Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 12:00 AM

5,558 posts, read 4,905,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBoosted View Post
First off I have been searching on this...Not just on this forum but elsewhere as well. Yes I've read about inversions, compared weather data between where I'm at now and there (it seems temps are milder in Boise and you get less precipitation than I do here in Colorado Springs). Before I ask my remaining questions his let me put them into context.

I currently live in Colorado Springs so I get the low humidity/high desert thing (actually love it). My wife and I are going to Boise to do some research on it next week as the altitude where we are at (7000') is causing her some health concerns that, we believe, will be relieved by getting to a lower altitude. We prefer low humidity, some type of topography/geography vs flat, and an airport where I can still travel for work (I cover the western half of the U.S. so BOI mostly checks that box), as well as avoiding the cost and traffic of places like California (no, we are not from there originally).

Snow here is great... super fluffy, not slushy. It's usually gone in a day or 2 when the sun comes out, even if we don't get above freezing. We don't salt the roads here, instead we use a brine of magnesium chloride which is nice as it doesn't rot out our cars. After searching it seems there may be some similarities in how quickly snow goes away in Boise vs here. Confirm/deny/comments?

Summer time in Colorado means beautiful mornings but in the afternoon typically means high winds (teens to 20s depending on what's going on) thunderstorms and hail. The hail I could do without as it means the odds of your car getting obliterated are pretty high (as is your full coverage insurance) including your roof replacement intervals on your house. I'd say during the summer time it's common for at least some part of the metro to get hail 2-3 times per week. Many times it's just pea size so it's practically harmless but you never know when golfballs and baseballs are coming until it's too late. I haven't come across any info/comments regarding similar weather in Boise. Can anyone shed some light on this?

We are originally from the Gulf Coast and love seafood (doesn't have to be just sourced from the Gulf Coast). Most land locked places I've traveled to have it flown in fresh on a regular basis. For example I can get fresh (not frozen) scallops, salmon, crawfish (when in season), and even oysters here pretty regularly. However, I do realize I'm an hour away from an international airport so the frequency/quantity of the seafood that gets flown in here is pretty good. Does Boise offer any decent seafood (whether fresh/raw or at local restaurants) regularly/semi-regularly?

Thanks, and looking forward to visiting next week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 08:04 AM

289 posts, read 305,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChevelle View Post
I think it is insanely dry here, but I grew up in STL so......
Oh definitely perspective goes a long way in this department. It must be why Californians acclimate so well. I'm from the Puget Sound (PNW) so the lack of precipitation outside of winter is certainly noticed. I thought central MT was dry...

Old 07-26-2019, 09:54 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,217,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBoosted View Post
Thanks Big... Can you provide some light on to how frequently it hails there?
Less often than Colorado or Texas which are the two biggest hail states.

I was born in Colorado Springs. I would say Boise and Colorado Springs have a similar climate, different weather. You don't get the front range afternoon showers.

My parents considered Colorado Springs to have slightly better weather than Boise, but not by a lot.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 875 times
I was born and raised on a farm in rural Kansas, and moved to Boise around 2 years ago. I spent the better part of near 35 years in Kansas, with short stints elsewhere. The difference in weather couldn't be more opposite (at least in the time I've been here). Back home it was severely erratic weather patterns, storms, tornadoes, hail, high humidity, and extremely high winds...there's a reason that nearly every tree in Kansas leans to the north.

Regardless of all that, Boise and Idaho in general are very, very dry and generally don't really get huge variances in weather patterns from day to day. For once in my life I can step outside and go for a short walk without coming home drenched from head to toe in sweat. I still find it funny when my neighbors and co-workers complain about it being "muggy" outside, as I haven't experienced any humidity since we've lived here (all a matter of perspective of course). Also, your not going to get the erratic weather and baseball/basketball sized hail in Idaho. This has been a huge benefit for us, because we've saved so much on home and auto insurance due to the lack of any real significant weather. Overall, Idaho has provided what I would consider the most stable weather patterns of anywhere I've been...hot, dry summers...moderate dry fall/spring...snowy winters.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:41 PM

How does Boise weather compare to Rigby, Blackfoot or Idaho Falls?

Old 07-26-2019, 10:03 PM

6,330 posts, read 7,676,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Boise is hotter in the summer. Take a look at the data pages for each city right here on City Data. There are some pretty good graphs that show the weather of each city. Right-click on "City-Data.com" on the upper-right hand corner of this page. Then "Open Link in New Window", or "...Tab". Another source is the climographs on Wikipedia for each city.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-26-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Boise is hotter in the summer. Take a look at the data pages for each city right here on City Data. There are some pretty good graphs that show the weather of each city. Right-click on "City-Data.com" on the upper-right hand corner of this page. Then "Open Link in New Window", or "...Tab". Another source is the climographs on Wikipedia for each city.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:47 AM

289 posts, read 305,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfyn Dafydd View Post
Regardless of all that, Boise and Idaho in general are very, very dry and generally don't really get huge variances in weather patterns from day to day.
Will I stop hearing "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes" from now on?

I suppose it's funny (or obnoxious) that you hear that all over the country as if it's unique to that region. Boise doesn't belong in that group. The Plains can have ownership of that one.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:45 AM

29,175 posts, read 22,157,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
In very general terms, all of the Upper Snake River Valley is higher, colder, and less humid than the Treasure Valley. It also has more wind with fewer dead calm days. The temperature in all 3 is always very similar, as they're only 30 miles or so apart; Idaho Falls is in the middle, 25 miles north of Blackfoot, and Rigby is about 7 miles north of Idaho Falls. I.F. and Blackfoot both lie alongside the Snake River.

All 3 also lie on the eastern edge of the Snake River Plain, which stretches westward all the way to the Nevada/Oregon border on the west and south. The plain is both a wind generator and an enormous funnel for the prevailing Pacific winds. This causes all 3 to have a constant small air motion, hence our breeze.

It keeps our air very clean and clear, but during any passage of a big weather front, there's stronger wind. It also keeps our humidity lower than the Treasure Valley, even though there are as many rivers here and as much irrigation.

All 3 lie at the base of the foothills that gradually climb upward to the ridge of the Great Divide, which lies about 80 miles eastward of Idaho Falls. The entire eastern edge of the state shares this upward tilt. Idaho Falls lies at 4400 feet, and the other two have similar elevations.

Here in Idaho, elevation makes a big difference in temperature. Higher=colder. Since Idaho has very rough terrain, two cities can only be a few miles apart on a map, but one can be much higher than the other and so its colder year round.
In the summer, Boise can be 100º, and I.F. will be 90. In the winter, Boise can be 0º, and Idaho Falls will be -10. The Treasure Valley is called Idaho's banana belt as a result.

The only city that's different is Pocatello. It lies in a hole like Boise. bounded by higher ground on 3 sides, so Pocatello tends to be warmer and less breezy.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:03 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,445,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post
Will I stop hearing "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes" from now on?
NOPE! LOL I heard it all the time in IN, and all the time now on the Outer Banks of NC. Like 'they' say... 'Everyone talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it"... Time for another 'head-slap' emoticon! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area