Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 04:33 PM

64 posts, read 49,800 times

Advertisements

Without going into to much detail on how I've screwed up my life (and I've messed up big time) I need to leave NY I am leaving with the cloths on my back, a dog and just under 5k. I don't have a car,job, or a place to live. I thought about going to Arizona as rent is a great deal cheaper and I could use the light rail for transportation until I got a job and saved enough for a car.

I have done some research and I see that rent is even less expensive than Arizona here in Idaho. I work (until Friday) in a senior center doing IT work and teaching seniors.I also have retail management experience and customer service experience.
Some questions please is it possible to live and work in Idaho without a car? Is it possible to get a studio apt for less than $700. Per month if ys to any of the above questions can anyone recommend an inexpensive stay motel until I find a job and a apartment. Staying in NY is not an option.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and have a great day

Regards,
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 05:47 PM

661 posts, read 833,633 times
Go outside the city a bit and you can get places cheap, like Kuna. Now downtown Kuna I would expect is pretty unexciting. LOL

https://boise.craigslist.org/apa/d/2...274161596.html

Old 08-23-2017, 08:54 PM

100 posts, read 143,669 times
From what I have seen posted by people trying to rent while looking for homes, rentals aren't that easy to come by. There are a couple of threads on here about getting around without a car but it is not that easy. Western cities as a rule are more car oriented than eastern cities, although that is starting to change, but slowly.

What made you give up on AZ??? I was looking at your posts there and you were pretty much decided.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:26 PM

215 posts, read 258,772 times
I hate to say this but first thing is to find a home for your dog before leaving NY. You are not in a place to care for a dog and finding a rental or room for rent is much harder with a pet. Time to get real!

Here is one affordable option for housing but I don't know the rules of the hostel for length of stay.

Hostel Boise (A Country Place) -- Rates - HOSTEL BOISE

And I am not convinced Idaho is your best option for relocation.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:59 PM

64 posts, read 49,800 times
Thinking about doing the unthinkable if I can find the courage

Old 08-24-2017, 08:05 AM

355 posts, read 564,982 times
I hope doing the unthinkable means getting rid of your dog and not doing something dumb! You'll be fine in time.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:48 PM

819 posts, read 1,068,626 times
Boise is not a good city to live in without a car unless you enjoy riding your bicycle in snow or paying UBER a lot of money. We are known for a lot of things; however, great public transportation does not make the list!

We are finally building apartments near retail centers so people that are not making very large incomes can at least afford to live near their jobs.

When renting, keep in mind the potential utility costs. For example, a 50 year old 2 bedroom may sound like a great deal to rent per month, but if you are having to deal with a no A/C or a window unit, single pane windows, no insulation and baseboard heat, you are better off spending $100 more month on a newer unit.

Last edited by IdahoBroker; 08-25-2017 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: correcting typo's

Old 08-25-2017, 01:44 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
No car and a dog... how do you plan to travel? You can't take a dog on the train or greyhound bus. You can fly with the dog going as "accompanied baggage". If you shop carefully, that should not be too expensive. Be aware that not every flight has room for the dog, so don't buy a bargain non-refundable ticket and then find out after you have paid that there is no room for the dog. The dog will need a health cerficate and proof of rabies. You will need to buy an airline approved dog crate.

You haven't left yourself the time to locate a job before you move, which is the safest way to do it.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:53 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No car and a dog... how do you plan to travel? You can't take a dog on the train or greyhound bus. You can fly with the dog going as "accompanied baggage". If you shop carefully, that should not be too expensive. Be aware that not every flight has room for the dog, so don't buy a bargain non-refundable ticket and then find out after you have paid that there is no room for the dog. The dog will need a health cerficate and proof of rabies. You will need to buy an airline approved dog crate.

You haven't left yourself the time to locate a job before you move, which is the safest way to do it.
If you do end up flying, be sure to check the type of aircraft all legs of your trip use especially to smaller destinations. Depending on the type of aircraft the baggage holds are NOT pressurized or climate controlled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: