U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,451 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Boise area two weeks from today, which would be 3-31-08. I'm a 28-year-old man with no wife, or kids, and recently split from my girlfriend. My job has transferred me up there from Austin, TX and I was curious how tough it is to meet new people. In Austin, the women are fairly easy to talk to, but it's a much more liberal town thatg Boise, I'm sure. Can it be a fun place for single twenty-somethings?

Also, between Nampa, Meridian, and Boise, which of the three would be my best bet to live? I'm loking at Meridian, personally. Any help here would be great! I'm a little freaked out at the thought of moving 1700 miles away and not knowing anyone at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 04:52 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,949,513 times
Depends on you.

People in the Northwest are somewhat notorious for their ambivalence, or outward coldness. It isn't that we're mean or bitter people, but more reserved (Seattle is especially notorious for this).

I have some friends from the South that were particularly taken aback by it, and misunderstood it for some time.

If you're outgoing and you take the initiative to meet people, no problems. But if you're the type that doesn't start the conversation, it might be hard. It's a small community, so everyone sort of knows each other. Most people I know who moved here met people either through work, school, neighbors, or through people they already knew here.

In re: where to live - if you want the vibrant Austin downtown scene, you won't find much of it in Boise. Meridian is nondescript, quiet, and suburban. There is a lot of chain and retail shopping there. Boise is the cultural lifeblood of the area, and is more unique and alive than Meridian. Nampa has its own feel that some people love and some people hate - a decent small town downtown and is affordable.

What type of things are you looking for?

Old 03-17-2008, 04:55 PM

93 posts, read 448,718 times
i moved to boise in my late twenties and found the people to be very friendly and welcoming. if you're into any outdoor activities like skiing or kyaking you'll have ample opportunity to meet good people.

if you're coming from austin i'm almost certain you'd be happiest in boise. meridian is more of a residential suburb (with related stores) home to lots of young families. nampa is going to be even more conservative than boise. if you're looking for an active night life and singles i'd go straight to boise.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:13 PM

3,097 posts, read 6,023,953 times
I've heard and read in articles Boise and Austin compared on certain aspects and done so positively. Austin is larger, but I think you will find Boise to be somewhat similar but on a smaller more intimate scale with enough differences to make living here a new experience. One thing you will have more of is the outdoors and the scene here is active and large.
Boise is full of outdoor gear shops and bike shops.
Downtown and the city has a mix of different places and avenues to meet like minded people and there are a lot of singles in their 20's and 30's in Boise.
If I were you I would try to find a place nearer downtown Boise or the Parkcenter area. There is a large college crowd here, but there is also a sizeable more mature populace of us 20's and 30's type people.
We get a lot of bands from Austin that will play clubs and venues downtown.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:17 PM

879 posts, read 2,673,191 times
It seemed in the early 2000s there was a decent amount of people moving from Austin to Boise when Austin boomed. They said Boise reminded them of past Austin. So obviously, these were people looking for a slower pace.

I could be wrong but based on my graduating class most are pregnant and/or married/engaged. I'm not saying this is a bad thing but still represents a small town mentality of marrying your high school sweetheart and having babies. Most people my age in California and other large cities don't want kids and if they do they're thinking early to mid-30s. I can almost guarantee if you meet someone they will likely be transplants too. Also all these young families will be in Meridian. I would discourage living in Meridian as a single person. Go anywhere and it feels like you're in a daycare.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:42 PM

1,378 posts, read 5,911,702 times
You'd probably like the convenience of Boise better, but if you lived in Meridian it's not like you couldn't drive to the downtown area to participate in any of the various activities. Meridian is only 15 to 25 minutes away from the city depending on where you live in Meridian. Not sure if you know that, but felt like it should be pointed out since I don't know how familiar you are with the area. If you're buying a house, there's some great deals in Meridian, not sure if that's in the plans or maybe that could be why you're looking at Meridian over Boise? More house for the money? Or maybe you're working in Meridian and want to live closer to where you work?

Either way I think you will find the people to be quite friendly and as long as you're somewhat outgoing you will meet people. Don't worry, just give yourself time to adjust and you should do fine. Best of luck and welcome!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:03 PM

8 posts, read 31,356 times
With your Texas accent, just head out to Cowgirls Saloon in Kuna one weekend and you will meet plenty of friendly people. The girls love to Texas swing there.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,605,639 times
single male... um.. I would suggest living near downtown or the bench area.. no further out than that..
there's a good singles crowd in boise, plus a university that is growing really fast. There's bike paths and all kinds of stuff to do. And you're a lot less likely to be surrounded by couples with 4 kids and cookie cutter houses.
Cowgirls saloon in kuna.. lol... that's a taxi fare I wouldn't pay for... try dirty little roddy's downtown.. the mechanical bull is fun to watch... as a gay man I can appreciate a drunk woman being flung to the ground from a bull... its entertaining.. and I'm sure its a lovely sight for a straight man... for a different reason.. lol

Old 03-22-2008, 05:04 AM

39 posts, read 335,739 times
Hey there I just moved to Boise myself and you should read some of my post to get the details. Really quick don't move to Nampa or Caldwell.(lots of gangs) Meridian is wonderful but if you don't have kids and a wife you might not like it. I live near downtown Boise and my little brother already has a new lil hottie girlfriend. It took him 3 weeks. There's so much outdoor stuff to do like skiing, hiking, dirt bikes, guns, white water rafting, as far as girls go they all come out on the weekend. Try 8th street and Main. Thats where my brother found his girlfriend she works at the Chicago Pizza place. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area