Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:53 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times

Advertisements

Zumper Rent Report has Boise down 8%. Number 67 overall.
https://www.zumper.com/blog/2017/08/...eptember-2017/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 01:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
That's not 8%. That means we went down on the list by 8 spots. So 8 other cities passed us for being more expensive. Doesn't necessarily say anything about local prices. Plus, the chart only shows 1 and 2 bedroom rentals (and 2 bedroom prices are up, not down), so I have to wonder whether they take 3 and 4 (and more) into account, because 3 and 4 bedroom homes are the majority of the non-apartment rental market around here.

As for actual first hand experience, I found September and October to be much slower months this year, we actually had a few rentals that have taken a bit of time to rent, rather than having 15 people all wanting it the day it is vacated. Part of that, though, is owners hearing that the market is very busy and demanding we list for too much, even after we advise against it. Then when it sits vacant for 2 weeks, they go back to the price that we recommended in the first place and we get 10 applications, 1 or 2 of which are actually ok, and we get it rented (we don't charge an application fee, so we get everyone, and turn down about 90% of our applicants).

Personal opinion: I think prices are stabilizing for the winter, as most landlords do not want wintertime vacancies, but I expect them to go up again in the spring.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:59 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
That's not 8%. That means we went down on the list by 8 spots. So 8 other cities passed us for being more expensive. Doesn't necessarily say anything about local prices. Plus, the chart only shows 1 and 2 bedroom rentals (and 2 bedroom prices are up, not down), so I have to wonder whether they take 3 and 4 (and more) into account, because 3 and 4 bedroom homes are the majority of the non-apartment rental market around here.

As for actual first hand experience, I found September and October to be much slower months this year, we actually had a few rentals that have taken a bit of time to rent, rather than having 15 people all wanting it the day it is vacated. Part of that, though, is owners hearing that the market is very busy and demanding we list for too much, even after we advise against it. Then when it sits vacant for 2 weeks, they go back to the price that we recommended in the first place and we get 10 applications, 1 or 2 of which are actually ok, and we get it rented (we don't charge an application fee, so we get everyone, and turn down about 90% of our applicants).

Personal opinion: I think prices are stabilizing for the winter, as most landlords do not want wintertime vacancies, but I expect them to go up again in the spring.
Great. Maybe rents are becoming more affordable for people that struggle to afford them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area