Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:21 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,986,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTOID View Post
Definitely need to add a warning - smoke! During the smoke season, the air quality is so bad. The mountain is brown, and the sky is brown.
Smoke from summertime forest fires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 05:55 PM

149 posts, read 175,391 times
Smoke was horrible in WA state and Oregon as well ....because of fires in the NW... Well, when I lived in WA state we experienced it every year... It is not ONLY Idaho related , u know...

Old 09-22-2017, 02:20 AM

127 posts, read 140,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalijaasbj View Post
Smoke was horrible in WA state and Oregon as well ....because of fires in the NW... Well, when I lived in WA state we experienced it every year... It is not ONLY Idaho related , u know...
Yes, but since Boise is located in a valley, the contaminants in the air get trapped here.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:47 PM

164 posts, read 227,526 times
Public transportation is lacking severely in the Treasure Valley in my opinion. There does not seem to be any coordinated effort by government or anyone else to follow any sort of master plan. It seems to be wherever the developers want to plop down a few thousand houses the city/county says Yeah! And then someone builds or extends a road. Then the strip malls follow. Reminds me so much of South Florida! Ugh! More and more cars in the valley, more pollution, more sitting in traffic. I have learned to stay off Eagle Road at all costs!

With that said, this is really a small metropolitan community, and except for Eagle Road one can get anyplace pretty fast, so long as they have a car of course. I don't even think I've seen a bus since I've been here! I am sure they have them somewhere. I do see many bicyclists, including a few riding electric bikes!

The valley is set up in such a way it would be terrific having some sort of train or other mode of mass transit. But I am told by long time residents that Idaho has no money for such extravagances. it is generally a poor state. I think that is true, as the way they maintain the roads is horrible.

Thankfully, I do any work I have at home these days, so don't have to travel during peak times. And while the future may be very different, right now it is easy to get around the area if you own a car.
-DH

Old 09-23-2017, 11:15 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humeston View Post

The valley is set up in such a way it would be terrific having some sort of train or other mode of mass transit. But I am told by long time residents that Idaho has no money for such extravagances. it is generally a poor state. I think that is true, as the way they maintain the roads is horrible.

-DH
The need isn't going to go away, and it isn't going to get less expensive with time. The longer Boise waits, the more expensive and complicated it's going to be when they inevitably decide it has to be done.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:42 PM

164 posts, read 227,526 times
Absolutely correct!

Old 09-27-2017, 01:03 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,894,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humeston View Post
Public transportation is lacking severely in the Treasure Valley in my opinion. There does not seem to be any coordinated effort by government or anyone else to follow any sort of master plan. It seems to be wherever the developers want to plop down a few thousand houses the city/county says Yeah! And then someone builds or extends a road. Then the strip malls follow. Reminds me so much of South Florida! Ugh! More and more cars in the valley, more pollution, more sitting in traffic. I have learned to stay off Eagle Road at all costs!

With that said, this is really a small metropolitan community, and except for Eagle Road one can get anyplace pretty fast, so long as they have a car of course. I don't even think I've seen a bus since I've been here! I am sure they have them somewhere. I do see many bicyclists, including a few riding electric bikes!

Thankfully, I do any work I have at home these days, so don't have to travel during peak times. And while the future may be very different, right now it is easy to get around the area if you own a car.
-DH
The city and other agencies are always working on better transportation options for the area, but it takes a while because of our state laws which need to be amended. There would be money if the laws were different and much of the $$ other cities have for public transport comes from the Feds. Give it time. We need it badly and change is needed.

Locals want change badly too, not just newcomers to the area.

Get out of Eagle and go downtown, you will see busses there.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 09-27-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 12:03 PM

100 posts, read 143,497 times
So, what you're saying is that you didn't know there was no bus service or public transportation here before you moved??? A little hard to believe since there are countless threads on this forum relating to that. Evidently you didn't read very much or well.

This one sounds like the people that move into a neighborhood near an airport and then start complaining about the noise. When asked about it, the reply usually goes something like: "Well yeah, we knew there was an airport but we didn't realize they flew planes into it."

I have actually seen buses in Nampa, not a lot and not often but they are there. Realize that, no matter how big it is now, this area was mostly farms and all of the homes were put in not all that long ago. As was posted above, it may change, but now it's still small town living.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:00 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,894,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta_Here View Post
So, what you're saying is that you didn't know there was no bus service or public transportation here before you moved???
? There is bus service/public transport here, it just has its issues.

Boise Routes | Bus Services

Old 09-30-2017, 04:34 PM

100 posts, read 143,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
? There is bus service/public transport here, it just has its issues.

Boise Routes | Bus Services

Sorry, I worded that incorrectly. I knew there was bus service and likely the OP knew it as well. I suspected he thought it would be like where he came from. That rarely happens, especially in ID.

I do notice that they compare everything to So Florida. This isn't So Florida and won't be anytime soon. Probably should get used to that, if you moved here to be away from there. We had another poster here for a time from Seattle. He compared every little thing to how they did it in Seattle. He ended up moving back to Seattle.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: