Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:28 AM

69 posts, read 86,884 times

Advertisements

I've lived here since 1966
Most people don't know this... and the others ones won't tell you
But Read this first:
snakeriveralliance.org/idaho-national-laboratory/Idaho National Laboratory | Snake River Alliance

And look up Arco, Idaho (Atomic City)

Ceil Andrus Ex-Governor is sueing for the people who are effected...I'm one

Last edited by CASD57; 07-15-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 10:41 AM

69 posts, read 86,884 times
Wow I keep getting deleted

Before you set your sites on Boise Area, Do a google search for Arco, Idaho (Atomic City) also for
Snake River Alliance Idaho's Nuclear Watchdog/ IDAHO NATIONAL LABORATORY
INL
"It covers 890 square miles (about 2/3 the area of Rhode Island) of southern Idaho’s high desert plain. Beneath that plain lies the Snake River Aquifer, the second largest unified aquifer on the North American continent. After the aquifer flows beneath the Site, it continues westward, providing water for the Magic Valley, one of the state’s richest agricultural regions with a growing population and diversifying economy."

Old 07-18-2017, 09:41 AM

36 posts, read 47,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Wow I keep getting deleted

Before you set your sites on Boise Area, Do a google search for Arco, Idaho (Atomic City) also for
Snake River Alliance Idaho's Nuclear Watchdog/ IDAHO NATIONAL LABORATORY
INL
"It covers 890 square miles (about 2/3 the area of Rhode Island) of southern Idaho’s high desert plain. Beneath that plain lies the Snake River Aquifer, the second largest unified aquifer on the North American continent. After the aquifer flows beneath the Site, it continues westward, providing water for the Magic Valley, one of the state’s richest agricultural regions with a growing population and diversifying economy."
I for one THANK YOU for this important information. If people keep ignoring the issues, how can they ever get fixed?

I'm going to learn more about this before I comment. ALL issues are important, whether we agree with them or not. Whatever happened to compromise in our country???

Old 07-18-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
If my kids weren't on the West Coast, I would seriously look at eastern Tennessee as a retirement spot.

Southern Oregon, eastern Oregon, eastern Washington, and Central Valley California are mostly conservative areas of liberal states. We decided on eastern Washington and I retire in 7 weeks.
I lived in Aberdeen (north of Seattle) for a bit. It was quiet, pretty, safe, mild climate, and friendly enough. But where in eastern WA have you decided? Spokane? I have never lived there, but have driven through. I'm a terrible person to ask about areas, I always try to make the best of it, even if I hate where I am at the moment.

Lucky you to be retiring soon! Good luck and may you have a calm, blessed and massively enjoyable retirement!

Old 07-18-2017, 09:41 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGFL View Post
I lived in Aberdeen (north of Seattle) for a bit. It was quiet, pretty, safe, mild climate, and friendly enough. But where in eastern WA have you decided? Spokane? I have never lived there, but have driven through. I'm a terrible person to ask about areas, I always try to make the best of it, even if I hate where I am at the moment.

Lucky you to be retiring soon! Good luck and may you have a calm, blessed and massively enjoyable retirement!
Many thanks....now just over 6 weeks to go.

We decided on Richland because of nice housing at a reasonable cost, proximity to kids and grandkids (Richland and Seattle), nice biking trails, more sun than western Washington, low crime, big enough for a decent little airport, decent shopping and restaurants.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:40 AM

254 posts, read 340,760 times
Quote:

We decided on Richland because of nice housing at a reasonable cost, proximity to kids and grandkids (Richland and Seattle), nice biking trails, more sun than western Washington, low crime, big enough for a decent little airport, decent shopping and restaurants.

I have one word why we would not live there: Hanford

Old 07-19-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:

It sounds delightful. I wish you the very best.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:23 PM

71 posts, read 115,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGHTONSC View Post
coffeebreakwhatever,

Sounds to me like you live over by Phelan/Piñon Hills/Baldy Mesa area. Don't blame you for wanting to get out of there! Our kids lived a bit west of you in Lancaster and recently resettled up here by us in Meridian.

My wife and I retired to Eagle in 2015, after having lived in Southern California for more than 60 years. The last 14 years in California we lived in Murrieta, where like you, we had several months of 100+ degree days which we could not tolerate near as well as we grew older. We have had a hot summer here this year, but as I type this, it is 70 degrees out (7:00 a.m.) down from a high of 101 yesterday. The nights cool off by about 30 degrees, unlike Southern California.
Remember, come up here and give her a test drive before you pull the trigger.

Best regards,

JR

Thanks JR, for the info. Yeah, I am near Phelan.. Hesperia to be exact. And I think it'd be a fair exchange with lower wages and lower prices on everything, compared to higher wages.. and higher prices on everything! We are over 55 so not looking for schools and society and all that! Do you have any input on housing prices and availability? It looks like my option are a travel trailer and live in that till I find a house, but then I have read so many comments that houses are extremely fast. But I want to spend a little more time searching the surrounding outskirts to find what I want so not sure a hotel would work. Then my household stuff...I sell this house and do what with household stuff? No where to ship it until I find a house....plus, we dont' have a ton of money to go up a few times and look around and experience it and all. Sure is a hard decision to make as to how to get there! Thanks for anything you have to offer. Oh, BTW... what out skirt areas do you recommend for us retirees...quiet, 30 minutes of so into town in case he can find a job in upper construction, low crime and drugs etc, conservative environment and space between neighbors and no HOA?

Old 08-15-2017, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 3,626 times
I totally agree if you are thinking of moving to Idaho from Calif or any liberal state.
Don't bring your liberal mind and try and change everything to fit what you have just left. People resent that and can't stand newcomers!!! Stay where you are with that type of mindset!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:03 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
I have one word why we would not live there: Hanford
Understood, that did give me pause. I researched it and it doesn't appear that cancer rates are higher in the area. I wouldn't question anyone that would choose not to live near here due to Hanford and if more study revealed an identified risk to residents, I would move...so far, that doesn't appear to be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area