Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:24 PM

149 posts, read 686,583 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to Boise within the next couple of years and I was wondering how green it is there in the summer? Does it get brown like it does in CA? I know that it is a dry climate so I assumed that it might. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 05:22 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Very brown, outside of town, but you would never know it being in city limits, alot of trees and grass.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:23 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
Boise looks a lot like California in the summer.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 PM

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, although that's not different from anywhere else I'm considering either. I was just hoping with all the rivers around that Boise might be a bit more green.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:37 PM

So I know Boise is "The City of Trees" but how many trees are we talking? I love trees and I was wondering if there are tons of them in the city and surrounding areas? If so, do you think there are more than I might find in the Fort Collins area?

Old 03-09-2008, 06:23 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
Depends where you live in the Boise Area. If you live in the City of Boise and even Eagle I would say compared to other dry Western cities it has a lot of trees. The suburbs have less and south of the city is high desert. The mountains to the north are dense with pines, etc. I would imagine the green is very similar to Fort Collins, being green in the city and mountains and almost treeless otherwise.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,787 times
Boise is on the edge of a vast range of mountains and forests (to the northeast) and endless high desert (south and west). From Boise most everything is brown and cheat-grass infested, especially the foothills and everything to the south and west. The foothills stay somewhat green (kind of a dull green) until early June, and then stay brown until the snow covers them.

There are a lot of weeds and cheat grass here.

The city itself is fairly green - when you're looking from the higher elevations down onto Boise you see a canopy of green trees, tucked away along the base of the foothills extending south to about the interstate, and west until Meridian and Eagle (roughly).

It feels very green when you're downtown, if you're anywhere along the river, in the parks, or in the residential areas.

As for environmentally "green" - not at all. We have the Banner Bank Building, which is an award winning green building, and we have a small segment of people who try to live green, but otherwise it's pretty opposite of green.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post

As for environmentally "green" - not at all. We have the Banner Bank Building, which is an award winning green building, and we have a small segment of people who try to live green, but otherwise it's pretty opposite of green.
Bieter signed some BS green city pact, but the car culture kind of negates that.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:02 AM

So why is the Boise area so dependent on cars? Is there a lack of public transportation? Or is the system just lacking in capacity? Perhaps it is unsafe or unreliable? What is the public transit situation like in the Boise area? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deselminator View Post
So why is the Boise area so dependent on cars? Is there a lack of public transportation? Or is the system just lacking in capacity? Perhaps it is unsafe or unreliable? What is the public transit situation like in the Boise area? Any feedback would be appreciated.
There is an inneffective bus sytem that runs around Boise, but doesn't go very far west at all. There is a large number of people who live in the Western suburbs (Meridian, Nampa, Eagle) that work in Boise. The only way to get from the West to the East is in a car. Even if you live in an area where the bus runs, I doubt if anyone would know where and when to catch the right bus. I have ridden the bus once, several years ago, and that was it. The busses usually run emtpy.

There is always talk about light rail from the mayor and council, but without a local option sales tax, that the rural legislature refuses to allow Ada and Canyon County to implement, there is no way to pay for any type of mass transportation. There also talk that there is not a big enough population, or the fact that people will not use it if we had one.

You will find in Idaho that there is a deep divide between the Treasure Valley and the rest of the state, when it comes to funding issues. So, in the near future there will be no improvement in the mass transportation mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: