Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:47 PM

131 posts, read 197,502 times

Advertisements

I have relatives considering relocating to Middleton, which I’ve heard it is heavily Mormon. The relatives are not religious people, and really have nothing against Mormons, or any other faith for that matter, just don’t want to feel awkward around them, as they do drink alcohol and coffee, and other things people of that faith typically avoid, and wouldn’t want to have to worry about offending their neighbors.

Thoughts/stats/feedback please.

Thank you.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:58 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Since you aren't moving there yourself, I can't suggest that you take some vacation time there and see how you like the area. But just because you don't think you would enjoy living near Mormons, that has no effect on how much your relatives will feel about living there.

I've never had a Mormon go into shock or have a temper tantrum because I had a cup of coffee. They just drink whatever they prefer and we go right along with whatever we were doing before drinks were served.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:49 AM

424 posts, read 579,751 times
Seems that someone has little or no knowledge of Mormons, they are just like everyone else, just have different ideas than some. I am not Mormon and I would rather live in a neighborhood that has a high number of Mormons in it (which I do) and if I didn't know them I would have no idea what religion they are. No I didn't ask them nor did they broach the subject, it just came up in casual conversations.

Yes we do converse with our neighbors.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Since you aren't moving there yourself, I can't suggest that you take some vacation time there and see how you like the area. But just because you don't think you would enjoy living near Mormons, that has no effect on how much your relatives will feel about living there.

I've never had a Mormon go into shock or have a temper tantrum because I had a cup of coffee. They just drink whatever they prefer and we go right along with whatever we were doing before drinks were served.
Oregonwoodsmoke, I never said I had a problem living next to or being friends with Mormons, it’s the relatives who are asking the question. I’ve had friends and neighbors of that faith, and I don’t think anything about it. I’m not familiar with Middleton, just trying to help the folks do research.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:47 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbsgrrl View Post
Oregonwoodsmoke, I never said I had a problem living next to or being friends with Mormons, it’s the relatives who are asking the question. I’ve had friends and neighbors of that faith, and I don’t think anything about it. I’m not familiar with Middleton, just trying to help the folks do research.
Exactly....you asked for help, not snide commentary. I'll try to be more helpful than that, though I've never been to Middleton.

If you go to the City-Data.com site and find Middleton's page, you'll see that Middleton is not heavily religious and that it's Mormon population is only about 16%. I wouldn't expect your relatives would have any problem in that regard.

The Mormons that I have worked with in corporate office settings have generally been great people and easy to get along with. Religion didn't even come up.

I think Middleton's pros outweigh any potential cons. The challenge today is chasing real estate costs as they spiral upward.

Best of luck.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:16 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbsgrrl View Post
I have relatives considering relocating to Middleton, which I’ve heard it is heavily Mormon. The relatives are not religious people, and really have nothing against Mormons, or any other faith for that matter, just don’t want to feel awkward around them, as they do drink alcohol and coffee, and other things people of that faith typically avoid, and wouldn’t want to have to worry about offending their neighbors.

Thoughts/stats/feedback please.

Thank you.
As long as your relatives don't make a big rowdy scene, with drunks fighting it out in the streets, they'll be just fine.

Mormons know other folks drink alcohol and coffee, and as long as the beverages don't disturb the neighborhood, they won't care a lick what your relatives do.

The won't feel awkward around them, either. Your relatives will probably find any Mormon neighbor will introduce themselves, be normally sociable, and won't even ask about your relative's religion. They certainly wan't take offense at anything unless it's something that would offend you or someone who isn't LDS.

Any awkwardness will more likely come from your relatives than their neighbors. They sure don't want to start cussing the LDS religion or bad-mouthing it, but that's about all that may offend a Mormon they just met.

The church is long-established out here, so it's a lot like how it is in a heavily Catholic or Baptist area somewhere else. Some of them may be prudes, some may be snoops, or gossips, or whatever, but the Mormons are just like everyone else in most things almost all the time. They live and let live quite well.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Exactly....you asked for help, not snide commentary. I'll try to be more helpful than that, though I've never been to Middleton.

If you go to the City-Data.com site and find Middleton's page, you'll see that Middleton is not heavily religious and that it's Mormon population is only about 16%. I wouldn't expect your relatives would have any problem in that regard.

The Mormons that I have worked with in corporate office settings have generally been great people and easy to get along with. Religion didn't even come up.

I think Middleton's pros outweigh any potential cons. The challenge today is chasing real estate costs as they spiral upward.

Best of luck.
Thanks CrownVic95 - very helpful info. And you’re absolutely right, the real estate prices are pushing the search further out, and Middleton seems to keep popping up. They were just concerned about fitting into the area. They are not a bunch of rowdy drunks, rather retirees who are looking for a quiet nice place to live.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
As long as your relatives don't make a big rowdy scene, with drunks fighting it out in the streets, they'll be just fine.

Mormons know other folks drink alcohol and coffee, and as long as the beverages don't disturb the neighborhood, they won't care a lick what your relatives do.

The won't feel awkward around them, either. Your relatives will probably find any Mormon neighbor will introduce themselves, be normally sociable, and won't even ask about your relative's religion. They certainly wan't take offense at anything unless it's something that would offend you or someone who isn't LDS.

Any awkwardness will more likely come from your relatives than their neighbors. They sure don't want to start cussing the LDS religion or bad-mouthing it, but that's about all that may offend a Mormon they just met.

The church is long-established out here, so it's a lot like how it is in a heavily Catholic or Baptist area somewhere else. Some of them may be prudes, some may be snoops, or gossips, or whatever, but the Mormons are just like everyone else in most things almost all the time. They live and let live quite well.
Thanks Banjomike - not a bunch of rowdy’s, just a couple of nice retirees who want to make sure they fit into any new community they end up in. They are planning a trip into the area to check it out.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:18 AM

28 posts, read 39,985 times
I'm Mormon, and I still attend parties and events where people are drinking and smoking. Don't bother me, may bother some but they would just wait till the cigarettes are out before walking over to say hello.

People don't seem to understand that it's not a sin, it's just not considered wise. We don't judge. Everyone is entitled to their choice. We are supposed to love all our neighbors, and offer service and support to everyone, so I would not worry about having Mormon neighbors. I would consider it a benefit. If you have been treated poorly by any Mormons, they are not following our articles of faith.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray59 View Post
I'm Mormon, and I still attend parties and events where people are drinking and smoking. Don't bother me, may bother some but they would just wait till the cigarettes are out before walking over to say hello.

People don't seem to understand that it's not a sin, it's just not considered wise. We don't judge. Everyone is entitled to their choice. We are supposed to love all our neighbors, and offer service and support to everyone, so I would not worry about having Mormon neighbors. I would consider it a benefit. If you have been treated poorly by any Mormons, they are not following our articles of faith.
Thanks for your insight Pray59, very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area