you really don't hear about many issues. Certainly not nightly stabbings/shootings. It is a very family oreinted community and I don't think safety in Boise proper is anything you should worry about. You also could check the Idaho Stateman online to read baout community happenings. As you will notice from reading the paper, it is pretty boring as far as crime goes. Also might want to check with local police fepartments for crime stats to help ease your mind. Good luck in you move.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:11 PM

171 posts, read 1,052,280 times
I also noticed from your previous posts that you were a teacher I believe. Don't know if this is of interest to you, but check out RiverStone Community School in the Boise area. It has an international baccalaureate program and is an AMAZING school. Our kids are there so I am biased They are expanding the lower school by a grade each year right now (there will be two classes per grade) so there are employment opportunities for speical teachers.

Last edited by idahomama; 11-30-2006 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-30-2006, 02:23 PM

149 posts, read 1,097,850 times
Crime in Idaho will be nothing compared to what you're (probably?) used to in CA. Boise, Eagle, Meridian are all great places to live with low crime.

The crime in Nampa and Caldwell will be worse than Boise/Eagle/Meridian, but I'd bet that even Nampa/Caldwell crime is better than SoCal crime.

(I'm making huge generalizations, I realize. I don't doubt that there are places in California that have virtually no crime at all. From the sounds of your post, I don't think you're in one of those areas. )

Old 12-07-2006, 06:35 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,408 times
I will say I believe Boise is safer then were you coming from big time but it are not trouble free. There is the same problems just on a lot smaller scale. I do believe that will get worse as the area grows up. I remember way back when in calif. They were not that bad just a few big cities now it seam to be every were big or little towns and cities. I do know I would lock my door and also have a car alarm. Fact in Boise is the only place I have had a car window shot out or a car bracken in to but never my home. Both happened in front of the house .also had a bike stolen out of the garage as I sat on the front porch. But a word to the wise do not leave you ability to stay alert leave you. You just will not need it every day but a few and I mean very few places but there around and do change as things and time changes the cities.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:41 PM

45 posts, read 187,096 times
MovingtoIdaho,
You can go to the website of the Boise paper to get an ongoing idea of what is happing in the area. A day-by-day look for a month will give you a good idea of what the crime picture is like. Idahostatesman.com
Here is another source of news http://www.[domain blocked due to spam].net/city/boise-id

Crime in the valley has gone up but for most places, most of the time, a person can expect a reasonable amount of security. Being prudent by locking ones doors and car and always keeping an eye on ones children are a must. This place is a good place to live crime-wise.
That said, the fact is there are constant reports of assaults, rapes, robberies, thefts, murders and sexual crimes against children.
Yesterday, a man charged with molesting two children and the day before, a registered sex offender arrested on the school grounds in Kuna.

Last week, the police in Caldwell finally caught some drive-by shooters in the act. There was an unrelated surveillance operation in place in the neighborhood so they made arrests of the gangsters. Six men in a pickup truck. I will not mention their race so the readers will not have to endure having a PC SuperTrooper show up to call me a racist.
Caldwell and Nampa does have a gang problem. Please, if you have a choice of not putting your child in a public school in Caldwell don’t do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area