Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2020, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,522 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am planning a trip with my family from Sacramento, CA to Boise some time between now and March. We are not familiar with snow driving, as it doesn't snow here. Can anyone please tell me when would be best time to drive between now and March with a lesser amount of snow and also the best route to take? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 08:54 PM

97 posts, read 120,458 times
I would look at the altitude of various routes between Sacramento and Boise, the best route may not be the shortest route because of snow/ice/higher elevations. Then I would adjust my travel dates/plans according to the weather along those routes so you can drive most or all of the way without snow or ice on the roadway which might make a 12 hour drive into a 18 hour drive. Nevada and SE Oregon can be especially sketchy because the roads are less traveled and often go over high mountain passes which are unavoidable no matter what route you take. So plan out the "best" route, then look at the weather forecasts along the route and adjust your plans as necessary. Either that or buy some good snow tires, chains, and put 300-500# of sandbags in the back of your vehicle. Don't forget safety gear, extra clothes, flashlight, etc.. and be prepared to change flat tires and things like that. I would also suggest reading your vehicle owners manual about cruise control and traction control and "tow" mode. Using things like cruise control on snowy roads can easily cause a crash.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
It is completely variable in the winter so it is difficult to predict. Become one with weather channel as they are usually accurate. In good weather you would take I-80 to Winnemucca then US95 to the Boise area (with a few highway changes as you near Boise). Both 80 and 95 are in the snow zone but you usually can get through without a problem unless a major storm is approaching. Got to look at the forecast, both over the Sierra and the mountains of northern Nevada and southwestern Idaho.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:51 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
OP, what vehicle do you have and what tires are on it? I-80 and then US95 N is the most likely route.

Web cams are one of the best ways to get an idea of the snow on a route. Look at them occasionally, off and on, for a few weeks and you can get an idea of how much show is on them. You'll need web cams for NV, OR, and ID for that route. And if you do it ahead of time, then you will be familiar with the sites when you need to see them on your trip.

Here are those sites:
NV: https://nvroads.com/icx/pages/cameras.aspx
OR: https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Custom-Cameras
ID: https://lb.511.idaho.gov/idlb/camera...textOnly=false
And, IMHO, you most likely issue on the route will be getting over I-80 and the CA/NV line, through the Sierras. Hre are the CA cams that cover that area:
Caltrans CCTV Map

If you have not ever driven in snow, and you have a family with you, I suggest you not do this trip if there is snow on the route and have an appropriate car and tires. There is is a lot of VERY rural areas along any route you will take, and it is not the time to learn snow driving with your family in the car.

If you go, then make sure you take extra warm clothes, food, and lots of water, just in case you do get stuck. That is just standard winter driving preparation.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:47 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
From Sacramento, I'd go north on I-5 to Shasta and then north on 97 to Bend, and from Bend, straight east on 26 to Boise

You'll have snow and mountains around Shasta and a lower but possibly snowy pass north of Klamath Falls which is not a difficult one, but most of the route is level and straight.

Oregon road webcams are at ODOT Tripcheck website, also weather updates and road closures.

It can snow anytime, so no possible way to know when there won't be snow.

Do not get off of the main highway anywhere outside of a town. People get into trouble when there is snow and they try to take shortcuts or other routes that GPS suggests.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:58 PM

231 posts, read 250,775 times
For the OP, this is a wet year in CA and you will see some snow into March. If you're trying to avoid snow, waiting until April or May would be a better bet. If you can't wait past March, try and go as late as you can in March. No matter which route you take, you will be driving through a lot of desert country. Your quickest route would be I-80 past Reno to Winnemucca, Nevada. Turn left there on I-95 and you end up in Boise. If you take 395 out of Reno instead, it's an extra 130 miles and even more desolate country. If you take 5 and 97, it's an extra 160 miles and still a lot of desert country. All of the above information by other members is good. It just depends on how flexible you are on trip dates and how much you want to risk getting snow on your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area