Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 12:12 PM

819 posts, read 1,068,278 times

Advertisements

As others have mentioned, it is tough when you don't live here. An employer might be concerned even if you love your job, you might get homesick and leave again, or that you are running away from something in Florida. Write a heart felt cover letter of why are you are moving to Idaho and why you want a job at the company you are applying for (is it just a job or do you like their culture, their growth, their innovation, etc.). Put yourself in the eyes of the HR Dept, does your resume make you stand out over the other dozens of resumes?

Two companies that are in the process of building brand new facilities you might consider are T Sheets and Paylocity.

Best of luck!
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 08:03 PM

52 posts, read 78,279 times
I moved to Boise from California in 1999 and after living here for a while I have learned that Boise is a small community and really it's about who you know not exactly qualifications you have . it's kind of a bummer but because of it being a smaller City a lot about getting a job it's connections at least in my experience good luck on your job hunt.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:16 PM

20,869 posts, read 9,532,948 times
When deciding to move from Seattle to the Midwest, I learned that you really have to actually *move* somewhere first before people start to seriously consider you (unless you have some really in-demand and rare skill, I suppose). I spent over a year sending out resumes to various places in the Midwest from my Seattle-area residence, but only got maybe one or two half-serious inquiries. At some point I realized that wasn't going to work and decided I had to pick a city and move there first. I decided on Kansas City, made a couple scouting trips while also sending out resumes to potential employers in the area. I *finally* got someone interested when I told them I was going to be in town on a trip to pick out an apartment. I interviewed them while on that trip and got the job.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:15 PM

1,950 posts, read 2,297,831 times
what if the Millennials discover Boise ?

Old 11-27-2017, 04:25 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
what if the Millennials discover Boise ?
They have to some extent. Seems like some of the young locals who grew up here head off to the "big city" for job opportunities because the same age group moves in from out of state and takes the jobs from the young locals. There is a link I have posted before that shows the largest age group moving into Boise are in their 20's. The 20 somethings make up one of the largest age groups in the city and valley. Boise is a youthful city.

The Millennial tribe is pretty evident in Boise and more are going to be able to live in downtown because of new apartment buildings under construction that are supposed to be more affordable. Tech jobs are also expanding in the area including downtown and I know one of them in particular is hiring a fair amount of "M"s.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:10 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
They have to some extent. Seems like some of the young locals who grew up here head off to the "big city" for job opportunities because the same age group moves in from out of state and takes the jobs from the young locals. There is a link I have posted before that shows the largest age group moving into Boise are in their 20's. The 20 somethings make up one of the largest age groups in the city and valley. Boise is a youthful city.

The Millennial tribe is pretty evident in Boise and more are going to be able to live in downtown because of new apartment buildings under construction that are supposed to be more affordable. Tech jobs are also expanding in the area including downtown and I know one of them in particular is hiring a fair amount of "M"s.
Don't worry, of those of us who left during the great recession, many of us are returning or are planing to return. I even knew a girl in college who grew up in Socal, did college in Dallas and moved to Boise after college.

In a lot of ways "Brain Drain" can be good for an area. For many people I've met I'm the first Idahoan they have ever met, and don't know much about the area. I knew a few people that vacationed in the area because I told them about it. Also, some people who leave for bigger job markets come back and bring skills with them that enrich the local job force which is what I hope to do.

I mean how else am I supposed to be able to buy my Northend dream home if not with Texas money?

Old 11-28-2017, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,125 times
I’m a millennial also that fell in love with Boise after really checking it out once during July and also in October. I’ve been trying to land a job there since July, but have not seen many openings. I’m a healthcare professional and my field is usually in high demand, so it has been a little frustrating that I haven’t had any luck yet. Still holding out for an opening there though, because it has a lot going for it. I’ve visited several other areas (Bend, Flagstaff, Fort Collins, etc) and Boise is by far the coolest. Like @TreasureValley92, I agree that the Northend is probably the quaintest neighborhood I’ve seen. A lot of Mid Century good architecture in other neighborhoods too. Way better architecture than the other areas I previously mentioned, better cost of living, fewer people with access to the Sawtooths and Sun Valley. What else could you want?

Old 11-28-2017, 01:50 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
For what it's worth, Boise seems too small and too remote for me. Phoenix (where I live) is also relatively remote, but LA and San Diego are only a 6 hr drive west and Las Vegas even closer.

It's kind of interesting to read where people who've left CA for greener pastures often think back on things they miss about CA--it's understandable--that's why the state is so crowded and expensive.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:24 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
For what it's worth, Boise seems too small and too remote for me. Phoenix (where I live) is also relatively remote, but LA and San Diego are only a 6 hr drive west and Las Vegas even closer.

It's kind of interesting to read where people who've left CA for greener pastures often think back on things they miss about CA--it's understandable--that's why the state is so crowded and expensive.
Cities in the Intermountain West tend to be remote. SLC is remote, Denver is remote, etc.

Portland is typically in the range of a 6 to 7 hour drive away, SLC around 5 give or take (and granted it isn't the most exciting city to go visit when compared to Portland, LA and San Diego lol), so if someone's idea of fun is to go to other cities you have a drive ahead of you. If you are a person who loves the outdoors, world class recreation, exploring Idaho and driving to small mountain towns, Boise is the center of the universe. I think that is the draw people have to Boise. Regarding city stuff, Boise and the metro has grown so much recently and I would say Boise punches above its weight with amenities.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 11-28-2017 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-03-2017, 09:42 AM

298 posts, read 565,371 times
I love Boise, but it’s mainly for retirees. Portland is my favorite city, but it’s expensive now. Work in Seattle and live in North end Tacoma, or see if there are jobs in Tacoma or Olympia. You will love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area