Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 PM

31 posts, read 98,798 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My wife and I are considering relocating to Boise from the Olympic Peninsula (Port Angele) so I can get a little more sun, along with some better access to snow sports.
I'm a CT tech and my wife is an RN.
We're just wondering how the different facilities are as employers and if the are any real hang ups working for any of them, such as parking problems and the like. Both St. Lukes and Alphonse seemm to have pretty good reps, but ya never know.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
I don't and didn't work at a local hospital but I always found the staff at St. Lukes to be much friendlier and more attentive than St. Al's.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:27 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,026 times
a buddy of mine is an x-ray tech at St. Al's. He's not a huge fan of his bosses but is good friends with his co-workers

Old 03-10-2008, 11:38 PM

Thanks guys.
So, Lperkins33, does you buddy enjoy his workplace as far as you know?
I mean, management in the medical field can be a pain most places...

Old 03-11-2008, 12:25 AM

310 posts, read 1,282,026 times
yeah he likes the field, enjoys the challange, not a huge fan of the hours (he works the night shift) but he loves the week on, week off schedule. He goes on all sorts of trips on his time off.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:21 PM

Thanks Lp33. It's nice to know they run some creative schedules. Something that makes a employer more attractive.
Anyone else out there with any info? Any financial issues with either facility? From what I can gather they are both solvent and expanding to fit the needs of the communities they service.
My wife and I need to get out of the rain here! (Me especially)

Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
snowsurfer I might be able to get some info for you, I have several people in my neighborhood in the medical field. Give me a couple of days and I'll get them on here to help you out. I'm meeting with one of them on Friday, but I'll try to get info from them before that.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:03 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
I have a relative who works at Saint Alphonsus and he really loves his job, he gets a lot of overtime too. Both main hospitals, Saint Alphonsus and St Lukes have each recently built new smaller hospitals in Eagle so I am sure there is a large demand for employees.
St. Al's is one of the finest trauma centers in the Northwest and recently expanded the main campus with a new tower.
Both hospitals have life flight heli's too to fetch hurt people out of Idaho's mountains.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:47 PM

Thank you Torrie. I'll look forward to hearing from you/them soon.
And thanks for the info Syringaloid (not sure what to make of that tag, though)

Old 03-12-2008, 12:32 PM

34 posts, read 197,681 times
I have friends that work at St. Luke's and the love it. My sister work's at St. Al's and loves it as well. I usually go to St. Luke's as that is the hospital my insurance uses as a primary care facility. I am an EMT and have worked with the ER's for both facilities. Both are fully prepared to handle any emergency.

As far as jobs, I have heard there is an extreme shortage of RNs in Boise, so you probably have a wider choice of opportunities than in other fields. And, you don't necessarily have look only at hospitals. Ton's of other RN jobs elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area