Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:14 PM

447 posts, read 651,799 times

Advertisements

wife and I are just running some affordable all season tires right now but I wish we had done like I used to in past years and bought some studded snows. I have a few sets in mind just dont have the money for them. Been stuck 4 times just outisde our house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 10:46 PM

9,980 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Has this been an unusually cold/snowy winter in Boise or something?

Old 01-13-2017, 11:13 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Yes, not only in Boise, but in Eastern WA and Eastern OR. And Portland just recently. Seattle seems to have spared from winter conditions this time, but there is still a bit of winter left.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-13-2017 at 11:54 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 01:24 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Has this been an unusually cold/snowy winter in Boise or something?
Don't know about snow amount, but Boise seems to be getting the full brunt of low temps so far this winter. Colder than Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:05 PM

9 posts, read 8,240 times
Update: Just added another vehicle to the extended family/friends fleet. Driver is a student.
2003 Chevy Malibu, FWD, no traction or stability control or ABS.
New tires: a set of DieHard Silver Touring A/S at sears for a reasonable price.
They are made by Kumho and have a relatively aggressive tread pattern and deep sipes.
This car will not be driven on the worst weather days as school will likely be cancelled.
However, in our current iced-over neighborhood it has done fine and not gotten stuck at all.
Grip seems excellent for an A/S. Will have to see how they do as the tread wears (they have a 70,000 mile treadwear warranty)
Attached Thumbnails
Snow Tires-diehardsilver.jpg  

Last edited by nordicwanderer; 01-15-2017 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-03-2017, 03:50 PM

9 posts, read 8,240 times
Update: At the end of the winter, before selling the car, I got studded snow tires for the FWD Saab. It was also completely unstoppable.
Also, I shipped my 4x4 lifted truck from California. Though that is going to need new tires. It currently has 35" Mud Terrains on it which we all know are useless on ice.
The AWD Volvo with worn "all weather' tires was scary to drive (not enough lateral grip) on the icy days. Part of this problem was the AWD - having the rear wheels turning when there is not enough grip and there is a significant crown in the road causes the back end to slide out.
But the FWD Accord was amazing the entire winter, with studless Hankook I-Cept tires.

I've since gotten new 3-season tires on both the Accord and the Volvo.
On the Honda: Sumitomo HTR A/S P02: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Speed+Rated%29

On the Volvo: https://www.consumerreports.org/prod...5011/overview/

I'm going to hold off on swapping until after the first hard freeze / significant snow to see exactly how well the brand-new AS tires hold up in light conditions, before swapping them out.
Despite getting the Nokian WGR3 "all weather" tires siped on the Volvo, they were not good on ice at all. They seem to be about at the end of their life. So I'm going to replace them with studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9's or 8's.

For the truck, i'm still trying to find a cheap set of wheels so I can mount narrower studded snows, because 305 width tires won't exactly cut through snow.

I will update this thread after the first snow, or when I find a price on the studded set or set for the truck. I'd also love suggestions as to where to get wheels for my old truck, 16" 8x6.5 bolt pattern, 8" wide, and studded tire suggestions for heavy duty pickups.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:05 AM

122 posts, read 225,038 times
Default Snow Tire Suggestion:

Nordicwanderer,

I have been running Nitto Terra Grapplers (non studded) on both my F350 and Toyota FJ Cruiser 4 X 4's the last two years up here with great results in both snowy and icy conditions. I do a lot of hunting and fishing along with in town driving.

The last pair of Grapplers on the FJ Cruiser lasted almost 60,000 miles which is phenomenal for a four wheel drive.

I got the best deal from the downtown Boise Big O dealer, but shop around!

Best regards,

JR

Old 10-07-2017, 01:39 PM

818 posts, read 1,067,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicwanderer View Post
... I'd also love suggestions as to where to get wheels for my old truck, ...
I buy my new tire sets at Les Schwab due to their excellent service. As a Realtor, I am always putting construction nails through my tires and they fix them for free. They are not the cheapest store however.

If I am just trying to get a single tire for one of my other cars, I have had great luck with the people at https://www.startireandauto.com/tires They are a small family owned shop.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:37 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicwanderer View Post
......... I'd also love suggestions as to where to get wheels for my old truck, .........
If you don't care what the wheels look like Les Schwab sells plain steel rims for winter tires pretty cheap. I've also bought them at auto wrecking yards, again, quite cheap.

Apparently, the esthetics bothered the family mechanic, so I got a fancy pair of rims for Christmas last year and how have stylish rims for both my summer tires and my winter tires. But honestly, as long as the tires roll and the tread is good I don't care much what the rims look like.

For fancier rims, I am sure every tire store sells them. Auto parts stores sell them. You can buy them online. I see them offered for sale on Craigslist.

You can buy used studded tires, but unless you understand the code that tells manufacture date, I'd pass on that one. But people do sell good winter tires when they sell their car and the winter tires won't fit their new car.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:27 AM

347 posts, read 402,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

You can buy used studded tires, but unless you understand the code that tells manufacture date, I'd pass on that one. But people do sell good winter tires when they sell their car and the winter tires won't fit their new car.
Lots of them fs on craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area