Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:12 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times

Advertisements

I went to the one at Fairview & Milwaukee, since it is about 2 minutes from my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 04:02 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I went to the one at Fairview & Milwaukee, since it is about 2 minutes from my house.
Okay that's the one I always go to. Funny I've never noticed wacked out aisles, except in the meat department. Impossible to find anything in those kitty wampus bin-type freezers they have.

I've never been in the one on Front/Myrtle but I assume it's laid out better since it's much newer.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:09 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Now that's curious, the situation is the exact opposite in Chicago. Dominick's (a Safeway company) charges astronomically high prices and has cut most local brands. As a result, they've lost half their market share, and have closed a significant number of stores. Jewel, on the other hand, (an Albertsons and now Super Valu company) is certainly not the cheapest place for groceries, but much better then Dominick's, and it still feels like the same local store we've always shopped at.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:04 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,961 times
I'm not sure how I'd classify Fred Meyer's than. It seems to not really be a grocery store.

There is a WinCo out here. It's fairly new. I'll go in and check it out.

We have a budget offering from SaveMart called "FoodMaxx" which offers very good prices, limited selection, but in old, dingy, smelly retail spaces...and you do bag your own groceries.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 PM

5 posts, read 21,041 times
What cracks me up the most is how everyone talks about how they really WANT a Whole Foods (er...whole paycheck) in Boise... They are 10 times higher than Albertsons... I used to shop exclusively at Albertsons, but when I noticed my grocery bill was up by over 50% a year and a half ago, I began hoofing it up to Winco. I go to Albertsons for quick trips, or certain things I can't get at Winco. I occassionally go to Fred Meyers - if I have more than groceries to get, and want a one-stop shop. I REFUSE however, to go to Wal-mart. They are crooks.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:27 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGBOI View Post
What cracks me up the most is how everyone talks about how they really WANT a Whole Foods (er...whole paycheck) in Boise... They are 10 times higher than Albertsons... I used to shop exclusively at Albertsons, but when I noticed my grocery bill was up by over 50% a year and a half ago, I began hoofing it up to Winco. I go to Albertsons for quick trips, or certain things I can't get at Winco. I occassionally go to Fred Meyers - if I have more than groceries to get, and want a one-stop shop. I REFUSE however, to go to Wal-mart. They are crooks.
I like Whole Foods for things other than groceries. I go there for a slice of pizza or a burrito. I go there for beer. I also have bought soaps and other stuff there.

I would need the salary of an aristocrat to actually shop there for weekly grocery needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area