Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 04:59 PM

1,238 posts, read 820,537 times

Advertisements

I saw swarms of grasshopper-like insects on thr trail up to Lucky Peak back in May. Thought they might be Mormon crickets. They were only in a few spots, but literally covered the ground in those spots.

Boise does have mosquitoes. But fewer than the Midwest or East, and I don't recall biting gnats or other nasties. Can't compare with California, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 07:18 PM

73 posts, read 93,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
I saw swarms of grasshopper-like insects on thr trail up to Lucky Peak back in May. Thought they might be Mormon crickets. They were only in a few spots, but literally covered the ground in those spots.

Boise does have mosquitoes. But fewer than the Midwest or East, and I don't recall biting gnats or other nasties. Can't compare with California, though.
Are there really yellow jackets? Have they stung you? I am scared of them because of their sting. But is it as painful as fire ants?

What are gnats? I have never seen them in my eyes before. Are yellow jackets like bees that sting?

Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 PM

1,238 posts, read 820,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008user View Post
Are there really yellow jackets? Have they stung you? I am scared of them because of their sting. But is it as painful as fire ants?

What are gnats? I have never seen them in my eyes before. Are yellow jackets like bees that sting?
Yes, yellow jackets are like bees, and they do sting but typically only if provoked. I'm surprised you don't have them in Cali.

This year the Midwest (Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota) has been inflicted with terrible biting gnats, worse than I've ever experienced before. I never saw them when I lived in Boise, and it's probably too dry. So stay in the West and don't worry about them lol

Old 07-10-2019, 10:08 PM

73 posts, read 93,396 times
Quote:
Yes, yellow jackets are like bees, and they do sting but typically only if provoked. I'm surprised you don't have them in Cali.
BTW, California actually has alot of yellow jackets. The only time I saw them was on a trip to Catalina Island for vacation. While in Catalina, I was scared the whole time because there were huge swarms of them everywhere. They were in the campsite I was in (Two Harbors) and there were also black flies that are annoying. Maybe the black flies are typical in Idaho, but idk.

Also, yellow jackets are uncommon in the area. That is true. I havent seen one in the urban Los Angeles (and your community has tons of them), but the fact that California has no yellow jackets, completely false. They exist, but not in human civilization.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
First of all Yellow Jackets are a "Wasp" NOT a bee. Bee's are considerably more tolerant of humans and don't tend to sting unless seriously provoked. A Yellow Jacket is VERY aggressive and will sting just because you are in their way or near a food source or their nest, in which you're toast if you are. They also burrow in the ground as well so many step on their areas and get stung that way. The really bad thing other than getting stung in general, is they can sting over and over again (remember they are wasps NOT bees and don't have a one sting and they die policy).

They can be found throughout the entire U.S. but are even MORE prevalent in western states especially the mountain west. They are particularly attracted to meat (dead or alive although dead is one of their favorites) and sweet. So don't drink sweet tea, soda or have candy bars out or you are fair game. They are notorious for invading picnicks and campsites and such. As mentioned they can be held in check or in some cases eradicated with a competent pest control company on board. But out and about forget about it that's their territory. Keep an epi pen handy if you have allergies to their venoms.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:06 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008user View Post
Hello everyone
I am wondering if you guys in the Boise Metro Area have really bad bug problems in your communities. I am from California where there are not that many bug problems (which in my area, they are rarer than earthquakes).

Since your community has many Californians, how do they view the bug problems in their communities? I am interested to know because I am interested in living in Idaho in the future, and wonder if bugs are really the issue. I have a huge bug phobia, but I can take butterflies and moths, but not other insects. Are there bug problems in general, such as mosquitos, and spiders?

If you answer on this thread, I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you

Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
We have lots of bugs. I would stay away from Idaho.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
We have lots of bugs. I would stay away from Idaho.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:50 PM

127 posts, read 140,651 times
Quote:

The mormon cricket swarms are up in the foothills and OMG it is the scariest end of times sight you will ever see. There are millions of them. They cover the entire road and have caused accidents. They're nightmare fuel.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosherry View Post
The mormon cricket swarms are up in the foothills and OMG it is the scariest end of times sight you will ever see. There are millions of them. They cover the entire road and have caused accidents. They're nightmare fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area