Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 9,349 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating from CA to Boise to be closer to family and to enjoy a lower cost of living in a state we have both spent a lot of time in and that we really enjoy. We visited Boise recently to look around more seriously (since we've spent less time there than in other parts of the state) and both came away with a very positive impression. My concern, though, is that the job scene will make it hard for my husband to find something. He works in a niche area of tech and it looks like there just aren't many tech companies in Boise. He has also previously worked in IT for universities, but I'm not sure if there would be anything available at BSU or anywhere else nearby. Can anyone comment on the strength of the tech scene that Boise does have (including Micron and HP)? I've heard people say that those two companies in particular might be poised for more layoffs rather than more growth. I'd be concerned if people have a pessimistic outlook for tech in the region, but it would be very encouraging to hear the opposite.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 05:05 PM

661 posts, read 833,633 times
I don't know any specifics about the IT job market, you could try looking at job boards like monster and indeed to get a feel for the market and current job postings. Boise is not San Francisco or the Silicon valley but it is growing in that regard, a lot of movement out to Boise from CA. I would expect the job market for IT job market just gets a little better with each passing year.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:03 AM

77 posts, read 271,981 times
All of my IT friends have more than enough work here. However, the pay may be as much as half of what an IT worker could make in California.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:53 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Boise actually has an impressive amount of tech companies in addition to the two large companies that most people know of. There is a growing tech hub downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcca2018 View Post
He works in a niche area of tech and it looks like there just aren't many tech companies in Boise.
Thank you!
Quote:
The 25 most innovative cities in US share affinity for technology
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...s-us/38330651/

Boise City is the capital of Idaho and the state's most populous city. Boise has more than 3,000 high-tech employers, according to Brookings Institution

Old 12-17-2018, 10:07 AM

347 posts, read 402,330 times
have you spoken with an IT headhunting firm like apex? we have several here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area