Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 4,941 times

Advertisements

The town I grew up in in Texas has grown 20x since I was born - which really affects the sense of community.

I fell in love with Idaho based off of what I saw in the 80's - my favorite part of Idaho is that most of it is relatively unostentatious.

I apologize if this is an irritating inquiry - I understand - but would you say there are parts of the Treasure Valley that are slower-growing?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 03:05 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,759 times
Are you thinking Ada County--Boise/Meridian/Eagle/Kuna or Canyon County--Nampa/Caldwell/etc? How far from Boise city center are you thinking?

There are lots of surrounding communities that are within an hour of Boise that are slower growing. There are slower growing parts of Ada County, too.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:31 PM

My work will be at I-84 off exit 44 (Meridian Blvd), so ideally I would like to be within 45 minutes of there (since I only have to go on Mondays, otherwise I work from home).

I am completely open to Canyon County as long as I am not under the shadow of a landfill or sugar beet factory - I am 3/3 so far on buying houses next to landfills

Old 11-30-2018, 07:15 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyWellington View Post
My work will be at I-84 off exit 44 (Meridian Blvd), so ideally I would like to be within 45 minutes of there (since I only have to go on Mondays, otherwise I work from home).

I am completely open to Canyon County as long as I am not under the shadow of a landfill or sugar beet factory - I am 3/3 so far on buying houses next to landfills
Yikes!
That must have taken some doing!

There's still a lot of small towns in the surrounding Treasure Valley. Kuna, Greenleaf, Wilder, Emmett, New Plymouth, Marsing and others. As you would expect, the farther away they are, the more they have a small-town atmosphere. Most, but not all, of that list is within Canyon county.

They all differ, so the only way you would ever know which might be the best fit for you would be to come and visit and spend a bit of time in them. I-84 tends to logjam, but it's not like the big commuter jams in California yet.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:49 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,759 times
Yes, there are plenty of small towns with easy access for you for work--Parma, Wilder, Caldwell, Nampa, Marsing, Fruitland, Emmett, etc etc etc

I'd encourage you to also think about some established Boise neighborhoods that are already "filled in." I live on the Bench and am pretty much immune to all of the growth in my day to day life. Work takes me all over the valley so I see the growth and the areas most impacted are those that are in the path/adjacent to new construction. So, if you live between areas of new growth and a city, you'll be in that pathway and experience growing traffic, overcrowded schools, etc. If you live well within the established city limits, you won't notice the same sort of impact--the growth happens beyond you and what you see is what you get, if that makes sense.

If you are in Boise, your commute to Meridian will be opposite of the masses so your traffic won't be bad. Neighborhoods like Randolph/Robertson on the bench will put you close to lots and give you a nice, traditional neighborhood feel--small town in the big city. Just a thought!

Old 12-02-2018, 07:48 PM

Benchfan - I hadn't thought of that, definitely makes sense!
Thank you

Old 12-02-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortonSouth View Post
Your question is confusing to say the least, and not irritating, but a bit offensive. Most, if not all of your inquiry, is very subjective and left for interpretation.

Where are the most Idahoans? -- I wasn't born here but have lived here for 27 years -- does that make me an Idahoan? Even if you mean folks who were born here, how can anyone know where most of them live without knowing them all?

Unostentatious? -- Webster defines "ostentatious" as characterized by vulgar or pretentious display; designed to impress or attract notice. synonyms: showy, pretentious, conspicuous, flamboyant, gaudy, brash, vulgar, loud, extravagant, fancy, ornate, overelaborate, flashy, splashy, fancy-pants, over the top, glitzy, ritzy -- "an ostentatious display of wealth." There might be a few homes in Treasure Valley that are like that, but they'd be the exception, not the rule. Are you sure you don't mean "expensive" homes/areas/parts of Treasure Valley?

Slower Growing? -- your question implies that Idahoans (whatever that is?) live in slower-growing parts of Treasure Valley with no gaudy display of wealth, and that other folks who aren't real Idahoans live in hoity-toity pretentious homes/communities. Not all fast growth equates to "ostentatious." I live in a growing area of Boise -- homes here are $400k and up, but not a single one of them could be called ostentatious. Not one.

You can choose to be an Idahoan - just know most Idahoans are fairly laid-back, and that's what I am looking for.
The intent of the question was to filter the high-strung people out

Thanks

Old 12-04-2018, 07:41 PM

17 posts, read 25,650 times
Don't forget Middleton and Star. If I had it to do over again, I would have looked more closely at these two gems. Semi- rural, small towns with open spaces. Definitely worth a look.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyWellington View Post
You can choose to be an Idahoan - just know most Idahoans are fairly laid-back, and that's what I am looking for.
The intent of the question was to filter the high-strung people out

Thanks
Oh brother, just when I thought I'd heard everything.

Idahoans are people to live in Idaho, so yes, you can choose to be an Idahoan by choosing to move here and establishing residence in the state, and staying long enough that you'll need to get Idaho license plates for your car, file an Idaho income tax return, etc. You cannot WILL yourself to be an Idahoan -- if you live in Texas you'll have to move here before you'll be an Idahoan. No, most Idahoans are not laid-back -- you cannot stereotype an Idahoan; they come in every size, shape and personality type. Besides, how do you know that -- any facts/statistics you can cite?

"Laid-back" folks and "high-strung" folks don't have special/separate enclaves where they live in Treasure Valley; they're everywhere. Everywhere. There's no voluntary or mandatory segregation of personality types in Treasure Valley.

Please do us a favor and ask a local real estate professional where all the laid-back folks and all the high-strung folks live in Treasure Valley, then come back and share it.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 PM

131 posts, read 144,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebuyer View Post
Don't forget Middleton and Star. If I had it to do over again, I would have looked more closely at these two gems. Semi- rural, small towns with open spaces. Definitely worth a look.
same but housing seems more limited making finding a place more difficult
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area