Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 08:14 AM

18 posts, read 24,298 times

Advertisements

I've heard nothing but great things about the Boise region but I would have to think there are at least a couple of places that are sketchy, just like other cities in the country.

So what locations would you say to one needs to be cautions of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 09:21 AM

252 posts, read 297,911 times
If you define sketchy by big city terms, we probably dont have any areas like that.

Sketchy by Boise's terms MIGHT be the couple block section south of the connector.....maybe some areas of Garden City.....maybe a few streets around State and Glenwood???

ALL of those places though I feel completely safe at night though.........

Hopefully that doesnt change with our huge growth as of late.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:52 AM

77 posts, read 271,925 times
I have visited every part of the Boise area at all hours of the day and night. The only area which may be slightly dicey would be the area around Americana Blvd. under the Connector. But that is a small area out of the large Boise area which stretches from East Boise to Ontario Oregon.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:49 PM

16 posts, read 15,357 times
It is pretty much like a lot of the fairly affluent mid to smallish cities I've been to: there are some sketchy areas, but they are kind of tucked away and you probably wouldn't happen upon them.

The area around Malad St. and Shoshone St. can be pretty sketchy (near Vista). When I went there, there were some unsavory characters in the area and they didn't seem to like that we were well-off minorities.

Same vibe in some places in Garden City.

I've heard of people getting jumped on the Greenbelt, but obviously if you use your head and don't wander around at night, I'd imagine you'd be okay.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:40 PM

127 posts, read 140,736 times
Around Rhodes park

Old 05-30-2018, 03:31 PM

661 posts, read 833,210 times
Caldwell and Nampa have some odd areas you might be better off not entering.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:58 PM

97 posts, read 120,558 times
I moved here from Texas a year ago and love it. Anything considered "sketchy" by Boise standards is nothing by Houston standards. There are rarely any murders, car-jacking's, kidnappings, or other hardcore crimes here. In many areas those are so frequent they barely make the news. Maybe there are a few areas downtown or in Garden City I would lock my doors and keep an eye out behind me but it's really such a safe city it's laughable by most big-city standards. Unlike Seattle, Portland and most of California we do not have tons of homeless and drug addicts and meth-heads. Lets Keep It That Way!

Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 AM

347 posts, read 402,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_S View Post
I moved here from Texas a year ago and love it. Anything considered "sketchy" by Boise standards is nothing by Houston standards.
ditto!

Old 05-31-2018, 03:35 PM

37 posts, read 41,850 times
I lived in the part of Caldwell that the police called a "target area" for 5 years, and now I live in urban Nampa. I have never really felt unsafe in either location - same goes for Boise. I wouldn't really be that worried walking through even the "sketchiest" parts of Boise at night, as long as I minded my own business. To be fair, I am a white male with no money (and I look like I don't have any money too), so I wouldn't be a target for most "sketchy" types anyway.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:54 AM

77 posts, read 271,925 times
This is a reliable up to date site to find out about crime / unsafe areas:
https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Boise-Idaho/crime/

Looks like the hot areas are around downtown and parts of Meridian. Most everywhere else is green and safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area