Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:41 AM

229 posts, read 703,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Isn't it Pastor Joe? He is a good guy.
I don't know about the hierarchy at Calvary, but Bob is the Senior Pastor. I just get more out of the teachings from Lead Pastor Paul at The Pursuit, and I like Paul's personality more.

The music is very prevalent for the worship, which I wasn't accustomed to when I used to go to traditional masses. I was raised by parents who love their masses without any music at all. They love a 30 minute wham bam git-er-done ceremony (services at hospitals are the best bet for this, by the way). So I'm surprised how much it has enhanced my experience. I admit that I think they go a little overboard with the amount of songs played. Six songs are usually played, and I wish they would taper it down to four. But I know I'm in the extreme minority here because there was a questionnaire about that very topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 03:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,862,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenfan View Post
I don't know about the hierarchy at Calvary, but Bob is the Senior Pastor. I just get more out of the teachings from Lead Pastor Paul at The Pursuit, and I like Paul's personality more.
I think I'm thinking of another church with a name like "The Something". The one I'm thinking of came out of Northview.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 8,886 times
you're not thinking of North Point are you? Andy Stanley? btw, the Pursuit is a dangerous place that looks great on the outside, once you get inside, there is no hierarchy except for pastor Paul Hatfield and his group of yes men (elders, which btw includes Hatfield). I hope its changed since I spoke up and got kicked out for it, but it only got worse the three years I was there. Shame too, cause there are some great people that God has put there whose service is being squandered by a prideful man's Pursuit of a name for himself.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:22 PM

165 posts, read 660,542 times
Try St. Mark's on Cole Road, I used to go to their youth mass on Sunday evening because it was relaxed but it was also a good mix of all age groups. St. John's is definitley more traditional and stuffy. I also liked Holy Apostle in Meridian

Old 10-10-2008, 07:32 PM

229 posts, read 703,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyD View Post
you're not thinking of North Point are you? Andy Stanley? btw, the Pursuit is a dangerous place that looks great on the outside, once you get inside, there is no hierarchy except for pastor Paul Hatfield and his group of yes men (elders, which btw includes Hatfield). I hope its changed since I spoke up and got kicked out for it, but it only got worse the three years I was there. Shame too, cause there are some great people that God has put there whose service is being squandered by a prideful man's Pursuit of a name for himself.
Things have changed for me since my last post about The Pursuit. I've left there as well. I liked Paul as a pastor and as a down-to-earth guy you can relate to and still think he's a solid teacher. But ultimately two things doomed me. One was when I realized that I disagreed enough with the "If it says it in the Bible, it must be followed" evangelical mindset to where I didn't think I could ever be the ideal parishioner they seem to want everyone to be, thus possibly affecting my acceptance level once I start questioning principles. Another was that it didn't help that they're really into wanting you to go out and be proactive in terms of talking about your faith and getting faith-challenged or non-believers to come to a service. But that's not me and never will be me. Religion is a very private matter for me where I won't discuss it unless it's with people I know really well and trust and can confide in. They're so gung-ho about it to where I was thinking: "Well, let's go to a place where they AREN'T so gung-ho."

I don't want this to be a bash-The-Pursuit thing, and I don't harbor ill will. This is more of a "your mileage may vary" kind of post. I don't find them to be dangerous like Crazy D did, but then again he/she would've been privy to a lot more negativity going on (though I admit I've heard things that put a bad taste in my mouth). They were responsible for me renewing my faith, which is the kind of people they actively seek out. But they weren't the church for me to keep me on the path. Since they and Calvary seem to be linked together a lot, I doubt Calvary would be the right one for me either. They might be a "relaxed church" during the courtship process, but more liberal-minded people with faith need to know that things might not be so liberal for you once you're in.

