Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:52 PM

16 posts, read 17,769 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are moving to Boise this fall from Henderson, Nevada. Like Idaho, our public school system is poor, so our kids are in private school here but we will not be able to afford that luxury once we move, at least initially. We want to find the best school district, and we'll purchase a home in that area. We are open to any surrounding areas as well, such as Eagle and Meridian. Our son is currently in elementary and our daughter is in junior high but will be in high school in a couple of years so I'd love to find an area where all three schools are good (relatively speaking.) As a side note, I strongly believe that parents are just as vital to a child's education as their teachers, and I try to stay very involved; but, I'd still like the best teachers/admin/curriculum that I can get in the area.

I realize that everyone has their own ideas of what is "good," so any and all information and opinions are appreciated!! Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 10:03 AM

679 posts, read 812,034 times
The West Ada school district is the states largest,it covers Meridian, Eagle, SW Boise areas. That is where the new construction is going in and therefore, more newer schools.

My kid went to schools in the district and got a decent education. Not many issues that I remember.

We built our home in '04 based on being in the school district and passed on a better lot because it would have meant Kuna school district.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
The West Ada school district is the states largest,it covers Meridian, Eagle, SW Boise areas. That is where the new construction is going in and therefore, more newer schools.

My kid went to schools in the district and got a decent education. Not many issues that I remember.

We built our home in '04 based on being in the school district and passed on a better lot because it would have meant Kuna school district.
Thank you for the information! I've been on the Reddit forums and as far as high schools go, it seems that Boise High is the hands down "favorite." Can you shed any light on that?

Old 06-02-2017, 02:17 PM

Great, thanks again for the info!!

Old 06-05-2017, 04:16 PM

115 posts, read 260,589 times
There are so many choices now it might depend on what you and your child are looking for. There are what I would call 'regular' high schools, charter schools, STEM schools. I don't know much about the Boise district but the West Ada district has some cool programs. For example, my kid didn't get into a charter but is doing something called CTE where he will go 1/2 time at his regular high school and 1/2 time at Renaissance to get his Engineering track classes. With CTE there are options for agricultural/animal science, business, trades (welding/mechanical), medical, and a few others. I know Renaissance has an IB program itself, and there is a Meridian Technical Charter School for technology kids. Most of the 'regular' high schools have 2000-2500 students but it hasn't been that bad for my kid. I don't know how big the charter schools are.

I know there are a few K-8 schools and magnet schools (arts is at one and STEM is at another).

I don't know that you can pick a school for it's teachers because they move around so much.

If you have questions about a specific West Ada school I can probably help out so PM me.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:23 AM

Thanks, Mtnlady, really appreciate it!! I will PM you.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,500 times
I suggest you to consider private (with financial assistance), their public school's score are low and is common core based... not good. I am moving there soon, and putting my kids into Cole Valley Elementary for this year. If you can afford it later on, check out The Ambrose School, great school, but considered pricey due low cost of living there $600-$800 per child, but considered good price for those of us coming from CA, which is $1200/ea child.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 AM

818 posts, read 1,067,937 times
I totally agree that the children's parents are vital in the kids education process!

I know people that have done a great jobs "home schooling" their kids with no public school supplements and I know others that sent their kids to IVY League schools and the kids failed because they were not into it personally. (you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink)

Some great comments so far thanks to mortgageboss, mtnlady, and JF68. I concur with their feedback.

One thing to keep in mind is that our school district boundaries are constantly changing due to growth. Our school district boundaries do not make much sense since I can name several examples where you can physically see a school from a home, yet the kids get bused to a different school and sometimes different district.

Most schools welcome and encourage parent participation and are willing to talk to parents directly about their school before you sign up there.

Be very cautious about online ranking sites. For example, if a district spend their money well they might be ranked lower for less expenditures per student. Some people look at student teacher ratios, but I know some of my best classes at Boise State University had larger classroom sizes and horrible ratios. Few people take the time to log into those sites to compliment them, but they are quick to log in as a "hater".

Thanks for caring about your kids education - they will help determine our future.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF68 View Post
I suggest you to consider private (with financial assistance), their public school's score are low and is common core based... not good. I am moving there soon, and putting my kids into Cole Valley Elementary for this year. If you can afford it later on, check out The Ambrose School, great school, but considered pricey due low cost of living there $600-$800 per child, but considered good price for those of us coming from CA, which is $1200/ea child.

Thank you, JF68, I appreciate it! I have looked into Ambrose and we are considering that for the future.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
I totally agree that the children's parents are vital in the kids education process!

I know people that have done a great jobs "home schooling" their kids with no public school supplements and I know others that sent their kids to IVY League schools and the kids failed because they were not into it personally. (you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink)

Some great comments so far thanks to mortgageboss, mtnlady, and JF68. I concur with their feedback.

One thing to keep in mind is that our school district boundaries are constantly changing due to growth. Our school district boundaries do not make much sense since I can name several examples where you can physically see a school from a home, yet the kids get bused to a different school and sometimes different district.

Most schools welcome and encourage parent participation and are willing to talk to parents directly about their school before you sign up there.

Be very cautious about online ranking sites. For example, if a district spend their money well they might be ranked lower for less expenditures per student. Some people look at student teacher ratios, but I know some of my best classes at Boise State University had larger classroom sizes and horrible ratios. Few people take the time to log into those sites to compliment them, but they are quick to log in as a "hater".

Thanks for caring about your kids education - they will help determine our future.
Thank you! As usual, you've provided great insight into Boise and it is much appreciated! I agree with your assessment about online ranking sites, period; that's why I'm here, to also get local feedback. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area