Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2017, 11:06 AM

9 posts, read 6,575 times

Advertisements

Hi can anyone recommend a realtor or realtor company that deals with rental properties? I know this is not a site for advertisement and i am not asking for that, but maybe somebody is familiar with one or has used such a company that could send me a private message... thanks for any help! Heading out there soon and would like to start getting an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 11:50 AM

819 posts, read 1,068,278 times
The problem you will find with Property Management companies in the Boise area is that they only tell you about their own inventory. Each company wants you to apply independently and sometimes pay an "application fee" even if they don't have any current openings. Be very careful of dealing with some online rentals that are really just bait to get you to provide your confidential data so they can have fun with identity theft!

Unlike other parts of the country, property managers typically do not offer compensation bringing tenant to them so cooperation in that area is limited. Many Realtors will help without compensation on the rental side knowing if they take care of you, it is an investment of their time that will pay dividends in the future when if/when you buy.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:15 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
IdahoBroker is totally right.

The office I work for is a real estate office and a property management office, and even I don't know what anyone else in town has for rent right now. And my resources to find out are the exact same as yours are. Craigslist, Trulia or Zillow (Trulia and Zillow share a database, so should have the same properties listed), and individual company websites. And I don't know of any property management companies around town who offer a commission to an agent who brings a renter.

Beyond that, inventory levels are very low right now. Rents are going up faster than we can keep up with, so every time a property turns over, we raise the rent quite a bit, and we are still operating at 1-2% vacancy rate in our office. I have exactly 3 units sitting empty today, and I am signing a lease on one at 8:00 AM tomorrow for the tenant to move in tomorrow. And another one I'm signing a lease Friday for the tenant to move in next week. The final one, I consider to be overpriced, but the owner won't agree to drop the price. Even that one, I have gotten applications on (just bad ones, but still). I have 2 units coming up in March, and one of those is already committed as well, even though I haven't even advertised it yet.

There is a "rental" section of our MLS, but in my opinion, anything listed there is overpriced, both because they have to offer a commission and because nothing lasts long enough to need to be listed there. If it hasn't rented in 2 weeks, it is overpriced, and for things that move that fast, it isn't worth putting them on MLS. I just looked and there are 3 total active listings in Ada county right now. No one uses it.

I wish you luck and wish I could give you better advice. My best advice is to go onto Craigslist/Zillow and see who is advertising, and then call those companies and ask them what they have coming up that they haven't advertised for yet that works with your time frame and price point. If they insist on talking by text or email, they are likely a scammer, don't talk to them.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:36 PM

Great info and insight thank you very much!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:33 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You are not currently in the area? I recommend Craigslist, with some caution. If it seems too good to be true, it is most likely a scam. But that is where you will see most rentals listed, with photos, a map of location, and the price. That should give you a good feel for the area.

When you arrive, you are most likely OK if the landlord has a key and can show you the inside. Scammers don't want you to see their faces. You can verify ownership of a house through the county assessor's office. Apartment buildings often have a sign that says "manager" to help you identify the person who has the right to be renting out the unit.

Don't rent anything without driving around and looking at several blocks surrounding to see what is in the area and, myself, I would go and sit and watch between 5-6 to see what happens as people are getting off work. Make sure there is enough parking, hear the noise level.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:18 AM

No we are not anywhere near Idaho LOL I am thinking that maybe an apartment might be the way to go to ensure that there's someone responsible running the property and not just some random person's scamming a house rental...

Old 03-27-2017, 07:33 PM

36 posts, read 66,610 times
Default Will rentals taper off in May?

@ Lacerta you say rents keep going up, low inventory? Will this be better or worse heading into summer? Thanks, I think your answer will help this poster as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area