I'll reiterate what I said in a prior post in that if you can tolerate it, you undoubtedly could not get more relaxed and liberal than going to the local MCC church that caters to gays and lesbians. I've seen services elsewhere on public access TV before, and in a nutshell the attention is focused more on tolerance and how God loves every single one of us instead of bringing up Bible verses to prove that gays are going to hell. It would definitely be considered "watered down" religion to evangelicals, but go with what you're comfortable with.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 11,341 times
Hi there. We go to St Marks and really like it after trying a lot of other churches. We like St Marks because of the international diversity of members and the fact that the church is smaller.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:58 PM

133 posts, read 287,930 times
Like others here, I don't know what you mean by "liberal Catholic church". Seems like a contradiction in terms. There are no fire and brimstone sermons at any of the churches in the diocese that I have seen. Being Catholic means accepting a certain amount of conformality, though. There does seem to be slight differences in demographics between churches. My parish, St. Marys has a good mix of white and blue collar, hispanics, and even refugees from Rwanda/Burundi. I chose to school my kids there mainly because, unlike other schools that just sent me an application in the mail, the principal called me up and invited me to meet and tour. I was impressed by the friendliness and comfort there.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyD View Post
Wow, apparently since CrazyD VanHofwegen moved up to Moscow to go back to school his mind has gotten a little fuzzy. We are definitely not a church for everybody, but no one has ever been kicked out, including him. I would encourage anyone reading this post to check it out for yourself. We aren't for everybody for sure, but if you are looking for a place that is serious about Jesus and the Bible, definitely come and see. The Pursuit has grown from 18 to over 1500 people in five years. No one is there for the pastor's name. We've just added another service to make room for more people who have questions about God and the Bible. We will certainly be criticized by the few, but the masses have found it to be an incredible place. Sundays really do rock!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 16,389 times
Default I'm looking for a Catholic church where they say mass in Latin

Hello, everyone!

I, too, recently moved to Boise and I am looking for a Catholic church where they still say mass in Latin.

For the record, I am a very (VERY) conservative Catholic. In fact, I describe myself as a Pre-2nd-Vatican-Council Catholic. I am disturbed and disgusted at the leftist turn the Catholic church is taking pretty much everywhere.

I live quite near Our Lady of the Rosary, but I had to stop going because of the blatant leftism of the deacons and the sermons they preached.

I went to St. Mark's church, near the mall, but that was worse. After a rather vociferous confrontation with the priest (who that day said in his sermon that conservatives were not good Christians), I left that parish, too.

I go to church to hear the word of God, not the word of Marx.

If there are no masses in Latin to be found in Boise, I would be very grateful if someone could suggest a church where I can expect to attend a genuine Catholic service, as opposed to a "community service."

Thank you in advance.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 16,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I have heard many Catholic friends mention that they don't care much for the masses here. I went to mass once at St. Johns Cathedral and was surprised and disgusted that children were allowed to wear shorts and t-shirts to mass, and then they sang rock religious music and it didn't seem very holy to me. It is a shame that such a beautiful building as the Cathedral allows such things, but then I haven't heard many good things about the Bishop of the diocese either.
Nevertheless, the way the Catholic Church is ran in Boise has kept me away. But, I have heard there is a traditional mass somewhere out by Emmett or New Plymouth or somewhere in that area. I keep hearing more and more people who are Catholic here want the Latin mass again.
I just don't get into the chinga chinga/guitar playing pentecostal music that is sang at most of the Catholic Churches I have been to in Boise.
There isn't even a traditional Vespers and that is sad. I even have family members who don't go to mass at the Catheral anymore because they think the diocese is too modern and tradition has been lost.
Syringaloid, you look like someone I could relate to. I'm also fed up with what you accurately call the chinga chinga/guitar playing pentecostal music (lol). Like your family members, I've taken to skip Sunday mass altogether. But now, my mother and my sister are coming to visit me and they go to church regularly (and very much disapprove my "rebellious ways" ). Bless their darling hearts, they believe anything they are told, as long as it "sounds good," and makes them "feel good about themselves."

Funny thing is, when I lived in Portland, ME (you could not find a bluer state anywhere else in the Union), I used to go to the cathedral and enjoy a wonderful service. Strictly the word of God. Period.

Now that I moved to a (allegedly) conservative state, all I find is lefty-leaning churches (even though it looks like most of the attendees don't even realize it, dear souls).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area