Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:46 PM

164 posts, read 225,898 times

Advertisements

Yikes, this stuff is scary for someone from Florida. My family here have been advising us to buy shovels, ice melt and so forth. I've been visiting the area for decades and until recently the winters have been mild, especially snow related. But last year was insane. Thanks everyone for your tips. Going shopping tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 04:23 PM

9 posts, read 8,144 times
I'm super excited.
What I need, differently than last winter are:
1) better shovel
2) roof rake
3) Better winter tires on my AWD car.
4) Studded tires for my 4x4 truck.
5) A longer recovery strap (for my truck).

Old 10-03-2017, 08:15 PM

236 posts, read 193,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Get your ice melt now. Be aware that some types will kill grass adjacent to walkways.

Buy covers for your outdoor spigots.

If you have a roof without a good pitch, get a snow rake or some other way to get heavy snow off.

Make sure you have shoes and boots with good traction. When the snow starts to melt then refreezes like it did last year it gets super slick.
For sure. And you might want to get that long extendable snow rake before winter because it sold out so fast last year. The prediction of a harsh snowy winter for 2017 is based on the Farmers Almanac and darn it if they arent usually right

Old 10-03-2017, 09:01 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,261,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesharona View Post
Again tonight on the news they are predicting another Mega Winter like last year. I guess I better go purchase a better snow shovel than the one I used last year. I am not looking forward to doing this again!
As long as we start things in mid November, I am board!

Old 10-04-2017, 12:46 PM

6,335 posts, read 7,689,196 times
From Accuweather:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...ecast/70002894

Quote:
US winter forecast: La Niña to fuel abundant snow in Rockies; Bitterly cold air to blast Midwest

[most of article snipped]

Abundant snowfall to bury Northwest, Rockies

With a weak La Niña predicted to develop this winter, the Northwest and the Rockies are set to receive an abundance of precipitation.

“I think the Bitterroot chain all the way down to the Wasatch region in the central and northern Rockies has a good shot to be above normal on snowfall this season,” Pastelok said.
Looks like it's gonna be like last winter.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-07-2017, 05:04 PM

813 posts, read 1,052,356 times
Three other suggestions to add to those so far:
1) Make sure you remove any garden hoses from exterior faucets now before a heavy freeze hits. When they are still attached, they can trap water that freezes and can crack your hose bibs. The newer hose bibs are "frost free" meaning they actually shut off a few feet back under your home, so many people don't realize their lines are frozen/cracked until they find water in their crawl space/basement!
2) Buy a good quality ice scraper for your car(s). Preferably one with a stiff brush on one end to help remove snow.
3) When we get blessed with a good snow, grab your skis or snow shoes and head for the hills! I find it funny when a "snow day" cancels schools since it supposed to be too hard or unsafe to get to school, the kids have no problems finding their way up 4,000 additional vertical feet and 16 miles from town to end up at Bogus Basin Ski Resort.

Another tip learned from Bogus Basin: If it is going to get really cold, consider lifting your wind shield wipers off your car window so they don't freeze to it and ruin your blades.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:51 PM

355 posts, read 561,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
Three other suggestions to add to those so far:
1) Make sure you remove any garden hoses from exterior faucets now before a heavy freeze hits. When they are still attached, they can trap water that freezes and can crack your hose bibs. The newer hose bibs are "frost free" meaning they actually shut off a few feet back under your home, so many people don't realize their lines are frozen/cracked until they find water in their crawl space/basement!
2) Buy a good quality ice scraper for your car(s). Preferably one with a stiff brush on one end to help remove snow.
3) When we get blessed with a good snow, grab your skis or snow shoes and head for the hills! I find it funny when a "snow day" cancels schools since it supposed to be too hard or unsafe to get to school, the kids have no problems finding their way up 4,000 additional vertical feet and 16 miles from town to end up at Bogus Basin Ski Resort.

Another tip learned from Bogus Basin: If it is going to get really cold, consider lifting your wind shield wipers off your car window so they don't freeze to it and ruin your blades.
Number 3 is too funny. Agreed.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:56 AM

164 posts, read 225,898 times
Thank for the garden hose tips, I was not thinking about that. And the wiper blade trick too!

Dart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area