Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 AM

355 posts, read 564,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Wait until winter. You'll wonder where the day went because it was over so quickly.
You're right, the days are about an hour shorter. I figured the days would be shorter due to the latitude, but the way the time zone juts over for part of southern Idaho and eastern Oregon, the sunset is actually later than it is in Southern California. Sunrise is about an hour and fifteen minutes later (which never really bothered me, I like to golf later in the day ).

Overall, there is about an hour less of daylight, but sunset is actually later in the day by about 20 minutes, which is cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 11:50 AM

679 posts, read 811,897 times
First, welcome to the Treasure Valley. Its a great place filled with great people. Most are really happy to be here, that is one reason why we are so friendly and happy.

I used to live all over Florida, and there is no way I would like there again. Way too many impolite, uptight mostly Yankees down there for the winter. I got so tired of hearing "how we did it" in New Jersey or New York.

Just go with the flow, and in no time you'll assimilate into our lifestyle. Its the envy of most of the country.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:01 PM

164 posts, read 227,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelwaySasquatch View Post
Well, I gave warning here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.
By my count that's nine warnings, so.......can't say I didn't warn ya!

Concerning your question ".......is everyone here high.......?"
Yeah, pretty much.
You'll realize that more when you've been driving there longer.

Welcome to Idaho.
Yes, you did! LOL

Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 AM

232 posts, read 565,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humeston View Post
Only been here nine days so certainly our views will change but these are the first few "Surprises" we discovered so far. Keep in mind we live in NW Boise just south of Eagle.

• The middle of the day can be brutally hot! And I am from Florida, so for me to say that it means something.
  • Evenings are cool. Like that!
  • NW Boise/Eagle area reminds me of California or Oregon a bit, with lots of young people with tattoos and purple/green hair. Again, may just be the area we are in.
  • People are too damn happy! OMG is everyone here high or something? No matter who I run into, the cashier at the store, fast food attendant, anyone, they are just so freaking happy! Coming from South Florida this is bizarre behavior. It might take me some time to get used to this!
  • Traffic on Eagle Road is often a nightmare of sorts. Just tons of traffic! Avoid if you can.
  • Have not heard anyone blow their horn since we have been here. What's with that?
  • Lots of people seem to be from other parts. First day out met another Miami Dolphin football fan!
  • The items at thrift shops are astoundingly cheap. And well stocked with good stuff!
  • The sun doesn't seem to set until 10 PM! Screws up my sleeping pattern.
  • Extremely clean city!
Overall, a terrific place. Some things we have to get use to, like the 2 hour difference from the east coast, difficulty finding NFL football games, etc.

Hope this helps someone looking at the area.

DH

Great post, Humeston. Welcome to Idaho.

After a lot of research, we narrowed our retirement home search down to the Boise area, or the area around San Antonio, TX. We took leave and came to Boise for a 3 week stay. After 3 or 4 days we were so amazed at how friendly and happy everyone was that we fully expected Alan Funt to jump out from behind a tree and say "You're on Candid Camera!" (sorry, that may be before your time...) Anyway, it was so refreshing. The heat didn't bother us (we'd spent the last four years in the Middle East), and the cool nights were like a dream. Anyway, the Boise area won our hearts....no contest at all....and we haven't regretted it one bit. If I had to make one complaint, it would be that we're a long ways from everywhere.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:18 PM

12 posts, read 11,270 times
"If I had to make one complaint, it would be that we're a long ways from everywhere."

Not a long ways from everywhere I want to be - mountains, rivers, lakes.....

Old 08-25-2017, 10:13 AM

818 posts, read 1,067,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humeston View Post
Only been here nine days so certainly our views will change but these are the first few "Surprises" we discovered so far. Keep in mind we live in NW Boise just south of Eagle.[*]People are too damn happy! OMG is everyone here high or something? No matter who I run into, the cashier at the store, fast food attendant, anyone, they are just so freaking happy! Coming from South Florida this is bizarre behavior. It might take me some time to get used to this!
DH
There are lots of studies linking sunshine and time outdoors to happiness. With all the outdoor activities in the Boise area (golf, hiking, biking, etc.) coupled with the sun being out till almost 10 PM it is a perfect combination.

You have been great at engaging people on this forum as you were looking toward relocating to the Boise area and I hope you continue to share your experiences now that you are here.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:53 PM

9 posts, read 13,423 times
I also love reading your posts humeston. I tend to get on this forum frequently, as we will be moving from Alaska to Idaho eventually. A lot of the complaints I read of make me chuckle as we currently experience those here in Alaska, and I feel we will be prepared. Idaho's inversion is pretty much our entire winter. Our summer daylight is an all day affair, and does not seem to get darker until August, so we will be used to the late night sun. I look most forward to driving 5 hours and being in another state, vs city. I suppose the heat will be something we will have to get used to, but that is what A/C is for It will be a whole new world. 12 years ago, we visited a friend who lived in Riggins, ID and it was the first time (and last time) I have ever seen the Milky Way. It was that dark and unpolluted of light.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelwaySasquatch View Post
Well, I gave warning here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.
By my count that's nine warnings, so.......can't say I didn't warn ya!

Concerning your question ".......is everyone here high.......?"
Yeah, pretty much.
You'll realize that more when you've been driving there longer.

Welcome to Idaho.

Definitely need to add a warning - smoke! During the smoke season, the air quality is so bad. The mountain is brown, and the sky is brown.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
First, welcome to the Treasure Valley. Its a great place filled with great people. Most are really happy to be here, that is one reason why we are so friendly and happy.

I used to live all over Florida, and there is no way I would like there again. Way too many impolite, uptight mostly Yankees down there for the winter. I got so tired of hearing "how we did it" in New Jersey or New York.

Just go with the flow, and in no time you'll assimilate into our lifestyle. Its the envy of most of the country.
This quote made me happy. we have moved, researched, and visited cities and mostly kept the pac NW off our radar for a number of reasons we thought were justifiable. We wanted to be close to home, we wanted to be close to a beach, we didn't want to feel isolated. As such we have taken drawbacks as a necessary evil. Every city we looked at or visited had a MAJOR drawbacks. We were forced to open our search and our minds and, while I have read some negative stuff about Idaho and Boise, the overwhelming majority has been positive. I think I am going to be happy with our choice when we arrive on Oct. 4th. Moving from Louisiana by the way.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:55 AM

124 posts, read 233,056 times
I'm from Massachusetts and I have been looking at different parts of Idaho. Is there some form of public transportation (trains, buses) in Boise? I'm debating whether to take the plunge and move out there next year. Need a change! Thanks for your thoughts about Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: