Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 02:31 PM

32 posts, read 50,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Richards View Post
This board frequently contains anti-California "xenophobia," but luckily it is not, in my experience, representative of the population. So, those looking to move to the Boise area, don't be dissuaded - the majortiy of native and newcomer Idahoans are welcoming people.
Sorry, I beg to differ. I left Boise shortly after moving there and took my doctor husband with me. To me, the men were 'meh' and the women were very friendly.

My experience was COMPLETELY different from what some are saying on this forum. Sorry, but it's not nearly as nice as it's made out to be and definitely not worth the price tag.

Bye Felicia!

Old 03-28-2018, 02:37 PM

347 posts, read 401,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Turmoil View Post

Bye Felicia!
Bye!

(the VAST majority of Idahoans are very welcoming and friendly, IMO)

Old 03-28-2018, 02:40 PM

32 posts, read 50,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Bye!

(the VAST majority of Idahoans are very welcoming and friendly, IMO)
Not my experience nor my husbands; nor several others I've communicated with on this forum.

Glad it's worked out for you, it just wasn't our cup of tea. More power to ya buddy.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:43 PM

347 posts, read 401,885 times
Quote:
Not my experience nor my husbands; nor several others I've communicated with on this forum.

Glad it's worked out for you, it just wasn't our cup of tea. More power to ya buddy.
worked out great, planning to retire here too!

maybe you guys were hanging out with the wrong crowd - all of the physicians at my golf club love it here

Old 03-29-2018, 09:09 AM

661 posts, read 832,364 times
Not worth the price tag, may I ask where you're from? To us it seems like they are giving the houses away in Boise. A down payment in West Los Angeles is the cost of the entire home in Boise.

Quote:
Sorry, but it's not nearly as nice as it's made out to be and definitely not worth the price tag.

Bye Felicia!

Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 AM

21 posts, read 27,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
Not worth the price tag, may I ask where you're from? To us it seems like they are giving the houses away in Boise. A down payment in West Los Angeles is the cost of the entire home in Boise.
Coming from a place where wages are in the six figures and homes are over $500k and likely in the seven figures, sure.

You have to realize that the median household wage in the Boise area is something like $50k. When the average home in Boise is $300k, that doesn't compute.

Therein lies the problem - people who move to Boise and bring large equity stash, or who work remotely and retain their California wages, create intense affordability pressure on the 98% of locals who are earning local wages and can't afford to buy in the region (even if selling an existing home). This is turn creates the sort of lifestyle conditions that most people coming to Boise are looking to run away from - endless sprawl, congested traffic, gentrification, government sponsored affordability programs, etc.

The reason Boise's housing supply is so low is that people here can't afford to put their homes on the market, because even though they stand to make a lot of money from their homes, they lose that benefit trying to buy again in that same market.

In our particular situation, we bought our last home in 2011. We paid $200k. We owe $175k now. It is likely worth $300k right now. That leaves us $100k to bring into our new home. To keep us at the same payment, that effectively means we can buy a $300k house, which is where we're at anyway, and certainly doesn't get us in a nicer house or location. So why sell?

So the only people selling are those moving away or flipping. Which is why inventory is so low. Can't rely entirely on new homes.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:29 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Not everyone moving to Boise is from out of state, many move to Boise from other areas of Idaho and buy homes. It really isn't that difficult to afford a home here if you are married or have a domestic partner and both make an income, or single and have a good paying job here which is the case for many people as well.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:50 AM

21 posts, read 27,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Not everyone moving to Boise is from out of state, many move to Boise from other areas of Idaho and buy homes. It really isn't that difficult to afford a home here if you are married or have a domestic partner and both make an income, or single and have a good paying job here which is the case for many people as well.
Well, the data doesn't necessarily bear that out, nor does the recent coverage on housing affordability here.

Keep in mind, the median household wage is $55k. The income per capita is $28k. Based on that salary range, less-than-average debt and higher-than-average down payment, that is still less than a $200k house.

That's what the data says, not one's own personal experience or opinions.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:10 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingParadise View Post
Well, the data doesn't necessarily bear that out, nor does the recent coverage on housing affordability here.

Keep in mind, the median household wage is $55k. The income per capita is $28k. Based on that salary range, less-than-average debt and higher-than-average down payment, that is still less than a $200k house.

That's what the data says, not one's own personal experience or opinions.
Yes Sir!!!
Personal experience doesn't mean anything

Old 03-29-2018, 02:16 PM

134 posts, read 177,779 times
I understand everyone’s situation is different. I will only be commuting to the airport then back “home” once per week. Although I’d rather not have to drive an hour to get to the airport I’d probably consider it. I personally will be searching for empty land (1.5-5 acres) to throw a smaller manufactured home on. I’m more interested in having elbow room to build a shop (60x80). It’s just me so I don’t want a big home. We’ll see what happens when the time comes. It’ll be at least a year before I start seriously searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area