Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 08:54 AM

21 posts, read 63,113 times

Advertisements

We are looking at building in either Meridian or Eagle, but we've never lived in that climate. I'd love to grow a vegetable garden in the backyard and I'm wondering what would be the best kind of lot for us? Which way should our house face? I've read South facing is good for melting snow. But maybe I should be east/west facing for better sunlight? Let me know if you have any insight. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 11:08 AM

213 posts, read 343,222 times
We lived in a rental that had the driveway facing east and the backyard facing west. Snow melted decently, but it was a little rough with so much sunshine at the back of the house. You could just feel the heat radiating there. The backyard did fine. Most of the front yard was north facing and I didn't try to grow anything.

Now I live with a north facing driveway and full south backyard. Surprisingly, it's been cooler overall because the neighbors west of us lined the fence with trees that are at least 50 feet tall. So we get to skip a few hours of more heat in the summer afternoons and evenings. We also have a couple BIG trees on the east side of our house, so we don't warm up the house too early in the summer either. Plenty of sunshine in the south facing backyard for a garden and more.

As for the snow in the north facing driveway, yes, I have to do a little more shoveling than my neighbors, but as long as you get to it as soon as the snow is done falling, it's really not a big deal.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:13 PM

Thank you! It is really helpful to hear from someone who has experienced a couple of different orientations. I think I'm leaning towards a north/south direction. I want a lot of windows in the house, so I don't think I'd want to face east because of the hot sun that would hit the back of the house. Do you think it's all the same between north facing and south facing as far as a backyard garden goes?

Old 04-28-2019, 02:05 PM

213 posts, read 343,222 times
If you have a north facing backyard, you will simply have less full sun spots. You would probably lose a good 10 feet from the north side of the house due to shade. If you're talking acreage, not really a big deal at all.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:08 AM

122 posts, read 225,038 times
Your house ideally should face south, but your main point was about your garden.

Depending on how large your backyard is and the obstruction height surrounding it will be the determining factor. We have an unobstructed 1/3 acre backyard and could plant a garden virtually anywhere in it if desired once we get about 15 feet (morning shadow) away from the back of the house.

Hope this helps,

JR

Old 05-01-2019, 10:24 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
They don't get much snow in Eagle, Boise or Meridian do they?

Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 AM

623 posts, read 1,612,465 times
Our house faces west with our living spaces to the east. We get morning sun and evening shade which is perfect. We have veggies in the side yard which is south facing and gets a ton of sun. Afternoon sun melts the driveway when it does snow (which is not that often, but still it's nice). I love an east-facing back yard. In a new neighborhood without mature trees even a north-facing yard will get a lot of evening western sun from the side.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:44 AM

Well...I'm coming from Las Vegas, so any amount of snow is snow to me

Old 05-01-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGHTONSC View Post
Your house ideally should face south, but your main point was about your garden.

Depending on how large your backyard is and the obstruction height surrounding it will be the determining factor. We have an unobstructed 1/3 acre backyard and could plant a garden virtually anywhere in it if desired once we get about 15 feet (morning shadow) away from the back of the house.

Hope this helps,

JR
Thanks for your input! Makes sense about it depending on obstruction height. Curious about your reasons for saying "your house ideally should face south."

Old 05-01-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchfan View Post
Our house faces west with our living spaces to the east. We get morning sun and evening shade which is perfect. We have veggies in the side yard which is south facing and gets a ton of sun. Afternoon sun melts the driveway when it does snow (which is not that often, but still it's nice). I love an east-facing back yard. In a new neighborhood without mature trees even a north-facing yard will get a lot of evening western sun from the side.
Thanks! That is helpful. I think west facing would work well for us as well. I was also leaning towards north facing (so that I can have lots of south sunshine in the backyard), but then there was the comment about an ideal house should face south... Maybe I'm overthinking it and can make anything work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: