Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:52 PM

23 posts, read 32,093 times

Advertisements

How is the public transportation in Boise? Is it safe at all times of the day? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 08:12 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westbound55 View Post
How is the public transportation in Boise? Is it safe at all times of the day? Thanks!
It is safe, your main concern is determining a route that works best for you and if the schedule is convenient. Most buses only run on weekdays and there is some limited Saturday service.

valleyride| Ada & Canyon County Idaho Bus Transportation

Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times
Our bus system is safe but has bad service and limited hours of operation. We do have a new transit station downtown, which is nice, but does little to fix the larger operational problems. There's been talk of improving it for years but to date there's been little traction.

This article does a good job of summarizing the current state of public transit in Boise

Boise’s population booms, but people aren’t getting on the bus

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article130874814.html#storylink=cpy

Old 03-30-2017, 09:29 AM

I feel everyone who insists on driving a pick up truck as their main vehicle (especially diesel fueled ones) should be required to park them at the park and ride lots and use the bus's to get to where they need to go. This might help increase the use of the bus system.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:33 PM

58 posts, read 55,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I feel everyone who insists on driving a pick up truck as their main vehicle (especially diesel fueled ones) should be required to park them at the park and ride lots and use the bus's to get to where they need to go. This might help increase the use of the bus system.

Good thing you're not the Mayor/Governor/President.

I hear California likes people with your mindset.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:01 AM

23 posts, read 32,093 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks everybody! Good info & a chuckle!

Old 03-31-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNH5-7 View Post
Good thing you're not the Mayor/Governor/President.

I hear California likes people with your mindset.
Naw, in a city teeming with Subaru's, Nissan Leafs, and Toyota Priuses and numerous electric charging stations for cars that need it, what I posted is something I hear often. Not all of Idaho fits into a stereo type that you may think it does nor fits into what appears to be your mindset.

Boise kind of goes against the grind when compared to the rest of rural Idaho. For instance, the city is staring a Compost program this summer and delivering new compost bins to sit alongside our trash and recycling bins. Everyone's bill for trash/recycling/and now composting will increase, but those who opt out of the composting will not get a discount that the rest will who opt in for a composting bin.

Boise set to launch composting program this summer | KTVB.COM

Quote:
Trash collection bills for single family homes are expected to go up about $8.40 once the program kicks off. But those who choose to participate in the composting will get a $5 rebate, bringing their total cost increase to about $3.40.

https://curbit.cityofboise.org/composting/faq/

Quote:
Am I required to participate in this program?

No. Customers may decide to opt-out of the compost collection program. However, customers who elect to opt-out will not receive the $5 monthly participation rebate and will pay a higher rate than if they participated in the program. Additionally, customers who opt-out of the program will not receive any of the benefits of the program, such as fall leaf collection or Christmas tree collection.

Whew...off topic but I had to respond. Maybe we should start a Composting thread.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:05 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I feel everyone who insists on driving a pick up truck as their main vehicle (especially diesel fueled ones) should be required to park them at the park and ride lots and use the bus's to get to where they need to go. This might help increase the use of the bus system.......
So, if I want to buy 10 sheets of plywood or a new sofa, I have to leave my pickup outside the city limits and ride the bus with my ten sheets of plywood?

You also feel it is an excellent idea to close all the home improvement stores, lumber yards, furniture stores, appliance stores, and all the places that sell large TV sets? Oh wait, if I have help, maybe I could carry a 60 inch TV on the city bus, so the electronics stores can stay open.

Maybe if nobody is riding the bus, the city should save the money it is wasting on an unwanted service and close the bus system down. Instead of legislating that people must ride the bus. That's definitely one of those California communist ideas.

Voluntary composting is nothing like mandatory bus usage.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, if I want to buy 10 sheets of plywood or a new sofa, I have to leave my pickup outside the city limits and ride the bus with my ten sheets of plywood?

You also feel it is an excellent idea to close all the home improvement stores, lumber yards, furniture stores, appliance stores, and all the places that sell large TV sets? Oh wait, if I have help, maybe I could carry a 60 inch TV on the city bus, so the electronics stores can stay open.

Maybe if nobody is riding the bus, the city should save the money it is wasting on an unwanted service and close the bus system down. Instead of legislating that people must ride the bus. That's definitely one of those California communist ideas.

Voluntary composting is nothing like mandatory bus usage.
Lol, some of you are taking that comment way to seriously and not seeing the sarcasm.

Hopefully if you have a pick up truck you also have a car to drive when the truck is not required

FYI, the city does not own the bus system.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:29 AM

This might be interesting to some people, especially those who like to cycle and can commute this way instead of driving or relying on the bus system.

https://media2.fdncms.com/boiseweekl...?cb=1473273190
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area