Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 05:07 PM

33 posts, read 48,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangjoey View Post
I've been researching where to move for over a decade, and first looked in Idaho in 2007. I recently pulled up a bunch of stats (some from here - https://stateimpact.npr.org/idaho/ma...oves-to-idaho/), and the numbers are interesting.

California is the biggest state by far, but does not have largest number of those who have moved to Idaho in the last decade. That honor belongs to Washington State. California is second, but some of that is due to how many people are in the state. When you look at the percentage of folks who moved from their home state to Idaho, California is second to last in the percentage of folks that moved in relation to the population of the state. There are big variances in that percentage. Texas is the lowest with 1/100th of 1 percent of the population moving here, with Wyoming the highest with almost 1/3 of 1% of their population moving here.

I can say one thing though, the folks that I have met who also moved here from California since I moved here have been just like I am. They want to assimilate, fit in, appreciate what Idaho offers and not change Idaho into California. When I'm driving home, sometimes I go out of my way to drive by farmland rather than through our subdivision area, I just love it. Interestingly enough, the first real liberal person that I've met since we moved here (I happen to be conservative) is our neighbor, who was born and raised in Idaho.

Here are some interesting stats that I compiled, if you need something to help you sleep. Sorry for the formatting, the data does not paste correctly and needed a lot of massaging.
State...........Population.....Moved to Idaho....% of Population...% of Total Moved to Idaho
Washington..7,288,000......10,520.............0.14 .....................22.47
California.....39,250,000.....10,000............0. 03.....................21.36
Utah............3,051,000......6,427.............. 0.21.....................13.73
Oregon........4,093,000......5,471..............0. 13.....................11.69
Nevada........2,940,000......2,929..............0. 10.....................6.26
Arizona........6,931,000......2,909..............0 .04.....................6.21
Texas..........27,860,000.....2,835..............0 .01.....................6.06
Montana......1,043,000......2,121..............0.2 0......................4.53
Colorado......5,541,000......2,008..............0. 04.....................4.29
Wyoming.....585,501.........1,592...............0. 27....................3.40
Total...............................46,812

In 2015, Idaho was the 4th most popular state to move to, after Oregon and South Carolina.
1. Oregon
2. South Carolina
3. Vermont
4. Idaho
5. North Carolina
6. Florida
7. Nevada
8. District of Columbia
9. Texas
10. Washington

From the people who I've talked to, seems that there are a lot of retirees, particularly retired police and fire, and those people tend to be pretty like-minded for the most part (not trying to generalize), and come here with their own incomes and aren't expecting services that our taxes pay for. CA, on the other hand, seems to be having an influx of folks that aren't bringing anything to the table but want services that tax payments have to support/provide.

Sorry for the book, just rambling on now. I love it here and am so glad I got my family out of California and can raise our three children here. I promise to fit in and not try to change Idaho.
mustangjoey,

This is great information about where the people are moving from. I would figure more from California was that information from 2015 or current. This is good insight for people to know about the real percentages that is interesting that Oregon, South Carolina, and Vermont are higher up the list than Idaho. Not going to complain with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:00 AM

355 posts, read 564,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY THE LAND PRO View Post
mustangjoey,

This is great information about where the people are moving from. I would figure more from California was that information from 2015 or current. This is good insight for people to know about the real percentages that is interesting that Oregon, South Carolina, and Vermont are higher up the list than Idaho. Not going to complain with that.
Good point, that data that I posted was from 2012, I missed that. It's tough to find good information that is more current. Lots of data, but all over the place.

Here's something a little bit more current. From 2010 - 2016, Idaho is 9th in percentage growth at just over 7.3%. But, since the population of the state is pretty small, it's 24th as far as the population increase number goes.

Like you, I love it here and am so glad we made the move!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_growth_rate

Old 08-10-2017, 09:30 AM

239 posts, read 661,072 times
Not sure that this helps, but how do you think most native Californians feel about what has happened to their state? You can't complain about an influx of strangers until you have been living in CA for the last 40 years. Those of us who are fleeing the decline of CA are generally like minded and hope that the family friendly, common sense attributes remain in places like ID.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Shed View Post
Not sure that this helps, but how do you think most native Californians feel about what has happened to their state? You can't complain about an influx of strangers until you have been living in CA for the last 40 years. Those of us who are fleeing the decline of CA are generally like minded and hope that the family friendly, common sense attributes remain in places like ID.
Couldn't agree with you more!

Old 08-14-2017, 09:14 PM

236 posts, read 195,702 times
Humeston - I know what you meanwhen you say "nothing of my childhood remains".....Perhaps this is true now of most cities in the United States as our world keeps on changing and melding together. When I grew up in Southern California in the 70's-80's it was chock full of gorgeous strawberry fields and orange groves and downtown Huntington Beach was amazingly peaceful. Back then nobody ever heard of "road rage". Everybody is trying to find a new place to feel safe and happy I guess.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:18 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
Humeston - I know what you meanwhen you say "nothing of my childhood remains".....Perhaps this is true now of most cities in the United States as our world keeps on changing and melding together. When I grew up in Southern California in the 70's-80's it was chock full of gorgeous strawberry fields and orange groves and downtown Huntington Beach was amazingly peaceful. Back then nobody ever heard of "road rage". Everybody is trying to find a new place to feel safe and happy I guess.
Similar to what is happening in the Boise area. Prized farm land is being turned into residential and retail.
Think about that before you move here.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:39 AM

This is all really scary stuff when you think about it. I've read a number of articles about the midwest aquifers drying up (we're using water for farming at a rate faster than it is being replenished), and some of the larger aquifers are said to possibly be dry within 20 years. What that could mean is that those areas would have to rely on dry farming. So, areas that currently use groundwater irrigation and can farm year round could end up having only one crop, or more I guess depending on how much rain the area receives.

As we continue to use up farmland due to advanced farming techniques and the ability to farm year-round (other than when the weather is too cold, of course), we're much more at risk if we have to rely on dry farming, particularly as the amount of farmland is sold and used for housing and population growth.

Do some research on it, it's scary stuff to think about.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:22 PM

236 posts, read 195,702 times
Smile prized farmland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Similar to what is happening in the Boise area. Prized farm land is being turned into residential and retail.
Think about that before you move here.
oh okay- I moved here in 2013 from Austin, TX. I have not to my knowledge destroyed any farmland and I don't even take any of the stray onions which land in the street near any farms.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:26 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
oh okay- I moved here in 2013 from Austin, TX. I have not to my knowledge destroyed any farmland and I don't even take any of the stray onions which land in the street near any farms.
Did you buy a new house that was built over what used to be farmland?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:31 PM

131 posts, read 197,695 times
syringa - The north end used to be farmland, the west bench used to be farmland, and so on and so on. What do you expect when people keep multiplying??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area