Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 08:34 AM

59 posts, read 86,562 times

Advertisements

If you unintentionally make people upset they definitely aren't quick to forgive, but in general people are pretty nice. Like I had my bright lights on one night and some guy came yelling at me to turn them off (he was older and I was by myself, so it freaked me out). But for the most part people are nice Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 10:09 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
People are polite and tolerant. I find them to be helpful to confused srrangers. That doesn't mean they are eagerly awaiting to be the new best friend of anyone who moves in. You will have to find people who have common interests with you in order to make new friends.

But you won't run into very many people who throw rocks at you for no reason.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:26 AM

36 posts, read 66,578 times
@oregonwoodsmoke LOL well that's good. I'm sure everyone is nice. Thanks to all for the replies.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:01 PM

7 posts, read 7,212 times
As a Boise native that moved away six months ago I can tell you this; a major reason in leaving was how ill-tempered and rude people have become. It shows in the way they drive, the way they shop, the way you're treated in different situations. The Mormons will be very nice until they figure out they can't convert you and then you'll be ignored. The rest I think are just unhappy that they live in the middle of a desert making half what they're worth and breathing smoke all summer long.

So apparently if you're a conservative you're a "good person". Just be careful to not disagree with any of the conservatives or, God forbid, admit you're NOT a conservative and you'll be fine. Or just convert to Mormonism and you'll be set.

And don't expect to be allowed to merge or change lanes once you move. It's every jerk for himself in Boise. I've travelled all over the country and world and I can honestly say the WORST drivers I've ever encountered were in Boise. It became a game to count how many times we almost got in a wreck whenever we left the house. Or how many times we turned on our blinker and someone sped up to block us.

I live in a gorgeous city with a metro population of 2 million and driving is a dream. My commute is no worse than trying to go from downtown Boise to Meridian. People consistently let you over, let you in, let you merge with no problem. No one flips you off, no one yells at you out their window. Everyone knows we're all in traffic together and tomorrow it will be them needing over and you letting them. People are just happier in general here and there's not a negative vibe hanging over the city.

So good luck! People will attack my comments and say I'm just being negative but I can name 20 people off the top of my head that moved out of Boise because of how "conservative", "mormon" and "mean-spirited" that city has become.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 PM

45 posts, read 42,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttahereID View Post
As a Boise native that moved away six months ago I can tell you this; a major reason in leaving was how ill-tempered and rude people have become. It shows in the way they drive, the way they shop, the way you're treated in different situations. The Mormons will be very nice until they figure out they can't convert you and then you'll be ignored. The rest I think are just unhappy that they live in the middle of a desert making half what they're worth and breathing smoke all summer long.

So apparently if you're a conservative you're a "good person". Just be careful to not disagree with any of the conservatives or, God forbid, admit you're NOT a conservative and you'll be fine. Or just convert to Mormonism and you'll be set.

And don't expect to be allowed to merge or change lanes once you move. It's every jerk for himself in Boise. I've travelled all over the country and world and I can honestly say the WORST drivers I've ever encountered were in Boise. It became a game to count how many times we almost got in a wreck whenever we left the house. Or how many times we turned on our blinker and someone sped up to block us.

I live in a gorgeous city with a metro population of 2 million and driving is a dream. My commute is no worse than trying to go from downtown Boise to Meridian. People consistently let you over, let you in, let you merge with no problem. No one flips you off, no one yells at you out their window. Everyone knows we're all in traffic together and tomorrow it will be them needing over and you letting them. People are just happier in general here and there's not a negative vibe hanging over the city.

So good luck! People will attack my comments and say I'm just being negative but I can name 20 people off the top of my head that moved out of Boise because of how "conservative", "mormon" and "mean-spirited" that city has become.
sounds like michigan. except prettier. and less meth/gangs possibly.

sounds good!

i live in tigard oregon right now, people are insanely nice and let you merge as you say...they also do not know how to drive worth a damn, and its too expensive for me to sustain living here for hte longterm.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:59 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:

The quote above is a bit of a hypocritical post from you after reading the post below from another thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/45190535-post59.html

Quote:
OuttahereID
Why is it that all the haters find their way to the city data forums? It's very hard sometimes to get solid information because someone inevitably comes on here and talks about what an awful place it is. It's not going to stop people from moving there. We've been to Tampa and the number one reason for moving is clean air. Nice weather and beaches are great but mainly it's a white state, nice change from deep red, clean, large enough to have all the amenities and has a growing IT presence.
Traffic is a dream compared to my city and cost of living is the same. Something awful could be said about any city but it would be nice to have more of a balance.
I think you have an issue with the Mormons and obviously blowing it out of perspective. Quite possibly your driving skills are such that people react to you. I've never experienced anything like you explain while driving around Boise.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:39 AM

347 posts, read 401,885 times
I can count on my hands the number of times I've heard a car horn here.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
Quote:

What city do you live in now?

I dont have much to say here other than I have to disagree with alot of what you said. I'm liberal and find getting along with the people around me, the conservatives and all, goes swimmingly. I've driven in and around 30+ states and find Boise drivers to be some of the most cautious and mild mannered out of ANY city ( and I grew up in a rural area without any traffic)

If you meet an a-hole every now and then, that's okay, some people are a-holes. But if you encounter a-holes everywhere you go and everytime you drive... maybe take a look at the way you're conducting yourself. Not trying to be combative, just saying.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:05 PM

731 posts, read 957,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
Everyone seemed friendly to me, we are from Southern California so everything is relative to what we are accustomed too. When we were driving in Meridian pulling flyers from homes listed on the market a neighbor saw our California plates came out and told us all about the area, homes, school etc etc. That is an example of the people in the area, super super nice, people waving to you when you drive by in the neighborhoods etc.
That was my experience too! I've never been anywhere that is as friendly as I've found here.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:32 AM

617 posts, read 832,097 times
Quote:

LOL you've clearly never driven in Florida. You're saying a city of about 700k people known for its friendliness has ruder and more aggressive drivers than Miami or Orlando, cities known for aggressive driving, road rage, clueless lost tourists, and uninsured drivers? Give me a break...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area