Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 10:16 PM

169 posts, read 198,684 times

Advertisements

Very Frustrated!
I am having trouble finding/choosing an agent to sell my house. They are the worst.
It’s not because I want to sell it for a high price— I want to price it competitively as in less than some are recommending, at a price that others say will sell quickly.
The property itself is very nice, downtown and great condition. I want to sell it empty and clean. So am I a difficult seller? Yes! Because I don’t want to let a bunch of morons play house beautiful on my dime!
“Make your wood floors a dark color becaus I like dark colors”
“Hire an ‘arborist’ to make your tree look like a panda” etc
And all of them “have the entire house top to bottom painted taupe”
No. I happen to like the distinct in my opinion lovely light colors my interior is painted. I was influenced by colonial interiors. I think it will look nice in photos.
The worst is ones who want me to pay 1,700 per month one staging. I refuse as a matter of principle. Stagers shouldn’t exist. This is a useless non-profession. Also, I don’t want to deceive buyers in to having an “emotional” response to my house. It’s a nice place in excellent condition that would make sense for someone looking for what it is in that location. I want someone rationally buying it because it meets their needs and they’ll be happy with it, not because a “stager” festooned it with scarves and put on jazz music and baked cookies.
Will I ever sell it? Find an agent who doesn’t annoy me? I don’t have time to FSBO and lack the experience and business knwo-how to feel confident. Boise is a small city, it shouldn’t be that hard. Why are there so many agents in the Treasure Valley and why do they all seem the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 12:36 AM

3 posts, read 5,988 times
I’m surprised! Places in Boise are selling like hot cakes so why would these said agents want to make unnecessary changes?

Old 02-13-2018, 03:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,904 times
Despite a market with less than one month inventory - most agents expect top dollar with a quick sale and your home needs to stand out from the available listings, which requires the right mix of location, popular floor plans/finishes, and yes, staging/professional photos. Fixer uppers in most areas (priced right) will sell in less than a week, too.

But, mediocre listings (even some with staging and photos) will become stale past the 30 day mark and develop a stigma, causing potential buyers to wonder what's wrong with your place. Even with what might have been a competitive asking price in the first place. Note that most buyers expect you to compete with those top listings (where there is a sense of urgency to not miss out) or they'll feel license to "wait and see" if you drop the price, maybe even offer less than asking. Not surprisingly, most agents dislike being in this category, because of the perceived poor reflection on their sales ability by clients and peers, alike.

[mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 02-13-2018 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: advertising services not permitted per the T.O.S.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:19 AM

347 posts, read 402,330 times
my agent stages all of her listings herself and doesn't charge for it

we used her to sell a house and they never asked us to change anything (floors, paint, etc.)

let me know if you need her contact info

Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 AM

Brieana,
I know! What bothers me is it doesn’t seem to be about selling the house. I feel like these are just dumb people missing the point who suffer from some kind of orthorexia. Houses must be taupe! Staging is a real profession! So delusional.
X-y=z where z is my profit and y are my expenses— they don’t seem to get algebra 1.
But it’s not cost. It truely is principle for me. I will not hire an agent who wants me to paint my living room taupe or pay for staging on principle. I don’t even like taupe.
Very kind of you Azaela for the offer..
The thing is my house isn’t mediocre in that I live in a remodeled house downtown with a three car garage. Hard to find. But I really believe that many realtors are just making people do dumb things because they are less business professionals than oddballs who want to play doll house.many seem very rigid...has anyone fsbo?
It’s sounds too hard for me. I’m not expecting to find an agent who is actually worth 6%, throwing money away I don’t mind. Just one who for $25k doesn’t annoy me so much and make me do things that I think will make my house look worse.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 AM

Succinctly, here is what I’m trying to say. All realtors will repeat the same talking points but I really wonder if their push to make evryhouse look taupe, staged, and designer, isn’t more about them wanting to sell houses that look like that than a serious number crunching of buyers best interest. Does anyone get what I’m saying?

Old 02-13-2018, 09:06 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
All I can say is to keep interviewing agents until you find one you like.

I don't think staging is necessary. Completely empty sells just fine. If your stuff is still in the house, you can stage with your own stuff... which is basically remove all clutter and it usually means to cut down on the amount of furniture.

I can't tell you about the paint without seeing your paint. My opinion is that darker colors appeal to fewer people and most houses look chopped up if every room is a different color. But in a really tight market, "bad color" won't slow down your sale by much.

Of the things that are under your control, sparkling clean is the most important, and that also applies to your yard. The other thing that is under your control is price. Are these agents you aren't happy with close on the price?

The most important stuff, location, floorplan, neighbors, you have no control over. So concentrate on clean. Nobody wants to have to deep clean before they can move in and many (probably most) buyers, even in a tight market, will shy away from a serious cleaning job.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:28 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
I found an agent who said to do nothing when it comes to paint or carpet. She said new buyers almost always repaint to suit themselves, and often re-carpet, so painting was just wasted expense and effort.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:39 AM

I have no dark colors. Very light colors that I think look nice. I think their colors will look worse.
I won’t be living in the house when it’s for sale. Of course I was planning on having it professionally cleaned.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:54 AM

355 posts, read 564,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I found an agent who said to do nothing when it comes to paint or carpet. She said new buyers almost always repaint to suit themselves, and often re-carpet, so painting was just wasted expense and effort.
So true. When we sold our last house, we had it painted inside and out. We didn't go with crazy colors, but very tame, yet popular colors. It was painted in a very similar fashion to the way we liked it and the way most of our neighbors had their houses painted.

The new buyers came in and painted all of the interior white. Oh well, you can't please them all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area